Public charter
San Diego, CA
Before care: Yes

Innovations Academy 4

Posted June 23, 2014
I.A. gets better and better every year! The philosophy is in line with mine: Raising intelligent, conscience and confident children! Great communication with the parents. Always looking to improve. There is room for improvement and I.A. welcomes your opinion. To be clear, "no homework" policy is really, "no MINDLESS homework." You as the parent can and may want to establish homework ritual for your child. We do. But, NO STRESS!

Posted June 14, 2014
We just love this school and wish we had found it sooner! My son with ADHD and sensory processing disorder,struggled with social emotional, which effected his academics and confidence in his traditional school. The social emotional curriculum, hands-on project work and minimal homework have helped him love school and excel at math, writing and speaking. He now wants to do some math and journal writing over the summer without being asked!!!! This school makes every kid feel respected and valued and gives them confidence and motivation that makes them know they can do anything!

Innovations Academy 1

Posted June 11, 2014
Don't do it people! It's seems all great at first. Listen to every bad review on here. They do not prepare your child for anything, children are unsupervised, then when things get out of hand they blame the kids... The Director is very hard to deal with, she will always side with the teachers..after a few weeks there, parents will figure out what really happens there...it's disturbing.. Trust me!

Posted May 31, 2014
We are completing our first year at Innovations Academy, and we LOVE it!! Our bias is former teacher in Poway District, and member of a small specialty Command in the US Navy. My reservations in the beginning were if my son, who hated school, would thrive in such and independant, structure. He develoed an amazing unique personality, and confidence soared. Our daughter succeeds in any environment, so naturally she thrived as well. Parent involvement is surprisingly low, especially in financial donations, however, it could contribute to the happiness of the IA Families b/c the school does not pressure anyone about donations. Finally, use discernment in reading negative reviews, you may pick up on lack of communication with the school and their children. The school, and their staff, will accommodate a private meeting to address your concerns with little Johnny or Sally.

Posted May 31, 2014
We love the environment and community focus here. My 6 year old feels safe and accepted, which makes for a great environment for him to learn and grow in. The no unecessary homework policy allows for family learning time, instead of having to stress and fight about homework during our family time. We are pretty new at the school, but already love it and are looking forward to next year!

Posted May 31, 2014
We are so happy with Innovations Academy! This will be our third year with the school...our children will be going into 4th and 2nd. The school seems to improve more and more each year! My children are being challenged academically while developing wonderful social skills and growing emotionally. The fabulous part is they enjoy school...they are developing a love of learning which will carry them through life. They do not have a no homework policy (as some have previously stated), it is a no "meaningless" homework policy. My children have come home with work from time if something wasn't completed for the week, a project needed additional work or home preparation or if a subject needed reinforcement. The difference is there are no daily worksheets that used to cause countless tears and struggle. One of the things I love the most about the school are the enrichment opportunities...art, media arts, gardening, music, PE... Yes, schools have them, but not to the level we are experiencing at IA. Those things are so valuable and important and they are disappearing from our public schools. This amazing school is something you have to witness first hand to fully appreciate.

Posted May 31, 2014
I am so glad that we discovered IA. We had a very disappointing experience at the neighborhood public school where my son was stressed out beyond belief trying to keep up with the academic pressure placed on him there. It really affected his self confidence. We have been at IA for two years now and my son has blossomed both socially and academically. The teachers and staff here really seem to care about the students and I appreciate that they are tolerant and respectful that kids learn in different ways and at different levels. My son has since been found to have a learning disability, and the staff at IA have been very helpful in accommodating him in the classroom and recommending resources to help him learn. In addition, I appreciate that the students at IA are encouraged to express themselves creatively and also to think critically. I feel that in addition to learning the core academic subjects, they also learn important life skills, like how to work effectively in peer groups, how to give and receive feedback, and how to speak publicly. These are gifts we can give our children at a young age that will help them succeed in the future. Overall, a great school!

Innovations Academy 1

Posted May 30, 2014
Honestly, half the staff here is incompetent (Just entered high school) and it was honestly was not what i needed. The children are always alone in the class rooms while the teachers wander off (whether they say so or not). The no homework thing sounds well enough at first, but later on your children will come to expect that, what happens in high school? In college when their cramming for an exam all night? The fact is if i could take back from going there i would, I would have a much better time here in the real world if so....

Innovations Academy 3

Posted May 28, 2014
My daughter will be attending Kinder this fall and has not yet (and I haven't decided) attended Innovation Academy, my only experience w/ the school is the Info Meeting parents are required to attend in order to submit an application. I live in the Poway school district however was looking for a school that was 'Project Based/Inquiry Based" learning, unfortunately the Poway district does not have. I was excited there was a Charter school nearby that employs this teaching method. I attended the info meeting and left not knowing whether or not it was the right environment for my child. The school director/founder facilitates the meeting and she was very off-putting. The impression I walked away with, and what the director actually said, was that if your teaching philosophy does not align with hers, than this is not the school for you. Keep in mind that the director was a stay a home mom who decided to open her own school. Trying not to judge her, but did not see any sort of real education or child development background that she mentioned about herself. The teachers at the meeting did not impress me when answering questions from parents.

Innovations Academy 4

Posted April 24, 2014
I know that other parents (including some friends of mine) have had problems with the staff at Innovations Academy, but I never have, and my children are flourishing there. If you are thinking about your children attending this school, you should go there and check it out for yourself. Have your children shadow for a day, talk to the teachers and other staff members. As with all schools, communication is key! I have found that by talking to the teachers directly about my goals and expectations for my children's education, and being open to receiving their help, I have seen huge positive results over the course of the school year. This type of school is not a good fit for many families, but if you are looking for some alternative to conventional classroom education, this school is worth checking out.

Innovations Academy
10380 Spring Canyon Road, San Diego, CA  92131
Last modified Innovations Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Innovations Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 101 reviews. Top