Bad
Good

Stratton is a great school where most of the teachers are highly committed. We are very lucky as parents to have found such good school. My oldest daughter has thrived in this environment and I would highly recommend this institution to other parents.

Stratton Elementary School has undergone many changes in recent years. Some of the characteristics that made it a five star school, staffed by five star teachers and attended by five star students have changed, but it remains a very good school. Parent involvement has fallen off some in the last couple of years, but still has a history of higher involvement than most schools. The Integrated Thematic Instruction days are behind us, as most of the current staff is no longer trained and committed to that philosophy but some of the underpinnings remain in practice. More than half the students are permitted into Stratton, demonstrating how a healthy reputation can positively impact enrollment and school performance. Over the years, parents have raised tens of thousands of dollars for the students and school. For over ten years the PTA funded the art program for every student at the school before the district allocated funding for the art teacher's salary. Other fund raising allowed every student to participate in field trips and purchase much needed equipment and items for individual classrooms. Stratton will always be a great school, some years greater than others.

My review of Stratton is limited as my daughter began kindergarten here this year and classes have only been in session for a little over a month. So far we love Stratton. Her kindergarten teacher is GREAT, however, the super focus on getting the kindergarteners to learn FAST is annoying to me. I get feedback such as "she's doing great in math but she needs to work on her Alphabet and sounds, we have been in class for 30 days now and report cards are coming up"....Really? They are kindergartners, cut them some slack. With that said, her teacher is great, hard working, super energetic and involved, I'm not discounting her for that, I think it's the school district so focused on scores! scores! scores! I'm still adjusting to the newness of it all. One other negative is the large kindergarten class size. Almost 28 kids, yikes. The school is out of our neighborhood boundary line but only across the way from where we lived, we chose Stratton because our neighborhood school (Bates) was not up to par. My daughter loves kindergarten, loves math, gym, music, the field trips. They keep them busy. So far we are happy with Stratton, only time will tell what the future holds.

We have been away from the school for almost 2 years. We miss the school atmosphere, dedication and the warm fuzzy feelings from the staff. Our son graduated 5th grade at Stratton, he just love Mr. Weiss.

This school has such a wonderful atmosphere! I love it! Classrooms have overstuffed couches and chairs with lamps on rather than the harsh glare of overhead lighting. It's warm and inviting. If I were a kid I'd want to go there. My daughter is in Mr. Hoepfner's class for the GT kids. He is terrific!

This coming year will be our 3rd year at Stratton. Kindergarten was a fabulous experience. First grade was not. The two teachers available were miles apart in teaching abilities. I feel that my child rec'd very little education and was not ready for the 2nd grade. We have spent alot of money paying a tutor this summer to get our child back on track. Hopefully 2nd grade will prove to be a better experience! I am also not fond of their number system for behavior. Too many times I would ask my child how their day was with a response of 'we only got a 3 in gym today!'

The quality of this school has greatly diminished in recent years. It was a great disappointment to us when, after much debate we removed our child. We were lucky to be blessed with fantastic teachers all 3 years our son was there. All 3 have since left and others that we respected are leaving this year. While there are some great people who have remained, I wonder how long they will stay at this rate.

Last modified Stratton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.