Posted February 22, 2014
Horible! This will be my second year at Rancho with my son and let me tell you staff can careless about helping your child out. Even when it comes to just returning a phone call. My son got his bike stollen and the school staff don't care to show any concern. Went in to speak with The assistant principal and to my face he acted like he cared but when I left that room never heard back from him. Which is bothersome that I told him my son had a idea who could've stollen his bike. Again staff is horrible!

Rancho Del Rey Middle School 3

Posted November 17, 2013
I went to Rancho last year, until my family moved us up north. I actually had a fun time there since I knew most of the people and grew up with them ever since elementary school. However, I did see a lot of kids being bullied and many were lonely. I would hear a lot of girls talking behind each others backs, and fights happened. Don't get me wrong, there were only like 2-3 fights last year, but there was bullying nonetheless. There's just a lot of people there that think they are superior to others, and there is definitely a separation of the popular and the "nerds". The academic portion of this school was okay, although they could have pushed me a bit more. The school I'm going to now is definitely better- academically and socially. Overall, it was an okay school it just had a lot of bullying.

Rancho Del Rey Middle School 5

Posted September 01, 2013
My child is now in 8th grade at Rancho and LOVES it. The teachers are amazing. Office staff & counselors are friendly, respond quickly to phone calls - even "off hours" - and have always been there to help in any situation. While she was bullied in elementary school, she has not had any problems at Rancho. She says the kids are nice; they are smart; and she actually enjoys going to school! The accellerated classes are excellent. The school is beautiful, clean, grounds are gorgeous. This place has its act together. Can't recommend it highly enough. Feel so blessed that we are able to have our child attending there. 3 class on/3-class off is a great schedule & allows the kids to spend more time learning vs. running from class to class all day. My child comes home with stories each day about things discussed in class & her teachers. She LOVES the teachers! That says it all. She works hard because they've have helped motivate & challenge her, & I can see the confidence & pride this has given her. I hope high school is as wonderful an experience as Rancho, & look forward to the same excellence in education at Rancho for my other children when they enter 7th grade. A+!

Posted June 13, 2013
I love this school. Teachers really helped me throughout the year. There's clubs and different things you can enjoy here. The campus may be big, but I've never gotten lost and I like the block schedule. 123 on one day and the next day is 456 day. I was bullied in elementary school, but in Rancho I wasn't. It changed my life because I made new friends and I did really well in this school. So Rancho is a wonderful school in my opinion.

Rancho Del Rey Middle School 5

Posted June 13, 2013
Rancho really helped me throughout the year. It's an excellent school because teacher's are there to help you and you make a lot of friends. The year has been really great

Posted June 12, 2013
This school is ridiculously overcrowded and the staff only wants to pass the children through -- like cattle. They don't care if your child fails, they just want to pass them along so the next wave of children can come through. Unfortunately, my child did really poorly the entire time while he was at Rancho Del Rey, although I BEGGED his teachers and administration for assistance. It's a shame because this was his "transition" school from being an elementary school kid to a teenager; the lack of concern from his teachers really destroyed his self esteem and did not prepare him for high school. I really, REALLY wish I had enrolled him in another school.

Posted April 19, 2013
My child started out here and was bullied, tortured, and made a fool of even by teachers reading her work Outloud and mocking her. We are now looking into enrolling her in Pilgrim Lutheran. We are in the middle of getting tuition assistance application done. This new school will be safe, willing to work with us financially (trust me, we can't afford it but they are so helpful.) and will just be a better place for my daughter. They principal even takes calls on her cell on weekends...where will you find that?

Posted February 12, 2013
Horrible!!!!! My son was bullied, teased and treated horribly at this school. The staff and teachers aren't friendly. School has waaaaaaaaay to many kids, this makes it hard for kids to adjust here. The kids at this school are very cliquish and not very welcoming to new students. My son did well at every school he attended but not at this school!!

Posted December 04, 2012
My daughter moved to this school for 8th grade, and she has been bullied to the point where she cuts herself and cries in her closet. Sometimes she comes home from school happy, but it doesnt last long, in a few days she'll come home with no emotion and wont eat.

Rancho Del Rey Middle School 4

Posted October 11, 2012
I feel that Rancho is a great school. They offer accelerated classes if you want your child to be challenged. The teachers have always returned my e-mails within 24 hours...even on weekends. I do wish that they had more teachers participating in online grading, but we do have a few and it has been super helpful. Our principal is very approachable and has a "coffee with the principal" monthly to update us about Rancho. My son has a new councelor this year who has been extremely helpful. She has even set us up with a 6year plan to prepare for college. They do have a PTSO where parents can get involved. Rancho is always trying to recruit parents, so I am very surprised to read about how they are so not welcoming. I receive an e-blast weekly that tells me of all upcoming events. If you are not receiving them, then call the school and they will get you on it. Get involved...go to meetings...go to the parent workshops when they offer them!

Rancho Del Rey Middle School
1174 East J Street, Chula Vista, CA  91910
Last modified Rancho Del Rey Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rancho Del Rey Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top