Long Beach, CA

Rogers Middle School 1

Posted May 11, 2015
I am currently an eighth grade student at Rogers middle school and these have been the worst three years of my life. I was previously bullied here, slapped in the face for absolutely no reason and offered drugs by out of the district students. The out of district students have also bullied me and spreads dirty rumors about me. A few students actually made a hate page on Instagram of me and recently made another. Every time I had reported an incident the students were let off with warnings even when I got slapped on the face I told staff right away and they said "I'll take care of it" and of course nothing happened but that's what to expect at Rogers Middle School. I would rate this school lower if i could. Sincerely warning you, Do not your child here.

Rogers Middle School 1

Posted May 19, 2014
Due to the elimination of school buses in the LB school district, this community only allows students to attend in there neighborhood. This I believe is a form of segregation. My aunts and uncles graduated from this school and I went to Lowell. I have fond memories as a child of attending the school fair and watching the footballs games but my son can't attend because we live a fewb blocks away.

Posted March 22, 2014
I am currently an 8th grader at Rogers Middle School and honestly im really sad to be leaving this year. This has been the best 3 years if my life, I have made so many new friends and i just absolutly love it. The teachers and staff are absoulutely amazing they are all so helpful and caring. Personally i have never really had any problems with any teachers and i have learned so much from them all. If you are looking to send your children here i highly reccomend it, its a great school.

Posted August 04, 2013
While I know that test scores only tell part of the story, RMS test scores are the highest of any middle school in LBUSD. Our principal is very involved, and I cannot say enough about our amazing teachers and staff. We frequently have more teachers that parents at our monthly PTA meetings! The instrumental music program at Rogers is the best. We have been at Rogers for four years, will be here for four more and wouldn't want our boys anywhere else. Go Mustangs!

Posted August 04, 2013
My daughter is entering 8th grade at Rogers and I have a son entering 6th grade this year. Our first year had it's ups and downs and I felt "out of the loop" until I started getting involved. Attending the PTA meetings is vital as many of the teachers attend and it's a good time to get to know them and their viewpoints. The new principal is fantastic and involved with the kids. She is definitely on top of things and looking to continue the success of the school. The music program is incredible and the best in the district, by far. There is a reason this school has the highest test scores in the district. The teachers hold the kids to high expectations and the students rise to those expectations. There are lots of opportunities outside of the classroom for school involvement (sports, drama, clubs etc.). I'm very happy that my children are attending this school.

Rogers Middle School 3

Posted June 01, 2013
My child's first year at Rogers was very good, but her second year has been a real problem. She has been in accelerated classes which means a great deal of homework and complicated, long term projects in all of the subjects. I find that while the teachers are experienced in their subjects, few of them are experienced in children. Middle school is a difficult time for children who are transitioning from babyhood to teen and to have teachers with attitudes that clearly say, "just do the work, I don't care if you're changing or not" has been a disappointment. I thought that being a "Great School" meant that the teachers also understood child development; meaning "the whole child." Additionally, they don't call or write to let you know if the child is experiencing problems in their class. So you end up finding out when it's too late to do anything about it. Three of my child's teachers had an attitude like I should have known what was going on in their classes. How could I have known if they didn't tell me? Most of them don't use SchoolLoop for posting assignments. This is just wrong. And then they take weeks to update the grades. There's a lot that needs work at this "Great School."

Posted August 12, 2012
My daughter is going into the 8th grade at Rogers. She has liked all of her teachers but one and I have liked all but one (different from the teacher she didn't like. Hence, 4 stars -pretty good odds, though). The administration has been fantastic. They actually hold the kids accountable for their actions! As a parent of a middle school kid (and one who has been a substitute teacher in the district), I, too, love Rogers. My daughter did not go to one of the nearby elementary schools, but has never felt like an outsider. She has made many new friends, most of whom I like as well. The office personnel has always been very nice and accommodating. We are quite happy with the staff, the faculty, and the student body.

Posted April 09, 2012
As a parent of an 8th grader I have seen the "boring" assignments aka worksheets and copying definitions as well as many opportunities and even requirements for creativity.. There are many projects which allow for individualized work. We are in he GATE program so I can't speak for the whole school. In GATE there are often options for the way the child wants to learn. I believe it is usually the class size that inhibits individualized teaching (and sometimes even teacher grading-- I understand having your peers grade your paper in math where there is one right answer,. But in english to have a weak writer critique a strong writer's paper?). Like any school there are some stronger and weaker teachers and some that are a good fit for one kid and not another. And even a good teacher can have a bad year (ever had a parent with cancer? Kind of affects your work). I have found the teachers to be VERY open to my questions and concerns. Except one....who is (drumroll) now gone. Yes, parent concerns were addressed! I have also gotten immediate action on both academic and peer concerns from administrators who listened very respectfully.they were also responsive to my child.

Posted April 05, 2012
After reading the review from 2/21, I felt compelled to respond. I am one of those office workers that the writer thinks is rude. I think we have one of the best office staffs in the district and this is constantly confirmed by visitors. My only advise to this parent is that if you are this unhappy, why are you still here. We have a very long waiting list of students who would like to attend this awesome school, so we could use the space.

Posted April 05, 2012
It's such a shame that more parents don't have time to post reviews here, because one unhappy parent with plenty of time on their hands can completely skew the ratings. Rogers is an amazing school, the administration and staff are very caring, ESPECIALLY the office workers. The teachers work very hard to engage the kids in learning and provide opportunities for creativity and self expression throughout the year. The school's budget has been more impacted than many other schools during this time of crisis because of a loss of funding due to a slight socioeconomic shift in the population, and yet the level of education has remained the same or improved. The music program is phenomenal and a very small portion of the parents work very, very hard to raise the money necessary to provide the opportunities for all of the music students to be able to travel and participate in competitions. Of course, those parents are the ones who are too busy to post here, and those who have enough time to post negative reviews clearly are not involved enough in their child's education to know what is actually happening at Rogers. It is hands down the best middle school in Long Beach.

Rogers Middle School
365 Monrovia Avenue, Long Beach, CA  90803
Last modified Rogers Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rogers Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top