Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Disagree

Once a math teacher gave 3 pages of homework the day before humanities [that project included 4 parts], science, and language arts project was due. She also assigns at least one page a day.

Develops character: Neutral

Certain classes are great and make sure students have this branded into their heads others don't care.

I hate this school. Yes, some of the educators here are good or okay, but there are some educators that are only here for the money. For instance a teacher here will not clarify what they mean [math] and i know a student who had to drop out of honors math who has always been in all math honors classes possible through out the years and she still doesn't understand what the teacher is saying. The music part of the school is great though. The math teacher won't explain stuff in a different way even though lot's pf her students are struggling. Also there is a lot of misbehavior involving very strong language, drugs, bullying, and sex talk.[Some kids already lost their virginity]

The school lied and turned there backs on a very smart kid with autism this year. They would rather send them to a "special school" rather than educate themselves with kids with special needs. Also too many bullies here. Most of the staff is really new and afraid to say anything to the senior staff, and the senior staff loves being in that position. Less friction+ easier to do whatever they want.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There are some teachers that are good, but most of the teachers I knew wont pick up the phone to let you know if your kid is doing bad.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They could care less about kids with special needs, they care more about athletes and testing scores

Horizon is a good school with some excellent teachers. Also the administrators and front office staff are respectful and caring. I believe that my child is receiving a quality education. Unfortunately the parent involvement rate is not very high. It is also currently missing extras such as yearbook and student council. It would be beneficial if these activities would return. My experience has been that the staff here takes bullying very seriously and tries to address it appropriately. I would recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a middle school in their area.

I was a student at horizon all 3 years I finished my 8th grade year in 2013.Shure the kids at horizon are not all that pleasant and tend to bully the other kids but I realized it and didnt bring my parents in to do all the work. Only half the time were the problems fixed because the kids there thought they could over power the staff and half the time tht was the case.The class sizes arent tht good I had about 45 kids in my algebra class and the teacher was new,he didnt know how to control the class so there wasnt much learning. there are a select few that offer to help kids whenever they can. 6th: ms. Garcia, ms.Glen..7th:mrs Dallzel-Wagers, mr robillard, mr seymour..8th:mr troscher, mr camron. The athletic group is great our school.Our school seems to revolve arround basketball and track.All the enrichment teachers help alot.my band teach mr lawrence is fun, he is a good friend to most of the kids too. All of the sports coaches are teacher volunteers and i appreciate tht they coach us and grade our work and still dont get tired of us haha. Its a great school if u hang out with the right people and make the right decisions. If ur child doesnt do tht they r in for a rude awakening.

I moved just to get my child out of this school. This was the 6th grade. He was having a problem with a bully and the teachers and counselors I spoke with made excuses (including blaming my child) instead of even trying to appear proactive. I went to meet with a teacher about my child's grade and was basically told that if he couldn't keep up, that was his problem. Before or after school tutoring was not offered, yet if I taught my child the way I learned, he was downgraded because it wasn't the way they learned in class...even though the final answer was right. Overall, this is the feeling I got from every interaction with staff: they were too busy, it wasn't their problem. FYI, I did research on this site before deciding to send my son to Jenkins Elementary, where he has been thriving. I would not recommend this school to anyone who asked.

Its fine if you don't care if your child is getting the support and help they need to be a successful student. Its difficult if your are transferring in from other school districts. They say they can met the needs of your students but it may take a whole school year for them to say ok we will identify your child as ____ but sorry they will not be receiving services at our school and then when you remove your child from the school the wonderful art teacher , Ms Leasure will give your child an F even though they had been getting As all year. My frustration level is boiling with this school. Ms Gohl, Ms Garcia are great but they are diamonds in an otherwise steaming pile of horse dung. Sorry but I shouldn't have to worry about my child hating their school so much but with teachers like ms leasure I can see why. The SOAR program is a joke.

Last modified Horizon Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.