Dixon Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 650 students

Posted January 9, 2014

I worked at Dixon. My experience was so horrific that I still have anxiety about it. The administration at this school are some of the most mean-spirited people I've ever met. I never felt supported by them - in fact, at times, I actively felt like they were out to get me or trying to catch me doing something wrong so that they could yell at me. The students are made to walk in perfectly straight, quiet, lines all day - which, in my opinion, is a totally unrealistic expectation for middle schoolers. This hyper-sensitivity about noise in the hallways contributed to students acting out in the classroom for the mere fact that they had no other outlet. The system of discipline at Dixon is dysfunctional at best - it does not benefit or support the students in learning proper behavior and it frustrates and undermines teachers - making their jobs ten times harder. I was never happier than the day I walked out of Dixon Elementary for the last time and saw the place disappear in my rearview mirror for good. I found this school to be a TOXIC working and learning environment - certainly not a place I would send my children or recommend to others.

Posted November 6, 2013

I have to agree with the parents on this one. I have had encounters with the office staff and the principal and they are all very rude and unprofessional. I recently went to a parent meeting and the teachers were unprofessional and dry. If they look like this all day no wonder kids aren't interested in school. Based on my personal interactions, I really would like for my children to attend somewhere else.

Posted September 19, 2012

I worked at Dixon many years ago, and I found it was a very good school. I guess everyone has a different experience. Granted I can only speak for when I worked there more then 11yrs. ago.. Maybe times have really changed.

Posted May 28, 2010

Principal micro manages and discourages the freedom and creativity of teachers and staff. it would be nice if they kept the staff and faculty but improved upon the principal

Posted March 11, 2010

I find the office staff to be very rude. The other staff members are very uncooperative in communicating with the parents and helping provide help for the students.

Posted August 4, 2009

I really love this school for my son. The disciplinary action that the staff takes is so needed for these children with different types of nonparenting backgrounds. Another thing I love is when the children walk through the hall and don't speak, the staff makes them speak and have eye contact. There are also so many activities for the children.

Posted October 15, 2008

Dixon school provides my child with a principal & teachers who set high expectations; with numerous activities which enhance learning & social skills. The parents are also encouraged to get & stay involved. I am proud to say that my son (a First Grader) attends Dixon elementary.

Posted October 14, 2008

Dixon has provided my son, who is in Kindergarden, a safe environment that is conducive to learning. My family loves Dixon and their pricipal, who is always 'on it'!

Posted May 27, 2008

My son is a freshman now and he was in Dixon from first grade to eight grade. I love Dixon because they are strict and to me they care about the childrens education and well being.My son did not like the principle because she was strict on them and I like that. My daughter will be starting third grade at Dixon in the fall. The school that she is in now is horrible. They do not have art,music,sports,computer, or anything for them to do. I thank God for my child getting accepted into Dixon.

Posted April 10, 2007

My children are currently a student at Dixon and she really enjoys going to school.Dixon school is well organized and really have teachers who care about there students.My youngest daughter is in the 5th grade and she comes home with good grades because she says she has teachers who are fun.My oldest daughter is in the eightth grade and says all her teachers are cool and explains stuuf very good.Overall Dixon is a wonderful school they have music art and physcial education once a week.The staff is wonderful and I think dixon is just wonderful

Posted March 21, 2007

My daughter is a new transfer student from North Carolina and is having a terrible time adjusting at Dixon. The staff is very unprofessional in that whenever I come visit, they always have negative comments about her and seem to believe that she brings drama upon herself instead of considering that she is from a multicultural environment where children werent disrespectful and the staff truly cared. My daughter doesnt even like to go the counselor in fear that she will get yelled at! I remember one particular time I was in the office and the staff including the counselor were loud and making negative comments with me and my child standing there instead of taking the matter behind closed doors. Overall they are just unprofessional and If I cant get my child into a better school next year, I will send her back down South with my parents,where people really care!

Posted October 5, 2006

As a parent of a student at Dixon, I am not very happy with the school this year. I don't feel the administration is very concerned with teaching the students. I think they are more concerned with finding out about trivial things, like what is going on with the parents. Whenever I try and talk with someone all I get is I don't have time for this. If as a parent I can't talk to someone when I need to then what good are they? There is no professionalism there and I don't ge the sense they care about the students at all. I am seriously considering transferring my child. Luckily she only has one more year. I don't like the fact that I can't check on my child when I get ready, what I get is they don't want to interrupt the student. Bull!

Posted November 18, 2005

I am a former student of Dixon and am sending my child there. The faculty are outstanding and they offer so much more than regular schools. I know my child is receiving a quality education.

Posted August 17, 2005

I recently had the chance to work in Dixon as an intern and I must say as a future educator having worked in the Chicago Public School system that Dixon is one of the best schools overall. The principal has only one factor in mind when making decision and that is the students. The quality of the academics are well above those of other schools I have observed. They offer extracurricular activities that I did not receive in high school. Now, I may not be a teacher at Dixon nor a parent of a student at Dixon but, if I had a choose of what school would be the best fit for myself as an educator or my children as students, it would be Dixon.

Posted September 30, 2004

As a parent of two Dixon students I must say I totally disagree with the statement of the other two parents. I have had two children to attend Dixon and I found the teachers and the principals to be very supportive of the students and the parents. I have also noticed that neither the teachers nor the principals have the tolerance for direspectful, disruptive, and unruly parents or students. My children have been nurtured and supported by both the teachers and principals at Dixon. Education is valuable to some parents. If Dixon was such a lousy school why did you keep your children there?? Dixon teachers and principals provide both a nurturing yet disciplined environment for all students. Sorry the other parents don't think so.

Posted September 30, 2004

As I read the two negative comments from the parents about Dixon School, I realized that often parents do not want to be held accountable for their children. Yes, as a parent you are supposed to teach your children, after all, we only see them for approximately six and a half hours I believe they are with you the other 17.5 hours. I often wonder do parents think teachers are supermen and women. In an average day we may see 90-130 students. How can we possibly call or contact all of the students who did not turn in their homework etc. Wouldn't it be easier for the parents to call the teacher and leave a message regarding their child's grades or behavior if they are concerned? Of course not after all the teachers and Principals are always the scapegoat for everthing. If the students weren't unruly, discipling wouldn't be an option.

Posted September 29, 2004

Dixon is a well-rounded school that strives to set an environment of pride, academic excellence, good citizenship and cultural awareness. Many parents are not accustomed to this within inner-city schools with a 100% African American population. The school's zero tolerance policy is one designed to benefit the children in terms of their safety, their understanding of community/city-wide rules and laws and to teach accountability. All learning and discipline should start in a child's home. Teachers cannot effectively teach if children aren't following rules and in order. Parents must reinforce this at home. Unfortunately, those parents and children who cannot adjust or comform tend to tranfer out. However, there are rules and expectations at all schools. Dixon cares deply for all of it's children but parents don't always see teachers staying late, working at home, spending their own money and making tons of other sacrifices for other people's Education is no joke!

Posted September 6, 2004

I totally agree with the previous parent. Dixon is a big fat joke. The only thing the principal is concerned about is how many seminars she can sponsor and how much news coverage she gets. Some of the the teachers are good. The other parent is correct in saying you are not notified of anything that's going on with your child. My child has been in Dixon since kindergarten. They are so quick to try and discipline. They really should focus more on education. The principal wants to take credit for the scores the kids are receiving. Most of the kids at Dixon come from homes where the parents are educated and the parents are doing the teaching. Look at the transfer rate of kids coming in seventh grade from Perry. Half of those kids don't stay for eighth grade.

Posted August 13, 2004

I as a parent of two children who attend Dixon school one who recently graudated, feel that Dixon school is a big fat joke. The staff, the teachers, and the principal they could care less about the students they just care about the schools image. They say they have computers and resources for the children to use but if you ask the children about it they can tell you that they get on the computer about 2 or 3 times a year if that many. The children may recieve failing grades and most of the time the parent won't be notified. God forbid your child is in the upper grades they won't care they will talk to him/her any kind of way. Don't take my word talk to the children and some of the neighborhood parents. Dixon School is a big joke!

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

All Students40%

Female56%
Black51%
Students without disabilities58%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students85%

Low income61%
Not low income69%
Students with disabilities (IEP)18%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8306 South Saint Lawrence Avenue