Riverhills Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 321 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 25, 2013

Riverhills is now a magnet school for International studies and is applying to be a PYP IB program. I have a fourth grader and kindergartener that attend there, and its been a wonderful start!! All students take spanish and strings. The teachers work hard in communicating in daily student planners, and I have never a better run PTA!!!

Posted June 24, 2013

I love Riverhills. My child was in first grade this year in miss amylynn Dawson's class and she is a very caring teacher. She took extra time with my child and was very patient with the bad behavior!! She even contacts me (after school year is done) to check on my child. My child loves her very much and loves riverhills and the other teachers very much. God bless this school and miss dawson!!

Posted May 20, 2013

My grand daughter attends Riverhills Elementary where I believe because of Ms. Harkness and her commitment to her classes and to the school, Isabella who had a learning disability had been able to overcome all of the obstacles. Ms. Harkness truly lives out the life "no child left behind". Ms. Harkness not only worked with isabella to provide a firm foundation for the future school years, she worked with me, a grandparent raising the children. Riverhills has a focus on parent involvement, and hires only the highest of teacher quality. My only wish is that Isabella and all of my grand children can attend such a school with such gifted instructors and leaders. Thank you Riverhills Elementary for providing the best foundation for our future leaders!

Posted November 29, 2012

Riverhills is not a good, safe, educational school. I have two kids that have gone to this school, and everytime they have attended, teachers try to make it look like they aren't catching on to the subjects that they are teaching everyday when really it's the teacher's trying to push the children so they can get their raise. They don't care about the students ability to learn and adapt differently than others and take more time out to help in their troubled areas. I'm so glad my kids are at another school and the Teachers at their school compliment them everyday, as well they call me so happy to have my kids as their students. And their grades are great better than the average students in the school. They give work to the kids for the parents to do and teach but yet they have a problem with how the work is completed. Just not a good school.

Posted October 17, 2012

As the new lead teacher at Riverhills Elementary Gifted Academy for Learning and I can honestly say that I am honored to work with a staff and administration that is dedicated to each student and to creating an extraordinary learning environment. With the implementation of the Schoolwide Enrichment Model, the focus of learning is student-centered around individual talents - increasing engagement and motivation. The kids have opportunities to expand their learning through Enrichment Clusters on a weekly basis. Specialized teaching strategies are designed to help develop the potential of every child. 100% of the staff and administration are getting their gifted endorsement through the district. Enrichment speakers from the community help expose students to areas of expertise. Through innovation, creativity, and dedication, Riverhills truly is a wonderful place to be!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 27, 2012

This school is great only one thing it does not prepare them for middle school. you know the kid has to grow up so leave us alone teachers. I sure miss the teachers at Riverhills.

Posted February 20, 2012

The teachers at Riverhills are beyond awesome but the administration is in disarray. My child has been at this school for a while and we have seen so many changes and not for the better. A lot of pressure has been placed on the students to score highly on state and FCAT testing to increase the school's grade and many of the extra programs like gardening, robotnik, and ect have been cutout all together. Parent participation is extremely lacking and the school's PTA, which seemed to be doing well the past couple of years, has not been very active. I have learned that while the teachers are doing the best job, the lack of administrative guidance, parent participation, and the focus of all work and no play has taken a toll on my child and some of the other students and parents who attend Riverhills. I know school is not meant to be fun but it is suppose to provide a safe and healthy environment for our children to learn in and that is not something that this school provides anymore.

Posted July 7, 2011

Riverhills staff are great. There are bad people in every profession, but I have met the best at Riverhills. My grandchildren loved the school and staff. Keep up the good work.

Posted May 19, 2010

I like riverhills because the teachers care. they have a fantastic media production program which shows children how to create projects on the computer, research items on hte computer, and create movies using imovie. fantastic

Posted February 19, 2010

some of the teachers are AWESOME ! the other lack the knowledge and skills to follow through to make sure that papers make home in a timely manner so parents are in the loop. lack of communication

Posted March 27, 2009

My daughter has attended the school since Kindergarten. She was found to have a learning disability in the 1st grade and was retained. Even though I was upset, the faculity made the transistion as comfortable as possible for my daughter and myself. They have been both patient and understanding with my daughterand have never acted as though she was a bother, even when she has been known to 'act up'. I truly believe my daughter has come along as far as she hase because of the caring and nuturing she has recieved from the faculity at Riverhills. They have out forth a great effort with her and many other children.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 6, 2009

This school has really changed for the better in the past few years. My child has attended since kindergarten and we were very skeptical because of what we had been hearing about the school, but we gave it a try. Much to our delight, the teachers, administration, and everyone involved with the school has made it a great place for my child and all children who are there.

Posted November 21, 2008

I love the teacher at the school. The people in the office doesn't care for the kids at all. They are rude and not at all helpful.

Posted April 23, 2008

The faculty and administration has done a great job of creating a positive healthy environment for the children to learn. The strict guidelines for FCAT prep and assessments had handicapped many of the teachers' abilities to be creative with the students. Need more focus on the successful students.

Posted March 30, 2008

but the student can be horrible to other students.i personally think they can be alittle more stricter with the students.as for the teachers.my son has mrs.farmer..i can say she is an excellent teacher.very thourough.principle is fantastic.but the school has not met it's marks for the fourth year in a row.and the children are extreamly mean to other students.of course i blame the parents on that.you learn from the home.but i do believe the school can be alittle more strict in dicaplin,they really need to inforce that.

Posted October 3, 2007

This school has worked extremely hard to meet the needs of all the students. Like everything else in the world, it is not perfect, but at least they try. The staff is more like a family than co-workers. The administration is helpful and caring.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted October 3, 2007

I am a veteran teacher in my first year at Riverhills. I am impressed by the effort put forth by the administration, teachers and students to promote a healthy learning environment for the school. During my day I see high quality, standards-based teaching taking place, and a good deal of intervetion strategies in place to assist struggling learners as well as learners that may require an extra challenge.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 29, 2007

I'm sorry to see the negative posts about this school. The teachers that I have been associated with through the past 4 years have been outstanding in every way. There are so many activities that parents can take part in, but it is unfortunate that too many parents do not take the time to be at the school during school events. Although, this year, the events to date have been extremely well attended. My advice to anyone who is looking at this school for their child - make a point to visit the school, speak to the principal, and see for yourself. Don't go by the negativity displayed by a couple of sour people. It is a great school, with a great staff, and great things happening all of the time.

Posted September 28, 2007

Communication with parents is lacking. My son has attended Riverhills Elementary for 2 years now. I have tried sharing my concerns of my child with everyone in the school. The only response I have had is there are steps, guidelines, and this or that. I also was unsure why my child has had no spelling homework. I was informed that spelling is not the top priority of this school by multiple people. I am a single parent and no assistance for me.

Posted September 27, 2007

So far into this school year I would give this school a big fat F. My daughter's teacher is very unresponsive and doesn't always send home communications about my daughters progess or behavior. As a single parent I rely on the teachers in her school to help me help my daughter and so far this school has not been helpful to me or my daughter. If you have a choice between Riverhills and another school try the other school first. I wish I would have.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

58 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "F".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

American Indian/Alaska Native N/A 0%

• Mr. Todd Connolly
Fax number
  • (813) 987-6962

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now