Posted June 19, 2014
My child has enjoyed both very good and less than stellar years at OPE. If your child is placed with a dedicated teacher, then he/she will learn and grow. If not, you're out of luck. Also, there is way too much homework, so much so that my child does nothing else after a day of an extracurricular activity. I have not had a good experience with the Principal. She does not want to hear what she does not agree with. On the other hand, parental involvement and parental financial contributions are outstanding.

Posted June 19, 2014
Agree with the prior more recent reviews. Excellent school for the most part but definitely caters to certain parents - interesting how the children of those parents always get the best teachers. Too much homework and not impressed at all with the principal. She was not willing to work with me as a parent and non-responsive to the needs of my child.

Posted September 19, 2013
Excellent school! The teachers care, and our kids have learned a lot. My ONLY problem is that there is too much homework. My older child often doesn't have time for anything else after school. I still gave 5 stars because I think all California schools might be like this (my nephews have same issue in LA). Otherwise great school. Organized, nice facilities, and fantastic programs.

Posted September 16, 2013
We love OPE. Our daughter is happy and learning a lot. The teachers have been wonderful and the principal is focused on many important issues that affect our children and schools. We moved to Encinitas for the schools and we have been more than pleased.

Posted August 29, 2013
Excellent school overall- except for the new principal. A lot of homework, we do not have time to get it all done and go to outside sports. My kids are up until late at night finishing work after sports. Good teachers for the most part, however, we are NOT impressed with the new principal, she is very political and caters only to certain parents. Classes are not mixed in a balanced way- we see this year after year there. They would do so much better drawing names out of a hat than the unfair way they place students currently.

Posted August 27, 2013
Our kids have recently started their second year at O.P.E. and we are very happy to be at this school. The faculty collaborates with parents to try to resolve your special requests or concerns. The teachers we have had are all above par, and love teaching. It shows in the dedication to their students and their relationships with the children. The Principal is new, and she has proved herself over the past year. Olivenhain Pioneer enjoys very strong community support and a high degree of parent involvement, which creates a strong sense of community for our children. All the families we have met are open and welcoming.

Posted November 29, 2012
This school has many positive aspects however much has been overrated. The test scores have much to do with the parent support children get at home both directly from the parent and often through tutors that they hire. The homework load is beyond what is necessary leaving little time for recreational activities. OPE had a great principal over the last few years unfortunately left over the summer. While there are some good teachers many make the absolute minimum effort. A strong emphasis on kids being organized seems to take precedence over reasoning and knowledge. The school as a whole enjoys strong parental support and parents. Parents are asked to contribute far more money than other Encinitas schools. It is a shame that given that there is little evidence to suggest that the content and methodologies employed within the classroom in anyway match up to this.

Posted September 26, 2011
Reading reviews online can be somewhat misleading due to the individual motivations and circumstances of each parent writing a review. I have had children at OPE for years and have found teachers and administrators to be very responsive to any concerns or questions my children or I have had. Bullying is taken very seriously at OPE and there has been a great deal of communication and education with the children and staff about its harmful effects. I would highly recommend calling the school office and scheduling time to meet the principal and tour the school before making a decision based on one person's experience.

Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School 3

Posted September 24, 2011
Not a day goes by that I don't thank God that my kids are out of this school. I am grateful to the kid who beat up my kid who beat up my kid right in front of the principal while she stood next to me and laughed insisting they were playing. My son was clear that they were not. I pulled all 3 of my kids out of the school because of the constant bullying and disrespectful attitudes of the students and parents. I declined buying a beautiful house in the area because I didn't want my kids to be anywhere near the kids who beat them up. It's a big impersonal school where the teachers don't seemed too concerned about the individual student. If they don't do their homework or tuen it in, the teachers don't let yhe parents know.Too big for it's britches. Mediocre but likes to blow it's own horn. My kids are in better schools now, so I am grateful to the kids who beat them up or I never would have known how many better schools there are.

Posted June 16, 2011
My niece and nephew attend this school and I am highly impressed with the quality education they receive at this school. It's a right balance of education mixed with strong family participation and fun. My niece and nephew are constantly showing me their homework and artwork they do during the shool year, and their recent 'Grandparents Day' was a hit both for the kids and the Grandparents. Reminds me of the Elementary School my brother and I attended back in Maryland. The kids will never forget their Elementary school experience.

Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School
8000 Calle Acervo, Carlsbad, CA  92009
(760) 943-2000
Last modified Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top