Posted September 20, 2012
We just got back from 1st grade Back to school night. I feel so lucky to be part of this school. Our teachers are warm, caring, and wonderfully professional. It's clear that they take pride in what they do and spend a lot of energy being the best they can be. Plus, it is a child focused environment. KG was equally great. We love this school.

Edna Maguire Elementary School 3

Posted September 01, 2012
I have very mixed feelings about continuing my children's education here. On the one hand it is true the Lisa Zimmer and her staff and teachers are excellent and very hands-on. There are teachers here willing to put in extra time and effort to help kids like mine who are struggling to stay focused in the increasing onslaught of media distractions and working, tired parents. There is enough monetary wealth in this community to provide a good art and music program here, as well as athletics, and there are many very if not overly involved parents volunteering in the classrooms and providing all sorts of support. But beware, this is a very big school, and in 4th grade there are only 3 teachers, which means a giant bump up in class size to nearly 30 students. There is tons of homework starting in 1st grade, and my kids feel bored and overwhelmed. The bottom line here is if your child can self-regulate and do well academically this can be a good school for you. If you are a stay-at-home parent of a child who has challenges and you have the time to micromanage their school experience and be the squeaky wheel your kid will get what they need here. The rest of us are struggling.

Edna Maguire Elementary School 1

Posted October 14, 2011
This school only works if your kid fits in "the box". Children that learn differently or ask a lot of questions are marginalized. There is also a big push to get 'out of the box' kids into Special Education so that they are not considered when the STAR test results are tabulated. This results in an artificially high test result for the school. Some teachers are highly committed and amazing and some are not. If you get a great one, you have a great year, if not then you definitely suffer. Added minus: recess is a school wide, barely supervised,free for all.

Edna Maguire Elementary School 4

Posted September 02, 2010
Great Teachers for the most part. The district and the local admin not super responsive to parents. They have work to do concerning oversight of kids as they move from school to after-school activities and programs.

Posted June 04, 2010
This is our first year at Edna Maguire and I am truly impressed. It feels like a private school. Our teacher is amazing. She is incredibly responsive, thoughtful and caring. The teachers are instilling a love of learning as opposed to demanding every five year old learn to read whether they are ready or not. Also, we love the outdoor garden complete with chickens! Great school!

Edna Maguire Elementary School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
Great teachers, great staff, great kids, great parents! Great library! Great music department! Great afterschool programs! Great garden! This school has it all!

Posted September 24, 2009
My son is in second grade! We love this school.The garden is the best, the teachers and staff are the best! We are happy to be at Edna!

Posted August 18, 2009

Edna Maguire Elementary School 0

Posted July 19, 2009
Outstanding Principal and teachers. Best of the BEST.

Posted July 15, 2009
I am in my third year being a part of Edna and I find it hard to believe the less than par reviews I've seen posted. Lisa Zimmer is an excellent principal who not only is a great listener to parents but she acts on finding solutions to issues. She is a do-er. The teachers are all stellar. Yes, parents have their preferences on who they get each year it seems but really, there are no bad teachers. It is a loving, special place. I feel so blessed to be a part of this school.

Edna Maguire Elementary School
80 Lomita Drive, Mill Valley, CA  94941
Last modified Edna Maguire Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edna Maguire Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top