6-12|Private

Bad
Good

Westview is a hidden gem on the west side for any student struggling through with learning differences. Small class size, high teacher to student ratio, strong academic standards, great teaching staff, committed administration. My son is an intelligent kid who has had to work through an assortment of learning issues, along with the attendant emotional/social challenges, his whole life. He came to Westview for high school and it has been a perfect combination of flexible support and encouragement to take responsibility for his own learning. The counseling program is excellent, and has been an important adjunct to the academics. He has thrived at Westview, and is now a Junior. He is on and off the honor roll, and has begun visiting colleges. His success has ultimately been through his own hard work, but Westview made it possible for him to reach for his aspirations. The new location, though a big adjustment for the kids, has been successful. The correct address is: 12101 W. Washington Blvd Los Angeles CA 90066

This school completely changed my daughter's life, not to mention everyone in her family and all the other people's lives she touches everyday and will touch in the future. She is deaf and was categorized as hopeless and unteachable and stuffed in Special Ed classes by our district on a track that would never allow her to attend college. She was miserable, defiant, and wasn't challenged or learning much. Two weeks into 9th grade at Westview, her whole life changed. She suddenly had friends, was excited about school (and learning!) and was getting As and Bs. Now she's heading off to a four-year university and wants to be a teacher. Wow. Thanks Westview!!!

My son is a 7th grader on an IEP and has gone to Westview for almost 2 years now. He is excelling both academically, always has, and socially, where he never has. My son is safe and happy going to school and that has been a great relief to us, his parents, because we did not know that he would have been going to another school. No school is perfect, my older son went to a prestigious public high school and we were very underwhelmed by the school and his matriculation there. At Westview we can say that we have had our expectations meet and exceeded. Westview has done what they said they would do and the staff and administration are attentive to our concerns and needs. If you are looking for an NPS school for your child I and my wife wholeheartedly and enthusiastically recommend Westview.

First the pluses. There are some amazing and dedicated instructors on staff. The disciplinary VP is stern yet fair, straightforward and respected. The college counselor is helpful and knowledgeable. Our disappointment lies with management. Our son was alleged to have engaged in improper activity off campus. The response was to deny him participation in grad night, prom, and most important to him, graduation, even though he completed all his requirements. We could never understand why he was severely punished for something alleged to have taken place outside the school s jurisdiction. Our pleas for an explanation went unheeded. Our son already suffered with low self-esteem, which he covered with bravado, obvious to those who know him. He was excluded and held to a higher standard than other students. Why he was not allowed to celebrate his greatest accomplishment is unfathomable. He still suffers from the effects of this cruel act, which was viewed by many as the result of a personal dislike for our son. This blow erased all the good done at the school. He was crushed out like a cigarette.

well i go here, and im completely normal. One thing i noticed is that everyone else at the school has some sort or disability or something. Its kinda odd. Its hard to make friends here also judging by how weird some of the kids are. The social part is horrible at this school. The schoolwork is pretty helpful though. The teachers let you redo anything if you get under 70%. The teachers are also kinda mean though. They yell at you for dumb reasons and the school is really strict. I dont recommend this school unless your child has problems. (disabilities)

I heard that not all of the teachers have a full teaching credential. Is this true? If so, that is a great concern to me.

Westview has been a true blessing for our family. Our daughter entered as an extremely anxious 10th grader, unsure of her unfamiliar surroundings and new environment and stressed out about where/if she would fit in. It couldn't have been a more perfect fit! Our daughter has matured, blossomed and grown in so many ways at Westview: it was such a nurturing and supportive academic & social home. Through the mentoring of staff, she became the Senior Class President and Prom Queen, achieved several awards for her academic performance, obtained honor roll grades, and she is now off to college...Wow! We would have never imagined all this would have been possible a few years ago - and without Westview's guidance and support, we may not have seen these wonderful developments. Words cannot express our gratitude and appreciation for all of the effort of the excellent Westview teachers, counselors, and administrators - their hard work, long hours, undying determination, patience and healthy sense of humor made it all possible for our family. Westview has made a hugely positive impact in our lives. I can't recommend it highly enough! The Paffen Family

My daughter successfully completed 4 years at Westview and was accepted at the 3 colleges she applied to. Even though Westview classes are very small, several tracks are offered within each subject for accelerated, medium and slower-paced students. Administration and staff are dedicated and supportive; no student is overlooked. Teachers are for the most part excellent and able to accommodate the variety of learning styles of the student body. Sports and electives round out the academic experience. All students, no matter what their disability, are able to achieve success; this is a great school to build a student's self confidence and self esteem.

The caring teachers at Westview can't make up for what the school does to a kid's self esteem. Wish I had gone somewhere else. Going to Westview was an daily humiliation

I went to this school for five years. And it is so true! This school destroys your sense of self worth. I went here for five years. With emotional issues I already had PLENTY of self confidence issues. But this place took it over the top. 11 years later and a lot of therapy I am still recovering from my experience at Westview. I literally lay awake some nights thinking about how much I despise this place. My family and I are sorrowful that I attended and amazed that I have been able to suceed despite my experience here and the fact that I recieved such a horrible education throughout high-school. Don't let Judy talk you into it! Look into other options for your child.

Last modified Westview School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12