Dana Point, CA
Students enrolled: 2,830

Dana Hills High School 5

Posted May 12, 2015
I have had experiences with both Dana hills and Aliso Niguel high school. I was disappointed with Aliso HS & Avms, Dana is way better, I couldn't ask for a better high school than Dana hills. It has the best of everything, location, programs, advanced education, extra curricular activities, sports teams, staff, principle. And you can't beat the SOCSA program. My child has thoroughly enjoyed being part of SOCSA. The office manager is a lovely women. The campus although old, has had many upgrades and will have many more upgrades every year. The parents are extremely supportive and donate time and money for the school. The only things that could be improved are the large class sizes, some of the teachers have been there a while and can get burnt out and seem to take it out on the kids, the guidance counselors need a bit improvement in the communications department and when the students go ask them for help they sometimes send them away because they are too busy. Let me remind you, your job is to listen and help students. Other than that, our family loves Dana Hills high school, 2 generations. Go Blue!

Dana Hills High School 1

Posted April 06, 2015
My 15 year old student received a $200 ticket for crossing the street in front of Dana Hills High School. When I contacted Dana Hills to find out what was going on, they said they wanted the kids to walk 100 yards to a crosswalk, so no one gets hurt. I told the office manager, why don't they just send out an email notification and communicate with the students and parents of the issue like they do with everything else, instead of ticketing the students. Their response was its not our job, but the police officer is here in the office if you would like to speak to him. They are claiming they don't want kids to get hurt, but aren't willing to notify them of the situation. So now the City of Dana Hills collects $200 at our expense, so unfortunately we will have to remove it from funds we would have paid to the high school to support the school. This is not a smart practice to have a police officer at the school ticketing students, without even sending out notices of the issue ahead of time.
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 29, 2014
DANA is great school if your child is AP/Honors, OR has special needs. The resources for these two groups of students is excellent. BUT if you have an average student, BEWARE. My oldest child was all AP/Honors and graduated with a scholarship to a top 20 DIV I university. My second and third children are good students, but are more average. I pulled my daughter out of DANA for this Fall and my son, a freshman, will not attend DANA. They are going to private school. MY daughter had 40 kids in her Algebra II class, and in one class had to wait a few weeks to get a desk or table to sit. She sat on the floor. Her 0 Period teacher was consistently late and missed 4 days last year.NO sub could be found so the kids sat by the cafeteria and some do homework , while others did nothing.I was told by a head administrator, this IS a problem, and it is hard to find subs for 6:30am. A teacher that is consistently 10 min late several times a week and missed class 4 days last year, HOW much time was my daughter robbed in math? 0-4 period no longer an option. School makes more money per student when they have class after lunch. Student has job,sports, doesn't want to miss school?NOT pro student
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 29, 2014
DANA is great if you are AP/Honors, or disabled. The teacher/student ratio is misleading at 1:27. That is average. The smallest classes are AP/Honors, which skews their stats. My oldest child had 21 kids in her AP Calc class. My second had 40 kids in reg Algebra2. My oldest had 25 in Hon English,My second had 38 in reg English. Average students are among ALL average kids.Some want to learn ,others do not.It's NOT an environment conducive for average students to learn. Teachers are overwhelmed with so many over crowded classes. DANA is 42 years old and resembles a prison. It is dark and dreary, and in need of major renovation. Many teachers, students and parents give much support in giving their time to make things better. It's not enough.It is sad such a beautiful campus, be neglected.How many public schools boast an OCEAN view? Broken air conditioners in many over crowded classes, makes for a poor learning environment.I feel for students who were LOCKED DOWN 4hrs last May. My child was there. Take a stand!Hit the District in the wallet,by home schooling, school online& private,Money talks! My child won't be returning to DH,but heading to a private school.My 9th grader, the same
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 05, 2014
Teachers are amazing and truly have a passion to teach. But the downside to this school is the staff.
2 people found this helpful

Dana Hills High School 1

Posted September 27, 2013
I grew up in Dana Point and went to this and every school in the area till freshmen year. Parents, be aware; your kids are around offfers to others parents pills, and many other types of drugs that lead them off track, I say this from experience. PAY ATTENTION TO WHO YOU'RE KIDS HANG OUT WITH. Dana Point is a mix of both bad and good backgrounds, good luck.
4 people found this helpful

Posted December 16, 2012
Academics----good. Teachers Vary! make sure to be on top of your child's experience---and change them out of a bad teacher's class if need be. Socsa Arts program: Favortism. Dance---run by students!? unorganized. Theater--same few kids are catered to. If your child is not a triple threat (strong singer, dancer, actor Already!) --forget about them getting anywhere there. non nurturing environment. Choir -----OUTSTANDING. Instrumental dpt-----AMAZING.

Posted November 28, 2012
Great teachers. Rude and inconsiderate, inconsistent, and borderline incompetent, administrators. If you get a call from the Attendance people, you won't be allowed to explain anything, and they will probably hang up on you. The mark of true greatness.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 13, 2012
Nope, Dana Hills rated 153rd in the state in 2011... Not as good a school as you will hear from everyone else. Aliso Niguel is a much better school, (44th in CA.), and their campus doesn't resemble a cell-block inside, (like Dana does). You can also rent an apartment in Aliso and still be able to feed yourself. Good luck finding a decent apartment in Dana district for less than $1700.

Dana Hills High School 5

Posted August 27, 2012
We moved from Michigan and my two older sons attended this school. Once came in as a senior and the other as a freshman. We were very satisfied with the education and teachers in this school. One of my sons was involved in SOCSA and the program is incredible. Fantastic caring teachers. Those students went on to be accepted to some pretty incredible schools.

Dana Hills High School
33333 Golden Lantern, Dana Point, CA  92629
Last modified Dana Hills High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dana Hills High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top