Dana Point, CA
Students enrolled: 2,830

Posted August 29, 2014
DANA is great school if your child is AP/Honors, OR has special needs. The resources for these two groups of students is excellent. BUT if you have an average student, BEWARE. My oldest child was all AP/Honors and graduated with a scholarship to a top 20 DIV I university. My second and third children are good students, but are more average. I pulled my daughter out of DANA for this Fall and my son, a freshman, will not attend DANA. They are going to private school. MY daughter had 40 kids in her Algebra II class, and in one class had to wait a few weeks to get a desk or table to sit. She sat on the floor. Her 0 Period teacher was consistently late and missed 4 days last year.NO sub could be found so the kids sat by the cafeteria and some do homework , while others did nothing.I was told by a head administrator, this IS a problem, and it is hard to find subs for 6:30am. A teacher that is consistently 10 min late several times a week and missed class 4 days last year, HOW much time was my daughter robbed in math? 0-4 period no longer an option. School makes more money per student when they have class after lunch. Student has job,sports, doesn't want to miss school?NOT pro student

Posted August 29, 2014
DANA is great if you are AP/Honors, or disabled. The teacher/student ratio is misleading at 1:27. That is average. The smallest classes are AP/Honors, which skews their stats. My oldest child had 21 kids in her AP Calc class. My second had 40 kids in reg Algebra2. My oldest had 25 in Hon English,My second had 38 in reg English. Average students are among ALL average kids.Some want to learn ,others do not.It's NOT an environment conducive for average students to learn. Teachers are overwhelmed with so many over crowded classes. DANA is 42 years old and resembles a prison. It is dark and dreary, and in need of major renovation. Many teachers, students and parents give much support in giving their time to make things better. It's not enough.It is sad such a beautiful campus, be neglected.How many public schools boast an OCEAN view? Broken air conditioners in many over crowded classes, makes for a poor learning environment.I feel for students who were LOCKED DOWN 4hrs last May. My child was there. Take a stand!Hit the District in the wallet,by home schooling, school online& private,Money talks! My child won't be returning to DH,but heading to a private school.My 9th grader, the same

Posted June 05, 2014
Teachers are amazing and truly have a passion to teach. But the downside to this school is the staff.

Dana Hills High School 1

Posted September 27, 2013
I grew up in Dana Point and went to this and every school in the area till freshmen year. Parents, be aware; your kids are around offfers to others parents pills, and many other types of drugs that lead them off track, I say this from experience. PAY ATTENTION TO WHO YOU'RE KIDS HANG OUT WITH. Dana Point is a mix of both bad and good backgrounds, good luck.

Posted December 16, 2012
Academics----good. Teachers Vary! make sure to be on top of your child's experience---and change them out of a bad teacher's class if need be. Socsa Arts program: Favortism. Dance---run by students!? unorganized. Theater--same few kids are catered to. If your child is not a triple threat (strong singer, dancer, actor Already!) --forget about them getting anywhere there. non nurturing environment. Choir -----OUTSTANDING. Instrumental dpt-----AMAZING.

Posted November 28, 2012
Great teachers. Rude and inconsiderate, inconsistent, and borderline incompetent, administrators. If you get a call from the Attendance people, you won't be allowed to explain anything, and they will probably hang up on you. The mark of true greatness.

Posted September 13, 2012
Nope, Dana Hills rated 153rd in the state in 2011... Not as good a school as you will hear from everyone else. Aliso Niguel is a much better school, (44th in CA.), and their campus doesn't resemble a cell-block inside, (like Dana does). You can also rent an apartment in Aliso and still be able to feed yourself. Good luck finding a decent apartment in Dana district for less than $1700.

Posted August 27, 2012
We moved from Michigan and my two older sons attended this school. Once came in as a senior and the other as a freshman. We were very satisfied with the education and teachers in this school. One of my sons was involved in SOCSA and the program is incredible. Fantastic caring teachers. Those students went on to be accepted to some pretty incredible schools.

Posted December 14, 2010
Every year when I get new classes I meet more people that I've never known before. And even though that can be looked at as a negative, I don't see it as one because I feel like Dana definitely has an easygoing atmosphere for getting to know people if you let yourself out in the open. (3/3)

Posted November 12, 2010
in my few months at dana hills as a freshman it was an unforgettable experience i simply loved how the school was net to the beach the school looks fantastic it has that nice sea breeze the teachers are amazing especially mr.guarino. its too crowded there but you can still get to classes on time. overall its a great school, loved it and its easy to make new friends there.

Dana Hills High School
33333 Golden Lantern, Dana Point, CA  92629
Last modified Dana Hills High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dana Hills High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top