Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I went here for the entirety of high school and have made a life long family in the school. I knew every other student by name and every teacher knew me by my first and last name. I'm currently taking a class called University 101 in college that is supposed to help prepare me for my other classes. Everything this course has tried to teach me I already knew from cottonwood. I started out as a 2.0 student in 9th grade and by the time i graduated I was a 3.0 student that was tutoring other students. I have learned more about the real world in the school than any of my other friends who went to public school. I can write a college level research paper with my eyes closed because of this school and college professors are notice. Cottonwood's faculty and students are my friends and family because of how much they cared for me during and after my time there.

Two student suicides in two weeks! What is going on here? There has to be something very wrong with the way students are treated, either by staff or by other students, or both!

Amount of homework: Disagree

Teachers say that they assign homework that can be completed in less than an hour. On average my child gets homework in about 4 to 5 classes each day. That is a lot of homework for a teen that also wants to do other sports activities.

School has a great score compared to APS schools. But students are overworked with hours of hours of homework. My son is doing good at this school, but it crushes me to see him up until 2 in the morning just to keep up with the assignments. The stress of being a teenager alone is enough. Students are hand-picked (not really a lottery) and leadership group is always involved with some type of local headlines. If your child has no social life and is a loner. Then this is the school for you.

This school started out as a wonderful place for life long learning 5 years ago. It soon became the norm to have 3 or 4 teachers that my child had leave during the school year. The school when from having a wonderful headmaster to a terrible principle to another principle who is out to make a name for himself the school is merely a launching pad. He cares very little for the students. The school has a lot of bulling and admin is aware of it but instead of dealing with the students involved the entire school gets reeducated on bulling which does nothing. Not a good school any longer.

I'm highly dissatisfied with this school. Let's start at the beginning. My daughter - 6th grade enrolled here. My son - 11th grade enrolled here (IB student) For my son, the 11th grader, school is okay. His IB Classes are highly challenging, making AP classes look like a cake walk! He has watched many of his friends transfer out of this school because of the academic rigor (which is no joke), but my son is very intelligent and despite the extremely challenging classes manages to maintain a B average. He has stated, although the students here are definitely click-ish, he said they are mature and very focused on academics. My daughter on the other hand is miserable here. Being a 6th grader is very challenging here for her. My biggest complaint is the teaching staff, which I would hardly call "teachers," as they haven't earned that title! They are impossible to communicate with, won't respond to letters, emails, or voice mails! They are simply "too busy,"... oh please! The academics are very challenging even in the middle school grades. I'm running out of room so I will just say that don't be surprised if your child is as miserable as mine if you select this school!

We are in our second year at this school and agree with the following: It is an elitist atmosphere, not all children (nor families) are treated equally, some teachers are great - others brag about their high failure rates, there is very little diversity and it is blatantly obvious. Even though it's a free charter, money is constantly required for projects, books, uniforms, etc. leading to lower class families and minorities not being able to stay at the school. Teachers do not talk with parents (there are no parent conferences because "teachers don't have time"). The only way to communicate is through e-mail and most often teachers do not respond. Overall, we think this school believes they are doing a better job than they are. On the fence about staying. Class sizes have increased as well.

Finally, Albuquerque has a true IB prep school that is focused on helping kids find their way in the world, to give back with community service and to become open minded caring individuals. Our boys have experienced bullies at their previous schools, now they feel comfortable and safe in this environment of learning, no bullying or disruptive behaviors so that the teachers can actually spend time teaching and not being constantly distracted.

The road to "success" at this school is paved by exclusion of diversity and over exploitation of staff.

Last modified Cottonwood Classical Prep is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.