Bad
Good

Posted May 14, 2015
After working at a number of schools I feel Fairfax High School is a great school. The energy of the entire campus is positive and feels quite normal. Every LAUSD school has the same issues with limited services, bad food, and a typical 36:1 student-teacher ratio. The majority of the kids are bused in, but I feel we get the cream of the crop. The school has a rich history of servicing kids who want to be here. Many of the students care about graduation and do well overall. As mentioned earlier I came from schools where students came in with an impoverish mindset. I don't feel that to be the case here. The campus is very diverse and representative of the real world. My child has been sheltered attending a certified Montessori school where she is not tested as much as LAUSD schools. Eventually, she will need to experience the "general population" and I believe Fairfax High School would be a nice transition.

Fairfax Senior High School 1

Posted April 30, 2013
Disappointed is not saying enough. There is no clear contact method or interaction beteen the teachers, counselors, and principal. There are more new staff members that don't seem to know how things work at this school than I care for, especially the principal and counselor. The teachers want your children to turn in the work but there is no clear way for parents to assist to make sure this is getting done. These are still children. As I was told by the prinicipal, teachers are not encouraged or required to post HW, CW, projects, etc. on-line. How do they expect parent participation. All parents can't take off work to be at the school. Teachers should learn to utilize the tools given to them to advocate parent participation (i.e. computers and e-mails). Come on now, if teachers and other public school staff do not want to foster a circle of success for students, please find another career.

Fairfax Senior High School 3

Posted November 12, 2012
I currently attend Fairfax, and overall, it's a pretty good school. I'm in the Schools for Advanced Studies, and the teachers for this program are generally good. I would have to say some of the best teachers are the AP teachers, but not all are great. There are teachers who hardly teach at all, and it's all up to you to learn, but it all depends on how driven the students are. The school is extremely diverse and offers a pretty good quantity of extra curriculars. The students at Fairfax are generally open minded. The budget cuts the school has suffered haven't allowed it to improve a whole lot, but the campus has become significantly nicer. The school allows for educational and social expansion.

Posted April 25, 2011
I have been going to Fairfax for only 8 months and I'm in love with it.... the students are super friendly and teachers are committed to their jobs... they teach us a looott more than what the textbook says.... and AP teachers are the best there could be.... The budget cuts are causing some problems but the entire school staff and student bodies are working to make things better.. Fairfax is awesome... GO LIONS!!

Posted December 05, 2010
Currently, i'm a student at Fairfax High, and i have to say that we have THE best AP teachers who are dedicated and willing to help students on their path to success. There are tons of rumors out there that Fairfax is a "bad school", but we are actually sending students to ivy leagues and our school is improving each year! I love the culture and people here at Fairfax coming from a suburban area. I love the School of Advanced Studies program and I know that Fairfax is helping me in every way to succeed in college and beyond. Go lions!!

Posted August 25, 2009
I love this school. I graduated in 2008 and im 100% glad i switched from University High School. The programs in Fairfax are ok. I can say i wish they would have had more funding. However, i believe the best part of fairfax is the Teachers. I had teachers who i didnt believe were so great until after i graduated, because even though they might have given me an F or their class could have been really boring to me. They taught me lessons in life that i will never forget. Thanks Ms. Allen, Mr. Babatunde-bey, Coach Cox, Ms. Reautebauch, and Mr. O' Hare Go Lions!

Posted March 05, 2009
I attend Fairfax and let me tell u the point of view from a student. Educationally, it is very challenging and interesting. I love their SAS program (currently in it) and the teachers are great. We earn extremely high test scores thanks to the hard work of the teachers and our own effort. They encourage us to try hard. The one complaint i have is that the school doesn't have a swim team! Haha nevertheless, i love it here and i wouldn't give up my experience for anything.

Posted January 12, 2009
i think that this a good school!!!!

Fairfax Senior High School

Posted September 09, 2008
My son is currently a junior at Fairfax HS and his experience there has been a really good one. He has had exceptional teachers that have been very committed to having their students excel, particularly the exceptional and brilliant science teacher, Ms. Antoine. He started HS with good grades and now takes a few honors courses. He is constantly pushed by his teachers and by me. It doesn't all lie with the teachers, we as parents also must take accountability for our children, but most of all, we must make our children accountable for their own actions as well. Fairfax is a great school and is on its way to full accreditation!

Fairfax Senior High School 4

Posted April 17, 2008
i'm a student in fairfax and i love it there! it's really diverse and the my teachers are great! there are a lot of extracurricular activities, and their SAS and magnet program is great!

Fairfax Senior High School
7850 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90046-7210
Last modified Fairfax Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.