Oxon Hill-Glassmanor, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted June 13, 2014
St. Columba School is a great school. They have a caring, dedicated, and nurturing staff and faculty. No they aren't perfect, but they do strive to be the best and do the best for our children. Whats wrong with being old school, it helps make children well rounded adults. They are installing air conditioning this summer, which they fund-raised for all this year. They have a great resource teacher and assistant and have started a talented and gifted program this year. All schools are not a perfect fit for all children, it's the parents job to find the right school , as we all know some people are not that easy to please. Check us out we just might be the right school for you.

Posted June 13, 2014
GREAT school with qualified, caring, and nurturing teachers!! As a St. Columba (Oxon Hill, MD) parent I was quite pleased with the quality and level of education my child received. She started in Kindergarten, graduated with honors, accepted to ALL of the high schools she applied to, and received scholarships! [I have another one at the school now!] The teachers at STC CARE about their students, are DEDICATED to the students and the profession, WORK HARD to ensure the kids are prepared for high school, and make themselves AVAILABLE to parents when issues arise. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND St. Columba.

Posted June 13, 2014
Love the school! There is a reason why STC has been pumping out GREAT MINDS for over 50 years -- DEDICATED Teachers!!

Posted June 11, 2014
The way the teachers teach is horrible! It is so old school and the kids are behind compared to other schools. There is no air so the kids suffer when it's hot. And the kids are out of control!!!!!!

Posted December 31, 2013
Despite other ratings regarding technology, i feel that i get emails from the school at least 3 times a week, once from the principal, and at least twice from the teacher. As for other tech savvy tools, i would rather the children learn how to do things manually through verbal interaction. In this day and age, technology changes so fast, the operating system or the "next big thing" will be obsolete by the time they need it in the "real world". Other luxuries such as air conditioning...I have never experienced in school air conditioning except for one or two classes, if i was lucky, so i dont get what the big deal is. They have provisions in place for extreme heat and that's what matters. Teachers are very involved and even when its a small behavioral issue, i've been contacted before it turns in to a bigger issue. They expect parent involvement and reward it. If you dont attend HSA meetings or are not involved, you'll find yourself behind. I hear stories of low attendance during HSA meetings. St Columba has one every month and I've never seen less than 100 people at any given meeting. You get out what you put in. I am extremely happy with St Columba.

Posted November 08, 2013
This school may not have all the fundings for the high tech programs (since when was FB membership and email use a measure of a good school), but I was looking for a school that delivered excellent academics and a close knit caring family atmosphere. I got it at St. Columba bar none. It takes a while to get used to all the procedures and rules/regulations, but the staff and faculty all love the children and think of their best interest in all situations (despite their limited budget). It promotes high acadamics, discipline, and structure. Don't expect to just drop off your kid and let the school do the rest. They expect parents to be very active. Expect to be very active on a daily basis (esp. homework). My child loves it here and has threatened to never talk to me again if I ever think about switching her so I'm hoping we don't have to relocate. To address the A/C situation, they are fundraising like crazy for this. It's an expensive venture. And regarding the technology, call me old fashioned, but I can provide all that at home. My child is advanced in all areas and happily goes to school everyday. Consider St. Columba and decide for yourself.

Posted July 08, 2013
A school that has no programs for kids who are falling behind in reading, No programs for kids who are advanced either. You get the same generic education no matter what, but wait they have a resource teacher who does what ??? No one knows or knows who she is. This school took 50 years to get on facebook, 49 years to get a web page that works, 49 years to start using email. The principal said in the home and school meeting about the email "baby steps". It is not that difficult send an email. Not the school for me anymore. I suggest you do your own research and find out the truth.

Posted April 29, 2013
There are a lot of things going wrong with this school, no air conditioning, no control in the classrooms, Principal who is afraid of technology and teachers who are not certified. If you send a teacher a email, they respond by writing in the planner because they are so far back technology wise. The parents fight against the school to try and make it better, but it is excuse after excuse and no way forward.

St Columba Catholic School 2

Posted June 24, 2011
I believe this school is acceptable, but the students are arrogant, self-important, and just PLAIN RUDE. Very good education, but with the students, laughing at the teachers, spreading gossip around, and talking during class, it was very hard to concentrate. I was even harassed for being "smart" I don't recommend you enrolling your child here, I think it was a BIG mistake to go there. -A student

Posted May 20, 2011
Schools are like jeans or shoes. Sometimes you put them on and you never want to take them off, and sometimes you realize they aren't a good fit. For us, St. Columba has been a very good fit. Overall our experience over the past 15 years has been a very good one. There have been some bumps and the occasional not-great experiences (since no place is perfect), but we have found that the teachers are genuinely interested in the children and in helping them grow academically, socially, and in faith. The principal works hard to be fair and evenhanded with discipline issues and we have found the students to be well-behaved and organized (mostly - they are kids!) The preparation for high school is very good indeed. If you don't attend the church or if the children don't play on the sports teams, it can be difficult to get to know the other families very well (our only real negative).

St Columba Catholic School
7800 Livingston Road, Oxon Hill-Glassmanor, MD  20745
Last modified St Columba Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
St Columba Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top