Kester Avenue Elementary School 2

Posted October 07, 2014
This teacher we had for third, fourth and fifth grades were very good. The teacher for 2nd grade didn't have an understanding that these children were just a step up from babies and didn't comprehend at the level she felt they should. Third grade teacher Mrs. Hovsepian was wonderful. She was challenging and made it easier when we got to Ms. Garcia's in 4th followed by Ms. Karapetian in 5th. My issue is with the administration. My son was bullied and his life was threatened by a child on school grounds. Mrs. Scanlin-Double said the situation would be resolved and that my child would be safe and she didn't follow through on her word. The child continued to bully. The school grounds are filthy, and my son witnessed a janitor mopping the tables with a mop used on the seats and ground. My child has attended school in two states before coming here and I found Kester to fall short of the recommendations I was given.

Posted September 02, 2014
Kester is definitely a 5 star school. Our daughter started as a kindergartner and grew throughout the year. Her kindergarten teacher was amazing as is the principal, Mrs. Double. She makes herself visible and available. The parents contribute their time as well. Our child has made some really great friends. We are looking forward to another great year. Welcome!

Posted September 01, 2014
I kids have been going to Kester Home School since 2006, and every school year my kids have gotten teachers that are just amazing. its no wonder that we have many teachers that are also parents of students that attend Kester. My sons will be ready for Middle School when they leave Kester

Posted August 28, 2014
We are absolutely thrilled with Kester!! Our daughter started at Kester last year as a kindergartner and had a wonderful experience. Her kindergarten teacher was amazing! In fact, we got to know the other kindergarten teachers as well and found them all to be really terrific. The principal, Mrs. Double is spectacular!!!! We feel so fortunate to have started Kester when we did because Mrs. Double has really shaped up the school. She is visible at the school everyday and is accessible to parents. The parent involvement is fantastic as well. The school benefits greatly by the dedication of the parent volunteers as well as the teachers, principal and students dedication to the school. The families at Kester are wonderful and our daughter has made some really terrific friends. Our daughter is now in 1st grade in the Kester Magnet program and is off to a great start with a truly incredible and dedicated teacher. We are looking forward to another fabulous year at Kester. I highly recommend Kester!!

Posted August 22, 2014
I changed my son in the middle of the class year. He was in TK. In his first week at Kester I saw a huge improvement in him. He was happy to go to school, enjoyed doing his homework and he was actually learning. He is now in Kindergarten and I couldn't be happier with my decision to change him schools. I look forward to the rest of the years as part of the Kester Family!

Posted April 28, 2014
This is an awesome school and it's due to the principal ,school staff,teachers and parents working together. Couldn't be happier

Posted October 06, 2013
Great teachers. Great parent involvement. Makes for a wonderful community that we are happy to be a part of.

Kester Avenue Elementary School 4

Posted August 26, 2013
We are having a very good experience at Kester. Enrolled in the Magnet program and our children are flourishing with all of the "extras" that used to be part of just the regular program before budget cuts. The home school does its best to ensure students access many enriching activities and the school is a consistent high performer academically.

Posted August 22, 2013
This is my 5th year as a Kester Parent. I have gotten to know many teachers, parents, and students at both the Magnet and the Home School. I can honestly say that for a school this LARGE, you couldn't get a nicer small community feel. That is, if you involve yourself in your child's education, volunteer and help as much as you can, and make it a point to be PRESENT. It's very easy to complain, but in my experience, the one's that always do are RARELY willing to step up to the plate and bring forth a solution. So, that said, yes, there will be bad experiences. Some kids will be mean, some Cafeteria food will be bland, some Staff will be inadequate, and when it happens to your kid, it hurts. But that is going to happen AT EVERY SCHOOL! Bottom line, Kester is wonderful school. When you have teachers that CARE about their students' progress, parents that are PROPERLY RAISING their children, and students that TRY and DO their very best, you will always be happy with the results. Those who have all 3 factors going strong, will be the ones that give their school 5 stars. The others, will only complain about it. Kester School and Staff, you have my support and recommendation.

Posted August 16, 2013
Kester is a fantastic school. The teachers and administrators are top notch! The parent organization works very hard to continue to improve on and expand opportunities and experiences for the children each and every year. Our son loves the school. We are proud members and supporters of Kester. Keep up the great work!!

Kester Avenue Elementary School
5353 Kester Avenue, Van Nuys, CA  91411
Last modified Kester Avenue Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kester Avenue Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 106 reviews. Top