Posted April 30, 2014
Both myself, and my brother attended Sumner Kindergarten-6th Grade. The staff is so lovely and so personable, that my brother and I still keep in contact with the teachers that we had at Sumner. Danbury School was integrated onto the campus my 2nd grade year, and it taught me to treat everyone the same, no matter what their differences may be. That is a great lesson to teach at such an impressionable age. I have stayed in Sumner's district so that my future children will be able to attend such an amazing school.

Posted January 27, 2014
Hi my name is Neil Solis and I married Cindy Sanchez 6 months ago. Both us started in Kindergarden and graduated from Sumner 2001. I Believe Sumner is a great place to send your kids, they will develop great relationship skills and graduate with a drive to want to become someone great. Several of my graduating classmates are successful people doing amazing things for this country and their communities. Hope this helps!

Posted August 03, 2013
Sumner Elementary is one of the most diverse schools I've encountered, and they celebrate this diversity in many ways-- both academically and through extra curricular activities . The teachers, staff and student body are like a close family. I could not be more pleased with an elementary school. I feel my kids are being well served and will grow not only academically but also into great compassionate citizens from being a part of the Sumner Family.

Posted July 30, 2013
Sumner is a great school. They teach kids to be well rounded human beings, not just good test takers. I have 3 children currently attending Sumner, and I wouldn't want to send them anywhere else. I noticed that in the student demographic section of your site, that there are no Hispanic students at Sumner. Seriously? Perhaps you should check your facts before putting them out publicly. People use this site to help make decisions about important things in their lives, like buying a home in a good district, or which school is best for their children. This rating of Sumner is a travesty, and an insult, and not factual.

Posted July 09, 2013
Sumner is a wonderfully diverse school with excellent teachers and committed parents. Having Danbury School right next door makes Sumner even more special.

Posted March 22, 2013
This is a wonderful school and very good at maintaining a homework/life balance. The teachers and administration are very helpful, and it's a welcoming community to any parent. It's also a great place for anyone with a child that needs a little extra help (either academically or physically). Because of their close relationship to Danbury, kids get to view children with disabilities as just children. A good lesson I think!

Posted January 22, 2013
I am concerned that this rating may be incorrect. According to other school rating sites, CA state ranks this school an 8, not a 6. I am urging greatschools.net to review this. Its api score is 860. Other local schools with similar scores (sycamore's api is 864 and mountain api is 862) are ranked 8.

Sumner Elementary School 3

Posted October 03, 2012
Not sure why this school is getting the lowest score in town? I would love to see the evidence backing it. Everyone knows this isn't the lowest school. There are other schools below 860. Confusing to parents trying to make good choices for children. Scoring Average 3 starts because I have not been here long enough to fully rate. So far pretty good.

Posted September 10, 2012
How can an overall API of 860 garner this school a score of 6!? That's ridiculous. Sumner is a great school with a lovely staff and I have no idea how sites like this hand out low rankings for such a well-performing school.

Posted July 23, 2012
An earlier review stated that "Sumner is the great secret of the Claremont school district!" I couldn't agree more. I had three of my children attend Sumner and they all had a great education. Having taught in other districts I have seen the overemphasis placed on test scores. Sumner does a great job of looking at the whole child. That is something that Sumner needs to keep.

Sumner Elementary School
1770 Sumner Avenue, Claremont, CA  91711
Last modified Sumner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sumner Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top