Bad
Good

Although we are pretty new to the JPS family, I can't say enough good things about the school. The staff is fantastic! They know each kid by their name. Its a family atmosphere and I feel great knowing that my child is in such good hands during the school day. I have met some amazing teachers & staff, as well as and some amazing parents, and have made many friends just like my child. This school is in a great location! Although this school has been around for quite some time, it is in great shape! It doesn't feel like an older school. When at an event or in the school, you get a great feeling and you can see that the kids that go here are happy! Would love to see this school get some additional funds. How about updating the computer lab or even adding another one to get more computer time for the kids? How about a science lab/room? How about upgrading the playground equipment?

I have two children at John Pettibone School and can say there are both very good teachers and very poor teachers. One of my children has had the great fortune to have smart, energetic, and passionate teachers. Unfortunately, my other children has had one of the worst first grade teachers. She forgets all the time, is late for to get kids to lunch and specials, takes recess away from all when one child is bad, does not provide timely communications, and as my child states "yells all the time". My advice,request monthly conferences with teachers, listen and ask your kids questions, and do not be afraid to be your child's advocate. Do not let the principal make decisions based on a power play verse what you know is best for your child.

Probably no longer relevant, but I attended this school about 58 years ago and I still cherish the memories. There, I call starting each day reciting The Lords Prayer, pledging allegiance to the flag and singing the national anthem every morning before class. Thus, I learned about the importance of religion and the love of country and my fellow Americans. I learned to play and work with others and how to socialize which was important as I was an "only child" living with no other children around me where we lived in the country north of town. To me John Pettibone School was the benchmark that I judged all other learning experiences by; few matched my Pettibone experience. To me, John Pettibone will always be the most important and best school I ever attended; it set me up for life.

Both my sons went to school here. They enjoyed it. The school is old and could be cleaner, but the children have a great time there. My younger one should've been tested a bit sooner for learning issues. I had to fight to get it done. You need to speak up and fight for what you want, then your children will do fine.

My son is currently in 2nd grade at JPS. I have been extremely impressed with all of his teachers thus far, (K-2). All three have been enthusiastic, caring and committed. The class sizes are a bit large to provide the individual attention that some students need and four ESL students in a class of 20 (20%) provide some real challenges. Overall, however, I am extremely pleased with the education my son is receiving.

My daughter is in 3rd Grade and I am very happy with the Teachers and overall school services. I feel the school offers personalized education where needed. My daughter has done very well here.

Our son went to JPS from Excel to 1st Grade. We were very disappointed with the faculty, especially the principle. The services available to children with special needs, is very little. And the discipline is more suitable for teenagers.

Last modified John Pettibone School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.