Rockford, IL

Posted April 17, 2015
We were looking for a school that fit all three of our children. We toured five private schools in the rockford area. When we went back to observe Spectrum (three times!), we were very welcomed by the staff. However, the kids did NOT notice us. They were so engrossed in what they were doing, that they didn't try and vie for our attention, as they did in our other "finalist" school (distracted/bored). The staff is very caring and kind. There aren't any grades in this school, there are progress reports. Lengthy progress reports. Which, are great because they are VERY detailed and provide plenty of feedback on your child. More information than I ever got from our previous school, and prove that the teachers truly know your child. The kids in the upper grades take standardized tests every year, so if you are concerned about your child's progress, this is an additional tool to ease your mind. I could add much more, but my review is too long already. Check out the school for yourself. I can tell you, my kids have greatly benefitted from the multiple intelligence style of learning in many ways. Think creativity paired with practicality.

Posted May 21, 2014
Yesterday I went to my daughter's school's All School Sharing. It was the last one for the year and at the end the teachers did this. I TOTALLY love this school! As the school year comes to a close I am happy to say that moving my daughter out of public school and to a private school was the ABSOLUTE BEST decision we could have made! It obvious that the teachers truly LOVE their jobs. Thank you everyone (teachers, staff, parents, and students) for welcoming us with open arms! It has been an amazing year for us even with all we went through. I truly believe my daughter would not have had the same amount of support (if any) if she was any where else, or me for that matter. I have made and built some amazing friendships that I feel so incredibly blessed! There is something soooooo special about this school that is indescribable.... It really is a big family.

Posted April 24, 2014
Spectrum Progressive offers a unique curriculum, based on solid evidence, encouraging life long learning skills, creativity, leadership development, and social development. The teachers are loving, innovative, and dedicated. Student assessment is very personal and descriptive, reflecting the depth of the relationship between teachers and students. Spectrum prepares students to be highly productive members of the community. We have one student at Spectrum currently. Our second, attended Spectrum through middle school. We have been extremely pleased with their experience. Spectrum. Is a great community asset.

Posted February 21, 2014
This is our first year at Spectrum and my son loves it! The teachers are wonderful and the smaller class sizes are ideal. I also love the way the older kids help the younger ones.

Posted February 19, 2014
I have had my 9 year old in Spectrum since preschool and have never regretted my decision. I wanted a school that my girls would be happy to attend each day. The teachers are all compassionate, caring and supportive. The Parent Club is a great way to meet parents who have had their children in Spectrum. Alumni often come back and talk about their successes.

Posted February 19, 2014
Every kid should have a school like this. Every teacher should have a school like this to work at. It's amazing to see what our kids can do when given access to what they need instead of what a test requires. I've never seen so many truly happy thriving kids in one place. I'm so grateful to have found Spectrum. It's been great for our whole family.

Posted January 30, 2014
Spectrum is a non-traditional school that allows children to be themselves and where individual learning styles are recognized and respected. In the early education levels children are allowed to play freely during "work time" or "project time". They decide what to work with and how and then they reflect on it which is important for actual learning to happen. At every level the students are engaged so they learn instead of memorizing something for a test or just doing a bunch of worksheets. Both of my boys are self-directed learners in and out of school and although it has been an investment financially it has been without question the best decision we have made regarding our children. My kids have enjoyed going to school everyday and after attending Spectrum for K-8 my oldest is now in high school where he takes all honors classes and does very well. The environment is very family friendly and there is lots of parent involvement. It has been a very positive experience for our family.

Posted January 29, 2014
We love everything about Spectrum! The environment allows each child to become a self-directed learner. My child loves going to school everyday!

Posted January 21, 2014
Spectrum is a unique, collaborative, and creative environment for student learning. Teachers and students are empowered to reach their greatest potential as true thinkers, problem solvers, and collaborators. This is the school I wish I'd gone to as a child! I'm so thrilled that my children have the opportunity to attend school in an environment where they experience the joy of learning alongside their peers and teachers. I know that they will truly be lifelong learners because of the positive experiences they have as their foundation. They will be prepared for the careers of the 21st century because they are able to think outside the box. Kids who attend here are the ones who live out their passion and change the world around them with their positive influence.

Spectrum School 2

Posted December 06, 2013
In my opinion and experience, Spectrum is more arts based and not so much into the basic 3R's. I pulled my child because I felt they would be lacking in eduation for a competitive college enviornment as well as a working world enviornment in the future. A lot of time during the day is taken up by drama, music, art, as well as supplemental units which change but an example would be community service and etiquette. Many field trips are scheduled which frankly I felt the kids would have been better off without most of. One teacher was outstanding, helping those who needed extra help, but the others strongly prefer the gifted kids. Fundraising is expected as the non profit school supposedly has a large shortfall between tuition income and the schools outlay. There are many different ways to contribute and it is expected, not encouaged. This was not stressed when we joined, but it would have been nice to know. In short, If you are an arts based family, this school is for you. If you are wanting a solid foundation in Math, Science, and English, it might not be.

Spectrum School