PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

This school is very traditional academically it believes in old school methods of memorization and doing paper after paper. They forget that children need to learn through exploration and experience it lacks the comfort feel. The classroom and teachers feel cold and strict.

Develops character: Agree

This school does not coddle students. They are not going to give you a gold star for just showing up. Too often schools teach that you can muddle through or do your best and fail and be OK. They are really setting them up for life by teaching them in an age appropriate way that you need to work hard to succeed. If you want your child to be working a grade ahead and have a huge leg up in high school and a realistic view of success you should send your child there.

After reading some of the reviews I feel I must respond. My daughter attends this school and it is true that it is very academic. You should not expect your child to be coddled or let to work at their own pace. It is a great school if your child is self motivated and willing to work hard. If not your child will be frustrated and unhappy. They work a grade ahead and are very academically rigorous. You need the right fit for this school but for many, like my daughter, it is wonderful.

Dorris-Eaton school prepares the students for high school and life. The high schools in the area always comment how the Dorris-Eaton students excel and are usually the top students in their high school.

Dorris Eaton is not a great school. I went there for five years and graduated in 2004. From the get go, the school does encourage good academics, but the teachers fail to realize that the students don't have the knowledge prior. Everyone is expected to magically attain skills that they do not have and therefore require tutoring which can be expensive in addition to the high tuition cost. Education aside, the school teaches no real world skills. Their sports program is abysmal, though Mr. Rush, the coach, did what he could with what he had. Once graduated, students do not have real world experience and are basically thrown to the wolves in high school. I had a hard time my freshman year of high school, but became more adjusted after a while. While the school may try to prepare students for the rigors of a difficult private high school or excellent college education, it teaches few social skills and offers no real world advice. A parent would be better off finding a decent public school.

Dorris-Eaton was honestly the best investment my parents could have made for me. I had a challenging, yet nurturing environment full of talented students and teachers. Yes, it was difficult for some of the kids to keep up, but for me it was perfect because I really needed the challenging academic environment. Not only did I learn impeccable writing skills and other academic tools I use to this day, but I was in a place where manners and respect were expected. Some of my best friends today are those I met my first day of DES elementary school twelve years ago. If it wasn't for Dorris-Eaton, I don't think I would have ever had the foundation to get me to where I am today: at one of the top 10 universities in the country! Thanks for everything. :)

My son attends DE since Kindergarten; he enjoys and loves DE very much. My friends are asking me that is the school perfect? Well, it is not. But think about the option that I have in my school district; I don t think my son can thrive if I enroll him into public school. They also ask me: Are the teachers perfect? I told them No. Not really. However, the majority of them are wonderful and caring teachers. The teachers did not put the pressure or stress on the kids. It comes from their parents. Finally they ask me: "Are the kids competitive? Yes. Kids are competitive with each other, but this happens at any top notch public or private school. But the good thing is the kids respect each other and themselves. If you want your child to be success or well academically prepared, I believe DE is a right choice.

The students at The Dorris-Eaton School do keep up with the pace which allows for excellence. While some students do have private tutors, it is because they want to as they have a desire to achieve beyond that which they do in the school day. The Dorris-Eaton School does an excellent job of educating the students and has for over 50 years as demonstrated by the admission to the finest high schools and universities in the United States.

Although the school teaches at a high standard, most students are not able to keep up with the pace. Parents spent many hours teaching their child at home. In addition, many students have private tutors or are in other learning programs after school. The school itself does a poor job of educating the student.

Highest Academic School in the East Bay.- If you are going for academics this is the place. Son was an average student in San Ramon Unified. In Dorris Eaton he still is an average student. The difference is the material is much more accelerated. 70% of the 7th graders at DE are taking Algrebra including mine. DE's Language Arts program is where they truly excel spending 12, not 5 classes a week on English.

Last modified Dorris-Eaton School, The is a Private school that serves grades PK-8