PK-8 & Ungraded
Jersey City, NJ

Number 5 Elementary School 2

Posted May 20, 2015
Principal Rivero is a kind passive individual who does not seek to communicate with the parents nor move the school forward to meet today's challenges. The school is changing faster than imagined. The increase in children of educated parents will help improve the schools despite the lack of planning. The school is an institution from the past. No warm welcome when the kids enter the school, communication is barely online (no blog or direct contact that is regularly used online) and an atmosphere that feels like it is still 1970. The school simply does very little to keep parents who have options to send their kids to other schools interested in PS5. If your child is in the Dual Language program they are in a better place than the rest of the student population. The problem is the program only extends to the 5th grade. I do hope the school improves as a young/growing neighborhood is only as good as the schools inside it.

Posted September 29, 2014
I love ps#5. Great school with excellence teachers ...thet have a excellent dual language program.

Number 5 Elementary School 4

Posted July 10, 2014
This is a fantastic school! My son was in the dual language program Pre-K 4 and Kindergarten. The teachers are well qualified, attentive and there is great communication. I do think they need to send some translation for the parents for the Spanish weeks for those who don't know because sometimes it was a little hard to help. Sometimes the online translations weren't the same as what the homework wanted, ie goat translated to cabra, but the homework wanted Chivo.

Posted October 18, 2013
Very Good School with well qualified and very good experienced teachers.I Love PS#5 School. I Love PS#5 School.

Posted March 07, 2013
I am 46 years old and I am proud to say the PS #5 is the school that gave me the basis for who I am today. This school has always placed great emphasis on their students and the teachers have always been top notch. The 70's were a volatile era but this school made it very easy to forget the outside world and focus on education.

Number 5 Elementary School 2

Posted November 18, 2010
Yes, the majority of teachers at this school are wonderful. But there is definite favortism. The principal needs to stop making so many speeches and do her job. The school needs more extra curricular activities. Less writing and more attention to the students.

Posted November 02, 2009
This is a excellent school. I have attended it since Pre-K and this year of 2010 I'm going to graduate this school. The teachers are GREAT and the education is excellent. I'm friends with everyone so I would say the students are friendly as well. I love Dr. Micheal Conti *we believe we can achive*

Posted April 15, 2009
The teachers are excellent .This school not only gives importance for academics but also decipline which is first step to success.

Posted April 23, 2008
The teachers are great, the building is squeaky clean, and the principal really cares. The only thing the school is missing is serious parent involvement.

Posted February 07, 2008
My daughter has gone to the pre-k here for 2 years. The teachers are great, go the extra mile. My daughter loves going to school. The teacher try hard to encourage family involvement. I think she has learned alot from these 2 classes. She is ready to read and loves to write. Although there are a few problems here and there, the class environment is exceptional. The teachers really care about the children. The safety of the school thus far is also great. I can only hope the upper classes will be the same experience.

Number 5 Elementary School
182 Merseles St, Jersey City, NJ  07302
Last modified Number 5 Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Number 5 Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top