PK-5|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

As an alumni of this Shelton's Primary Education Center , I was really excited for my son to attend this school. My son is two, and he is my only offspring. I am deeply saddened to suggest parents should NOT consider Shelton's as a top option for child care and education, until the director is replaced and a modern education plan is set in motion. Within the 4.5 months that my son attended this school, the staff have provided no updates on his growth. His progress report was left blank, with a very small and generic note at the bottom. The school accidentally gave me another students progress report whom is also in the same age group) her report was completed, however other than her name, the comments were exactly the same. I tested my son based off the report given, and he was able to do and say, and complete everything on the check list. I am a very active parent, and it was disheartening to know that parents were NOT ALLOWED (EVER) to stop in and take part in some of the daily activities, once the children are acclimated. I was informed of this, after my son was enrolled, acclimated and making friends. My goal is to watch how my son interacts with his peers, with staff, and visa versa The director Mika McGaffie, is beyond disrespectful. This lady is a former elementary peer of mine, and also an alumni of Shelton's as her family owns the school. Her tone is very condescending, she never knows what is happening when an incident occurs, and this lady had the audacity to tell me "her staff doesn't like me because i don't speak to them in the mornings". I was told that "i question things that i don't understand too much." That was the LAST STRAW for me. This lady thinks i will have my son in a school and just trust that the institution is doing everything they said they will do on the website. no ma'am. I have spoken to other parents whom,have removed their children from Shelton's due to the unruly mouth of the director. This is before sharing my experience with the parents. I have looked high and low for written reviews or feed back from other parents, and the most recent positive review was written in 2007, for the K-5 program. I guess people have very little positive experiences with the 2-5 year old program under Mika's management.

Sheltons is good, but it could be great. Our son has had both amazing and horrible teachers in the two years he has gone here. I wish that Sheltons would focus more on quality control through periodic classroom observations and reflections in order to support, or get rid of , the horrible teachers. The parents and students of Sheltons are amazing. My son has made great friends at this school. There seems to be a good balance between play and academics. They provide great lunches (i.e. chicken and waffles!) and great field trips too. They are losing funding, so the playground equipment is old and the balls are flat. There are some teachers who engage the students on the playground and some who just sit the whole time, drinking coffee, yelling accross the yard. Again, there needs to be some quality control.

I currently have two children at Shelton's who began in the first of the three pre-K classes. I cannot begin to share how much my husband and I value the leadership principals Shelton's as instilled in our children's learning experience. They surpass the cognitive level of many of their cousins around their ages. I beg their parents to please consider Shelton's. Sheltons' instructors are a unit of superior instuctors who are completely devoted to enriching developing minds. They respect every individual childs attributes. I love to brag about the education my children are receiving at Shelton's especially the emphasis on Black heritage and achievements. This is so important for our children. I can not thank the Shelton's directors and staff enough for the the life long committment they have to given the generations of childrens who have passed through the Shelton's education system.

Shelton's is unique in that it is small, independent, family operated with focus on African American pride but it has many issues of concern. The staff & administration are not approachable. Parents are not being heard . It requires going to the top, such as board members but even the top doesn't take responsibility and disregards feedback. Shelton's struggle with funding and enrollment. The building is outdated with hazards especially the playground. There is disrespect amongst the children and choas in the classrooms because there are no clear boundaries set. My child has attended since preschool but we are leaving. Shelton's is not worth the cost.

My child has been a student at this school for a few years now and my family is very pleased. The teachers have all taught her well. She is often exposed to something new and she is excited about going to school everyday. Shelton's has worked together with my family in instilling a level of confidence in my child that is surely going to take her a long way in life. They have also given her a very strong academic foundation. I know she is going to exceed in what ever she chooses to do and I thank Shelton's for being a part of that.

I have been a parent at Shelton's for several years. I am quite pleased with their academic program and extra-curricular offerings. The staff is friendly and from my experience they are open to feedback. If you are interested in checking out Shelton's, I suggest that you take a look at the shool for yourself. I have another child who I fully intend to enroll in Shelton's as soon as he becomes of age. Shelton's is a unique educational institution that I beleive is a great place to learn.

I'm a new parent at the school with a child in Pre-K. I am very excited about the new board and the direction the school is going. The school seems to be open to parent involvement and wants our opinion

Shelton's quality of service has gone down. The professionalism is nonexistant. Making money and being frugal seems to be more priority then having a solid teaching curriculum They seem to have dropped the ball on education. Especially for the 1-4 graders.

While Shelton may have made a name for itself in the past, largely due to the passion of its founders. Today is a new day and the school is nothing short of attending a public school. they have not been practicing what they preach. And a lot of parents are no longer feeling compelled to be involved.

While Shelton's may have made a name for itself in the past for excellence in education as an independent school; today it shares the same struggles as many publicly funded schools: over worked, under paid teachers, (in some cases under qualified), overrun/outdated facilities, and a stagnant curriculum. Although the landscape for independent school are continuously being challenged by external variables (economic fluctuations, new charter schools, etc) The majority of independent schools in the East Bay have seen a steady increase in enrollment and have been able to turn lemons into lemonade. Unfortunately, by comparison, it appears that Shelton's has not faired as well. Shelton's impetus for running this school like a family business verse a non profit was once considered endearing and naive, has regretfully become their Achilles heel. It is my hope that one day the school will be able to reclaim their status as a 'great place to learn'.

Last modified Shelton's Primary Education Center is a Private school that serves grades PK-5