Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 15, 2016
the teachers are amazing- if we could keep them at our school for more than 1 or 2 years- it would be wonderful!!!! i think we lost 30+ last year, maybe 25+ the year before???? i don't know, but it's not right!!

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted April 15, 2016
most kids- yes, however there is a bullying issue.. i don't think kids are being help accountable for their actions... so are- some are not.... not a fair system with the kiddos..

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted December 09, 2015
No I do not feel that this school develops honesty, integrity and fairness in its students. Character building does not seem to be an integral part of the "rigorous" curriculum. All discussions with the children about behavior and how they should treat one another is reactionary or based on a situation that recently occurred. They are graded on character traits but character building is not on the agenda.

International Academy of Smyrna 2

Posted December 09, 2015
I am a new parent at IAS and have two children enrolled. While my children are being challenged academically, I am very unhappy with the way the administration handles bullying and other behavioral issues. The principal is hands off, will ignore your email communications and will promptly tell you (if you approach her in person) that she does not handle bullying situations. "There is a protocol and you must contact your class dean." Meanwhile, there is no written bullying policy to refer to and teachers handle the situations on an ad-hoc basis. Children are not consistently corrected for teasing each other and calling each other names. Detention is a joke. My children's self-esteem and morale have suffered significantly in the past few months and I am already looking for a new school.

Posted December 03, 2015
Love this school my child loves it, nice environment, parents are involve with school activities!

Posted November 12, 2015
IAS is not only a great school, but a great community. The International Baccalaureate curriculum is excellent. Some have mentioned the high turnover of teachers here and that is an issue. However, I think it reflects the high turnover of teachers in all schools recently and to the lower pay at IAS than at regular public schools. However, my kids have benefited from young energetic teachers who are not yet burned out or jaded by the realities of teaching in America today. We only had a problem with one teacher and she has been terminated. Great school!

International Academy of Smyrna 4

Posted July 09, 2015
My overall experience at IAS has been pleasant. My child had a teacher who cared about his learning and she found ways to help the class understand the subject in creative ways. The faculty and staff takes care of the students even if they are not in their classrooms. Yes, there are things that need to change but at the end of the day, I have the CHOICE to send my student to IAS. On another note, I have read the negative reviews that I have been written about this school. Just like any school, IAS has its challenges. One being the high turnover of teachers because the school does not have the resources to pay the teachers like the county. Secondly, ALL of the administration could be more consistent, not just the Principal and the Male Asst. Principal that someone mentioned in a previous comment. In addition, parents need to be more involved in schools, which is the reason for the mandatory volunteer hours. When students know that there parents are on campus or can come to help, then they tend to act better. I have also seen that if parents will follow directions concerning uniforms, then that teaches our children that there are rules and they must be followed even if you don't agree with them (as long as they are not harming your life or the safety of the students). It takes everyone to work together in order to make a school successful... administration, staff, teachers, parents and students. Once again, IAS is a great school and it has great potential! I look forward to many more years to come because I believe if we all work together and support one another instead of spreading negative comments, then we can be successful.

International Academy of Smyrna 1

Posted May 10, 2015
ive been there for 5 years and I don't like it I don't etherize that u take your child here just because its a charter school don't make it different from a public school

International Academy of Smyrna 2

Posted March 25, 2015
I have been at IAS for over 5 years. I have watch a school full of growth and potential be flushed away. The teacher turnover is horrible. There are more teachers in and out of the school it's like a rotating door out front. The current administration is a joke. It's sad when a parent doesn't even know who the principle is, and even worse when a student doesn't. I too have seen the "classy" picture of the leader of our school, and it saddens me that this would be put up by someone who is suppose to be a role model for our students. This is the first year I have seen any repercussions of student actions be addressed. Things need to change, the new parents coming in do not know what they are in for. I know ALOT of parents that are ready to pull their kids if things don't change soon.

Posted March 09, 2015
We have been at IAS for five years and am very pleased. I feel like its an extension of my village. I am active in the school which makes a difference in knowing teachers and administration. Additionally, they have a strong PTA which really helps support he programs. The current principal that is there now, has passion and doing a fine job leading her administration.

2144 South Cobb Drive, Smyrna, GA  30080
Last modified International Academy of Smyrna is a Charter school that serves grades K-8