Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

The front office staff and the principal are bullies.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

They could not care less. One teacher did offer tutoring in reading.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The principal and the front office staff are mean to students and parents. They are bullies.

Amount of homework: no rating

The whole curriculum seems to have fallen apart, how can these teachers teach like they used to when they spend all day getting the BAD APPLES to stop interrupting. If you look at the school scores, you will see they are dropping by the second!! That is not the teachers fault! A lot of them are the same as before, just no support from the top. The grades are a direct refection of "Admin" END OF STORY

Develops character: Disagree

When my first child went here (6 years) The First 5 years were PHENOMENAL! The school was run to be just this! If there was a problem from one student to another, it was not tolerated!

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers are great, the administration is terrible. The principal loves to be the center of attention. She wears silly costumes, she stands out in front of the school and waves to oncoming cars. But, he does not help the students cross the street or supervise the dangerous parking lots. She is not concerned for the safety of the students, she just cares about her own ego.

My two children enrolled at Dean Allen last year and will remain until they graduate to middle school. We were extremely pleased with the school's community feel. The kids' teachers were excellent and really got to know and understand their personalities and learning styles. We think the principal is excellent -- not only did I see her at every single event I attended, but the one time I met with her individually I found her to be a fantastic advocate for my child. The new GATE teacher (started in 2013) is EXCELLENT. I hear raves about him from parents in every grade level he teaches (3-5), and my kids loved his lessons. Of course no place is perfect and we do wish some of the teachers would ramp it up in math and that there were more options for recess play (there's no soccer!). But overall we are very happy and supportive of the school, it's administration and teachers, and yes, even the personable and always-on-watch janitor!

It is just a shame that there are individuals who write inaccurate information about our school, Dean Allen. I have been through all administrations at Dean Allen and have such a warm feeling about each and every Principal who has been at the helm of our school. It is true that there is different leadership styles. This doesn't make for a bad family environment. It has been my honor to be a part of one of the best schools in our school district. Our current principal is the most magnificent individual. She is loving, caring, fair and always available. I recommend for anyone who has issues with our school to address your concerns with our current administration and see how available she is to you before you decide to write your thoughts here. If you have issues with others i.e. office staff, teachers, or any other support staff please give the principal the opportunity to address your concerns. You will find her quite capable of making decisions in the best interest of our children who are our No. 1 priority at Dean Allen.

Three of my children attended Dean Allen. They have all graduated from there so I do not know the current principal, but I have heard wonderful things about her from friends. The office staff is the same now that were there for the majority of the nine years my children went there. They are all very hard working and put the students' needs first. The custodian has been there forever. His always positive attitude is so wonderful, for the students, teachers and the parents. My children and I have so many wonderful memories from those precious years. We are so thankful we moved to that area of town.

It's interesting to note that most often, the people who leave negative comments or give negative feedback are the ones with complaints. As a teacher fortunate enough to call Dean Allen my home, I concur with those who hold my school in the highest regard. Our current principal is not only a visible presence on campus, she a shining example of how to work collaboratively! I am blessed to gave worked with our previous principal and honored to work with Mrs. F. We expect excellence from our students and ourselves...and we deliver! Come visit and see!

Last modified Dean Lamar Allen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.