Yeokum Middle School

Public | 7-8 | 731 students

Posted May 3, 2014

This is a fine school. The teachers strive to teach the kids well and the majority of students try to do well also.

Posted March 30, 2014

It is like a prinson... None of the teachers care about our grades or anything. They do not help us if we need help. And if we ask for tutoring they will just let us do the work and have them not even pay atteion.. My parents don't like this school at all. And we are thinking about moving school districts.

Posted January 13, 2014

This school is awesome. I am challenged everyday to engage my mind and try new experiences. Not a day goes by that I did not learn something new about myself or the people around me. I love Yeokum.

Posted May 14, 2012

a school with about no rules they say about two or 3 when i alone have been forced to fight 3 times with the same person

Posted April 21, 2011

This school is HORRIBLE! I feel as though I am imprisoned everyday. The teacher's don't care very much about the students. They put way to much stress on us. I have always been straight A student and I'm dangerously close to failing because a lot of my teachers blow me off. There are 2 teacher's that I really like, they are willing to help me when I need it even if it's not for their class. My team 82 science teacher and Team 81 English teacher are the only ones assisting me in holding my straight A's. The math teachers do "tutoring" , but it's really just 'sit down and do your homework. I'm going to get coffee and talk to other teachers.' Overall, I am NOT impressed with this school. I'm in 8th grade, but I'm leaving the district at the end of the year. I only hope my new district ihas better teachers and better cirriculum. I hope that they get these problems fixed by next year, as I know many younger kids who'll be starting here next year. I also hope the principals and administration can step up to the plate and do their job. Right now, they don;t seem to like their job.

Posted May 5, 2009

I Attended this school some 20 years ago and now my daughter is a student there. As a student it felt like prison wih no windows and I always felt that if I wasnt one of the special kids I was brushed off. Now as a parent i am doing everythng I can to make it a better experience for my daughter but I am sad to say that it realy has not changed much, eventhough my daughter is a great student getting information like available activities and groups is like pulling teeth. She wants to join groups and be involved with her school but we cant get any answers from teachers or staff. This school has the worst parent teacher communication I have ever seen... Mr knight was my 8th grade teacher and now is the asst pinciple ....I really expected more

Posted April 8, 2009

I am a 7th grader and there are way to many fights and stress for me and we are behind Ray-Pec in education!!!

Posted January 25, 2009

this being my daughter's first year in middle school, i don't know what to think. she has been out alot due to illness, and i must say the staff and the teachers have been very understanding and willing to work with her to get caught up. yes, the building could definately use some upgrading, but if it's not in the budget, what can you do. she has had some mild issues with bullying, but i think that goes with anyplace you are. we will see what the rest of the year holds, as well as her eighth grade year.

Posted January 24, 2009

This school feels like a prison the are only a couple windows in the whole building the teachers are distracted and tend to not be very helpfull also the work does not allow the students to show their full potential and over all he administrators act like they dont care and are too busy with other things. Also the disipline used is disfunctional and doesn't solve any behavior problems. Over all this school should get better teachers and a new building.

Posted December 19, 2007

My daughter attended this school for half of her 7th grade year and all of her 8th. The teachers were very receptive and willing to deal with her special needs. The Administration was almost always available if I had questions. I admit this school like all have really great teachers as well as some not so great but I feel the great ones far out number the poorer ones.

Posted January 31, 2007

I was a student of this school for 2 years. SOME of the teachers are ok, few are great, and some are just plain horrible. Both principals are unhelpful. i was apart of the band and that area is perfectly acceptable. there was alot of parent involvement. RIF was a great example of it, even though the students didnt appreciate it. the discipline is standard i guess i havent really had much trouble. overall this school needs to straighten up FAST. 2/5

Posted November 22, 2006

My daughter attends Yeokum, and we have had so far just bad experiences with this school. The teachers on her team brush me off or don't return my calls when I call to ask questions. There is a lack of discipline in her math class, I feel the work my duaghter is bringing home is not on a 7th grade level. Also there is a lot of bullying that goes on at this school that the administrators are doing nothing--or very little if anything--about. If I could move right now, just to get my daughter out of this school, I would.

Posted September 19, 2006

I disagree with the other reviews I think that you are just seeing one side of the story. You need to get the facts before they start talking about the Principals and Teachers. Our teachers help us to the fullest! Maybe your kids are just not asking or taking what they are given.

Posted July 3, 2006

This school is one of the worst i have been to. The principal does not help students who need it, he often says things are not his problem, even if they occur with the administration of the school. The school is hot in the summer and freezing in the winter, discrimination runs wild. Students who have poor academic skills are often pushed to the back of the class, leaving many good questions unanswered, and many kids confused on what they should do. This school really needs to get its act together, and fast.

Posted October 24, 2005

The teachers dont help the students understand the work like they should. I am not at all happy with the way they dismiss students questions. The school is not adequatly designed. They built a new 9th grade center, now they need to build a new one for the 7th and 8th graders.

Posted April 15, 2005

The school is too old. The principals don't help you with and problems. The teacher are not much help. The heating and cooling in the school is horrible. In the summer it is really hot and the winter is just the oppisite. . If I could rate all zeros than I would.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 56% in 2014.

348 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

321 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the Missouri Assessment Program (MAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in math and communication arts, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Missouri. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Communication Arts

The state average for Communication Arts was 51% in 2014.

352 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 44% in 2014.

233 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2014.

350 students were tested at this school in 2014.

All Students53%

Free or reduced-price lunch38%
Students with disabilities25%
Limited English proficient students6%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; data is not reported if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group.

All Students45%

White51%
Free or reduced-price lunch41%
Students with disabilities24%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 55% in 2014.

128 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Government

The state average for Government was 57% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Missouri used the End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments to test high school students in Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, English I, English II, American History, Government, and Biology. The EOC Assessments are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Missouri for each subject. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A45%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

613 West Mill