Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

There are some amazing teachers, and also some terrible ones. Just like another school we were at, just like every school. You cross your fingers and pray.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Way too much. I think the "district policy" is an hour and 1/2 in 6th grade, which is terrible and goes against all research. Kids are stressed out

Develops character: Disagree

They pit the students against each other. While constantly preaching a "no bullying" policy, they pit the students and classes against each other to raise the most money, using peer pressure. Terrible lesson! They also don't do anything positive to nurture the community, just constantly tell the kids "Don't do this, don't do that" Its a very negative environment, very institutional

This school has been run into the ground in past few years by lack of leadership, which caters to certain parents and ignores the kids. The leadership style is negative and critical; there is more communication about the state tests and asking for $ than anything else. Not one kid is excited about the "community" of the school. They want $$/per child from each parent and no input or oversight. Many of the programs have been left to rot (garden, etc). There are some fantastic teachers, that is the only reason for any stars. Many of the parents have a "whatever I need to do for my child" attitude, rather than a sense of doing what's best for the school and community. Many many people have left, enrollment is way down. I have been at schools with leadership both good and bad- this is bad and bringing down the school.

The teachers and the staff are great and the education is first-rate. However, I am docking two stars from my rating because according to NBC news today -- Olivenhein Pioneer Elementary School has the second highest percentage of unvaccinated students in San Diego County. According to NBC News 17% of students are not vaccinated due to medical or personal beliefs.

My child has enjoyed both very good and less than stellar years at OPE. If your child is placed with a dedicated teacher, then he/she will learn and grow. If not, you're out of luck. Also, there is way too much homework, so much so that my child does nothing else after a day of an extracurricular activity. I have not had a good experience with the Principal. She does not want to hear what she does not agree with. On the other hand, parental involvement and parental financial contributions are outstanding.

Agree with the prior more recent reviews. Excellent school for the most part but definitely caters to certain parents - interesting how the children of those parents always get the best teachers. Too much homework and not impressed at all with the principal. She was not willing to work with me as a parent and non-responsive to the needs of my child.

Excellent school! The teachers care, and our kids have learned a lot. My ONLY problem is that there is too much homework. My older child often doesn't have time for anything else after school. I still gave 5 stars because I think all California schools might be like this (my nephews have same issue in LA). Otherwise great school. Organized, nice facilities, and fantastic programs.

We love OPE. Our daughter is happy and learning a lot. The teachers have been wonderful and the principal is focused on many important issues that affect our children and schools. We moved to Encinitas for the schools and we have been more than pleased.

Excellent school overall- except for the new principal. A lot of homework, we do not have time to get it all done and go to outside sports. My kids are up until late at night finishing work after sports. Good teachers for the most part, however, we are NOT impressed with the new principal, she is very political and caters only to certain parents. Classes are not mixed in a balanced way- we see this year after year there. They would do so much better drawing names out of a hat than the unfair way they place students currently.

Last modified Olivenhain Pioneer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.