No rating

Woodmont Academy

Charter | K-8 & ungraded

Living in Southfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $66,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted August 11, 2013

Well I've attended this school since day 1 and since then I've loved it. Not only did I have great memories there, I also made some best friends I will never forget. Sadly, later on down the road things started becoming a mess. There was a new principal every other year, classrooms became a mess, and everything was just unorganized. I left the school in 2009 and hadn't looked back since, but despite that Woodmont Academy has to be my favorite school.

Posted April 13, 2013

this school gave me many great memories with not only the students but the teachers as well. Im glad i went to this school or I would'nt be the educated and fun loving girl I am today. I HATE Crescent Academy for taking over Woodmont. Their not good enough. I HATE CRESCENT ACADEMY VERY VEERY VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY much...

Posted February 16, 2012

Horrible school and the assistant principle Dr.Anderson needs people skills. So Disappointed, my child has been at Woodmont for 7 years and the last two have made the whole experiance bad. This year has been a nightmare.

Posted January 30, 2012

Teachers probably look like they don't care but really they do and are just exhausted from constant classroom management issues, poor leadership, an overload in school-wide responsibilities, and the stress of all the disorganization. If teachers had everything they needed to just TEACH, there would be a huge increase in student success. I think if your students aren't making the grade, focus should be on the curriculum and classroom more than weekly staff meetings where teachers are given MORE work to do.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 21, 2012

Woodmont in the past had a lot of potential, however now it has become very unorganized and I cannot say that the teachers really care. The Principal gives the impression that she really does not want to be there. Woodmont needs better Leadership inorder for the school to become a success. Now that there is a possibility the school may be closing, it really appears teachers don;t care. Some teachers are always absent and that concerns me.

Posted November 17, 2011

Woodmont Academy is a horrible school I pulled my daughter out when she finished the 2010-2011 school year. My daughter was in the 1st grade and they did not give them homework, me and my husband had to make up homework for her everyday, she was only getting spelling words. How are we suppose to keep up with wants going on in class when no progress reports or homework is being sent home. Over the summer we had her work out of the school books that she used in school, well come to find out they barely touched those books we had her working out of the books over the summer so she would not be so far behind when she went to her new school. But not surprised she was behind like some of my daughters others classmates that left the school and went to others schools. Since my daughter has been at WA we have seen 4 Principles come and go and was there from k-1. As another parent stated to me and other WA parents that left the school...Woodmont Academy is nothing but a DAYCARE. My daughter is at her new school and she is doing MUCH BETTER she struggled at the beginning of the school year but with help from her teacher she is doing GREAT!! Woodmont Academy you are a dissapointment!

Posted March 10, 2011

As a new teacher here at Woodmont Academy, I have to say this is the best place I have every worked. I have been provided with state of the art technology and multiple resources along with a cohesive curriculum which follows both state and national standards. I am fully supported and held accountable for high quality instruction using student data to drive lesson planning. Students are engaged and encouraged to do their best with extremely high expectations in place. The principal sets a culture of family. I plan on remaining at Woodmont for a very long time!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 17, 2011

"I LOVE WOODMONT!!" My student has been at Woodmont since Kindergarten & despite all of the changes & challenges has continued to excel. Why? Because of outstanding leadership & teachers! I believe in the Woodmont way, it's vision & will continue to support our DYNAMIC Principle, our staff & our students. It takes committment to achieve the dream & WE WILL. These people will not perish for lack of a vision. Mrs. Gibson has it. Don't be short sighted & don't get it twisted.

Posted January 12, 2011

My child has attended Woodmont for the past 4 years. I was very satisfied with the Teacher and Parent communition for the first 3 years. I am very disappointed with the 2010-2011 school year. There is a lack of communication with teachers and parents. The teachers seemed to be very unorganized and do not care about the students and parents point of views. I am currently searching for a new school for my child. I do not recommend Woodmont. I should have known this was not going to be a school year when I noticed that most of the teachers from the past years quit.VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted January 10, 2011

Their Jump start program (their version of latchkey) is the worst school program that I have ever seen in my life. They allow the kids to run around with no structure within the school, children are left watching children, my child was attacked twice, their staff doesn't pay attention to the children at all and its really sad. I hoped that this information helped someone out in their decision to go to this facility... Signed out, Super Frustrated...

Posted December 13, 2010

My children have been attending Woodmont Academy for the past 4years, and unfortunately I am not satisfied with the lack of organization and the declining teacher ability to control classroom or challenge of curriculum. The school has a good vision, yet the lack of organization and planning has, made it difficult for the school to become successful. The teaching staff today can not compare to the excellence exhibited by the teaching staff 2-3 years ago.

Posted August 16, 2010

As a former staff member of Woodmont Academy, it has been very disheartening to see the school undergo such a dramatic decline in recent years. A "GreatSchool" shouldn't have to continually defend itself as they are doing here. And, as a former staff member...yes it is wonderful to have parents with input, they do make up the school community. However, there is a fine line between parents, and employees.

Posted August 13, 2010

In response to the "so called" parent who said Woodmont is run by parents...as a parent, I strongly advise you to gain knowledge. I love the fact that parents have input at Woodmont and its not just do as I say because I am an administrator. If you think about it, parents bring more to Woodmont than you even know. What is so wrong with having parents with input? After all if it wasn't for parents bringing our kids to the school, there would be no school.

Posted August 13, 2010

Woodmont Academy is a developing academy that was finding its place in this educational community. Do not mistake a few missteps or faux pas for failure, every great organization had a few shake-ups before they got on the straight and prosperous path. We now have a solid leader in place, strong staff members, and and aware families that are committed to the future of the children, community, and the school. Woodmont Academy has already received accolades that have created a buzz about how awesome our program is. Look for more up and coming awards, it will be the charter academy to reckon with!

Posted August 3, 2010

I have had a student at Woodmont Academy for five years. I have seen the ups and downs of the school including the NUMEROUS principal changes as well as staff in the last 2-3 years. The one thing that has been constant is the parents rallying and making sure Woodmont is a great school. Changes have been made to better the enviroment and I am glad to be a part of the Woodmont family. I am excited this year with the return of art and foreign language as well as some challenging courses for our students. With our new leader there is nothing that can't be accomplished. I have looked elsewhere when things weren't going so well and what I found is there is no better school than Woodmont Academy. We believe in Woodmont.

Posted July 28, 2010

Woodmont Academy is public school with a private school feel. I am the parent of two students at Woodmont Academy and we support and enjoy enjoy every aspect of this school.

Posted July 28, 2010

My daughter has attended Woodmont Academy for the past four years and yes we have gone through some transitions, but sometimes you must go through trials to receive your reward at the end. We have finally indeed received our reward. We have a dynamic leader in place, helpful and friendly staff members, a great management company who helps to manage our school as well as a sound Board of Directors who has our children's best interest at heart. Woodmont Academy offers students a safe and nurturing environment and a quality education. Woodmont Academy has supplied my daughter with superb instruction like no other. My daughter participated in the Kaleidoscope After School Program and has enjoyed every aspect of the program. Great things are happening at Woodmont Academy! I would encourage every parent looking for a quality education and a safe environment to look no further than Woodmont Academy.

Posted July 24, 2010

Woodmont has a wonderful new principal, has the highest MEAP scores of all Southfield charter schools, and is now the only green school in Southfield. And, Ms. Jozwik was named teacher of the year by MAPSA, Ms. Helchowshi earned recognition for serving kids in need. Great teachers, great location with new outdoor educational spaces. Yes there have been changes, but progress demands difference.

Posted June 20, 2010

I have had my children at Woodmont for the last 2 years and within that time the school has went through 5 principals!! I was only remaining at the school because I felt that many of the teachers really connected with the staff however 2 days ago I was informed that all of those teachers either quit or were fired by an administration that is full of weak and inexperienced leadership for reasons that are not valid. I want more for my child and Woodmont is not capable of providing a quality education because there is no quality leadership in place. This school is a mess there is no timely communication, inadequate services for special needs students, and teachers that remain who have no idea how to teach, reach and uplift "OUR" children.

Posted June 17, 2010

I just found out today that 10 teaching staff members will not be returing next school year. This is of course after 13 staff members were fired or quit during the school year. WOW! What a mess! What about turnover!

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 99% 19%

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 75%N/A47%
Male 52%N/A52%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Imagine Schools "School of the Year" Award (2006)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:15pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Special education
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

25175 Code Rd