Posted October 14, 2013
I have had experience with this school for several years. Overall the school is average. There are some fantastic teachers and some not so great teachers and then there are those that fall in between. The Principal seems very nice, but the office staff is horrible. If this were a business, they would have been shut down a long time ago, because of how rude the two women in the office are (one more than the other). I get so tired of volunteering MY free time outside of my job only to be treated so poorly. This school needs parent involvement, but at the rate they are going, they will be lucky to get anyone to come in and volunteer. This will continue to be a "D" school until the administration starts embracing their parents instead of turning them away. The PTO has tried on several occasions to get me to join, but every time I have tried to volunteer I have been treated so rudely that I refuse. I know I am not the only parent that feels this way. Too bad the administration does not understand the meaning of the work "public" school. Great schools are not successful because of the office staff, but because of the strong community supporting them.

Posted August 01, 2013
We are very disapointed with this School I have read the other reviews and parents with gifted children love this School but as a parent with a child with ADHD this School has treated our child Horrible. We have been begging for them to work with us to make School a positive experience for our child and they just ignore all of our efforts. The office staff is so rude and make parents feel like a bother ( I think its time for a new office staff). The best thing in this School is the nursing staff they have been amazing and have become the voice for our child. We will not be sending our child back to this mess of a School.

Posted May 07, 2012
We are very happy with our daughter's teachers! We love the program for gifted children. The staff is very accomodating to meet her needs. The office staff treats parents as an interruption rather than part of the school community. This school does have some issues with bullying. Most of the problems come from the before and after school program run by the city. That program is terrible and not properly supervised. We had to remove her form the program it was so bad. Her teachers were helpful working with us to keep our daughter bullying during school to a minimum.

Posted November 20, 2011
Many dedicated, caring and intentional teachers. Classrooms getting too large (an APS issue). Art or music only once every other week every other year (better than nothing, but kids need to stretch right side of brain as well as left regularly). Great parental involvement, though front office staff makes it tough to be involved as they treat parents like threats instead of welcome partners. Some fun extracurricular activities,e.g. jogathon,book fair, game night and literacy nights, Husky Howl.In a state with some real problems meeting basic competencies, solid education is provided here.

Posted September 22, 2011
this school was ok the gifted program was absolutely wonderful, I also had some good teachers. My one huge problem with the school was that they did very close to nothing about bullying. One child had to leave the school it got so bad. Also my little brother and I were bullied and it has continued until i went to middle school and my little brother is still being bullied

Posted June 22, 2010
My son came to this school from collet park and wow what a difference! Staff and students are so different. Staff is friendly and actually care about the students learning. My son had a huge change in attitude when he started Marie Hughes. I'm glad to know my daughter will be a attending this school as well.

Posted May 27, 2010
This school offers a "gifted" program for the exceptional students. This program is a farce, the program fails to cater to the students needs beyond having higher levels of education. The "Gifted" students are segregated from the normal students not only by transplanting the "gifted" students into a special class room two to four days of the week, but by also making them sit together at lunch away from their other friends from the regular class they attend. This lunch table is also right next to the special needs student table. I found this program unacceptable and detrimental to the students growth both educational and social.

Posted May 27, 2010
A student at this school was reprimanded and discouraged from raising their hand when they asked how old the Earth is. The Teacher also did not answer the question.

Posted May 07, 2010
I was not satisfied with this school at all. I have had problems with this school since my child started to attend it. I would not recommend any parent with a special needs child to this school. I have a special needs child and the teachers and staff did nothing to help her and only made the situation worse. My child now hates school at 8 years old because of the poor example this school has set for it's students.

Posted September 17, 2009

Marie M Hughes Elementary School
5701 Mojave NW, Albuquerque, NM  87120
Last modified Marie M Hughes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marie M Hughes Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top