Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted March 29, 2016
I do not have enough room to describe how inadequate and unprofessional this school is. First, why are parents required to send things like copy paper and paper towels to a school that is sponsored by a MULTIMILLION dollar company (Ariel Investments), while that company donates millions of dollars to the UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAB SCHOOL? Secondly, I don't know which is poorer: the condition of the school (broken, rusty doors, filthy walls and floors, clothes in the stairwell, trash outside of the school, etc., etc...) or principal Lenette Coleman's poor, dry, uncaring and unprofessional attitude. She is engaging with her "favorite" parents but ignores the rest of us. I've seen this in action over several years. She is not a representation of excellence, and this contradicts the mission of the school. If I could give this school NO stars I would, and I agree with every other low rating because it's the TRUTH. Shameful.

Posted November 26, 2014
Ariel Community Academy is a great school that places a value on critical thinking while working with the children to circumvent unstructured learning. From the principal, teachers, counselors, security and lunch personnel, the commitment from them is evident every day. Additionally, there are various affinity groups that work with the young men and activities that help with promoting an environment where students are challenged to think creatively about what they are learning. Thank you Ariel for making our child's experience an excellent one!

Posted August 17, 2014
If you are searching for a school where the administration (i.e. Dr. Coleman, Ms. Madkins and all of the exceptional teachers) talks and educates not only your child but you about managing finances. Children are taught to follow financial markets and as a class make investments; they are assisted by industry practitioners that understand how to make money with financial markets. We have been with Ariel for four years and can't wait for the school year to start. They really are a wonderful community school and I applaud all the hard work the staff and administration (even Althea and the rest of the culinary workers) put into educating your child.

Ariel Elementary Community Academy 2

Posted June 21, 2013
Quality of this school has gone down. Disappointed in the administration for letting so many things occur. The students are unruly, the teachers yell endlessly at the chidlren, there are little to no field trips. My children will not be returning. I can't wait until the administration realizes there is an issue and things get better.

Posted March 07, 2013
I'm a very concerned that this school has taken a turn for the worse. This school is definitely not what it used to be. There are so many behavior problems now. The students are cursing, running, screaming and a few of the teachers and staff are worse than the kids. I don't want to name anyone personally but threatening kids is unaccpetable. The kids are indeed out of control but there has got to be a way to handle these chidlren. Children are being exposed to inappropriate behavior and subject matter that they would otherwise not be exposed to. I don't know where these students came from or what happened to change things so dramatically. The climate has definitely changed at Ariel from the parents to the students. One child left in 6th grade and my other 2 won't be returning. Dr. Coleman has gotten extremely lax and I'm dissappointed and disgusted.

Posted March 02, 2013
When My children began attending Ariel I thought it was a great thing. That was until this year when the 4th/5th grade Writing and Social Studies teacher Mr. Brown slapped my daughter. Although he will not admit it, he has admitted to a staff member that he threatened to slap her. He has also been putting her, and other students in the closet. He's even grabbed my other daughter by her arms and shaken her. The principal Dr. Coleman won't do anything to protect my child. She acts as if nothing has happened. That frightens me. My daughters are scared to go back to school, and I feel helpless. Ariel is currently on academic probation, and now there is a teacher that is a threat to students. Parents have to worry about the safety of their children when they are not in the classroom. They shouldn't have to worry about the safety of their children inside of the classroom. Especially when teachers are supposed to protect them, not strike and threaten them!

Ariel Elementary Community Academy 4

Posted February 24, 2013
ariel is a good school that most of my friends go to I am trying to get enrolled here as soon as possible I will be a credit to ariel not a regret

Posted January 01, 2013
HOW CAN I START OK ARIEL IS THE GREATES BUT ONE THING I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 1 YAR ALREADY I WANTED MY CHILD TO GET IN THERE BUT IT IS A LOTTRY SO I DONT UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE LOTTRY THING SO NOW I FOUND OUT THAT MY COUSINS CHILD IS GOING THEIR WITH OUT A PROBLEM SHE IS IN 6 GRDE SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ?????????????????????????????????????????? I AM SO LOST ???????????????????

Ariel Elementary Community Academy 4

Posted April 30, 2011
I think that Ariel is a good school and can be great with some tweaking. They have extracurricular activities for the youth, strong teachers, and a good principal that works hard on behalf of the students. They need better character education and monitoring of the older students (4-8th grades) because they can be quite disrespectful, belligerent, and obnoxious. That makes me fearful about my child staying there long term due to these negative influences. I'm sure these older students are smart; they just refuse to use their home training when unsupervised afterschool and in the hallways. The foul language would make a sailor blush and it's not cute. Overall, I love the school and my daughter does as well.

Posted March 29, 2011
Excellent school for students who come to school to learn. Small class sizes, wonderful teachers who are committed to the students at Ariel. A positive, enriched environment for students. Ariel ISAT scores are excellent and the students have a variety of extra curriculum activities.

Ariel Elementary Community Academy
1119 East 46th Street, Chicago, IL  60653
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. (773) 535-1996
Last modified Ariel Elementary Community Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.