Pasadena, CA

Posted November 25, 2014
We are very pleased with Field and the education our children are receiving. The Mandarin program (and the academics in general) are very rigorous, though, and parents should be committed to the MDLIP for the long haul. There is a lot of homework. Common core math is challenging enough in English, but our math textbooks are actually in Mandarin, so not only are they struggling with a transition to a new way of learning, but they have to figure it out in another language! Luckily the homework comes home in English so I can help them at home. I have one child for whom Mandarin comes easily, and another for whom it is a struggle. For the struggling child, we supplement with Quizlet and other online apps; his grade and confidence level have improved. Even though the Mandarin is tough for him, we believe it will benefit him in the long run so we keep him in the program. Plus, he has made great friends and we really like the other families we have become friends with. The bottom line is, this is a great program. But it does require commitment on the part of the parent and the child.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 25, 2014
My child has been attending the Mandarin program for a few years now. As a non-native speaker, English being our primary language, I am constantly amazed at how much mandarin my child can speak, read and write. The teachers have been amazing and the principal very supportive. There is an amazing amount of parent support. I couldn't be happier.

Field (Eugene) Elementary School 2

Posted November 23, 2014
I have a kid in the Mandarin program and I don't speak it, many native language speaking parents say the kids can't annunicate the tones or communicate clearly, it's just basic broken mandarin conversation that sounds impressive to non-speakers esp when the kids are non-chinese. Principal doesnt do anything about this bc she doesn't speak Mandarin, nor know the difference between simplified or traditional characters, she has no clue, (the school district doesn't know either). The school tour is impressive but it's a bait and switch. No Chinese textbooks, curriculum is taught in mandarin but the tests are in english, no safety net to help kids who are behind, which results in kids acting out in class and behavioral problems. Teachers have 27- 30+ kids and no aides. chaos in the classrooms and kids getting hurt. Safety problems that the principal does not resolve. kids are harrassed. Principal: sides with the aggressors; horrible with communication; and her tactic is to delay and frustrated parent so they give up. IT'S A KNOW HISTORICAL FACT. her idea of punishment is to have the aggressive child have lunch with her. good kids aren't allowed this reward.

Field (Eugene) Elementary School 1

Posted October 01, 2014
I don't see any coments about a regular english Class. If anyone can see the regular classes. It is insane. Of course you are all happy about the mandarin program. The classes are small and there are two teachers fir each class Vs. The regular classes are full of kids. What is going on? I live near the area and when u had to entree my kids in the school they were denied for the mandarin class because they do not speak mandarin. I guess my kids are not as lucky as yours. I agree with sone parents, there is luck if administration, there is descrimination, and the principal doesn't care. We all know that!. Is just its convienet for all if you. I am sad that this principal is not open minded. The school is focused in one race and that is what bathers me. I will take my kids out of this school to a more diverse school.

Posted April 09, 2014
My Child is in his second year in the Mandarin Program. The parents and teachers are fully committed to the program, however there is not much in place to support children who are struggling with learning the language. Unlike mainstream classes when children have difficulty there is a SST conducted and a plan created to get the student on track. When students are behind in this program the recommendation is more assistance at home. This is unrealistic for parents who don't read or write in Mandarin. The program needs to support students better not to mention that there is only one teacher for a class of 27plus.

Posted February 22, 2014
Our child is currently in the Mandarin Dual Language Immersion Program at Field. We are pleased with the leadership and teachers at this school. Our child is not only learning a second language but also receiving a well balanced education.

Posted February 09, 2014
I am the parent of a child in the Mandarin immersion program at Field. My child has now been involved with the program for a few years. I have concerns about the instruction and administration of the program and the tension between different parents groups at Field. The Superintendent recently assigned an outside consultant to help coach the administrator at Field and mediate between the groups of parents. That should help to address some of the problems. I think the Mandarin program at Field could and should be a quality program someday but in my opinion there are many substantive problems that must be addressed before that happens.

Posted January 28, 2014
I believe a Mandarin Immersion School can provide outstanding results. This school is good in many ways. It has a strong parental group and it has Mandarin. However, the Mandarin acquired by the students is mediocre, decent at best. This wouldn't be an issue except that subjects like math and science are also taught in Mandarin. Since Mandarin isn't acquired properly in the beginning, it seems that children fall behind not just in Mandarin, but other subjects as well. If you put your child in this school (as have I), expect to get some Mandarin exposure (not fluency), and expect to do a lot outside the classroom. Volunteer as much as you can. Without proper staffing, the children have behavior issues (imagine starting school in a language you don't know with a 28:1 or 30:1 ratio at K). At the end, it depends what you want for your child. I've noticed my daughter just translates directly from English to Chinese, without using the language correctly. This to me is a challenge that I have to correct at home unless it can be done in the school. Just an honest assessment from a concerned parent.

Posted December 06, 2013
The Mandarin Dual Language Immersion program is cutting edge education and has a strong parental group.

Field (Eugene) Elementary School 4

Posted November 28, 2013
My daughter is in the Kindergarten Mandarin immersion class. We opted out of our wonderful top rated home school to go to Field because we feel this is a great opportunity for our child. I love that they have to wear uniforms. It feels like a private school. The principal is exceptional at Field! The parents in the Mandarin program are committed and giving and the teachers are very good at what they do and very sweet. I feel my daughter can only learn a language if it's spoken 90% of the day. We did not pick this because its Mandarin. It could have been Spanish or French. We are not particular about what language she learns. I don't expect her to be as fluent as the children are in China or know all of the characters by 8th grade. I'm realistic. I'm just happy that she will understand it and speak it. She will have respect for other ethnic groups and expand her view of the world! What I've read is: Multilingual people are good multi-taskers. Your memory improves: Language helps strengthen that mental muscle. You become more perceptive Your decision-making skills improve Companies seek employees that speak a second language because of all of the qualities listed above.

Field (Eugene) Elementary School
3600 Sierra Madre Boulevard, Pasadena, CA  91107
Last modified Field (Eugene) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Field (Eugene) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top