Brooklyn, NY
Students enrolled: 1,867

Jhs 234 Arthur W Cunningham 2

Posted July 25, 2015
I'm a parent of an Cunningham student and I would have to say that it was a great school. The only thing I'm greatly disappointed in is the change in system which is ridiculous. CIG/Vanguard and the additional programs no longer exists for 8th graders. Apparently it's called the "High school system", but nothing changes but the students in each class. I find it so strange how students that were originally in General or Cyber went 2-3 levels up.The reasons that these programs existed was to help all students learn what was beneficial to them, but some ridiculous idea was brought up to change it entirely. My children and their friends tell me constantly about the kids that were originally not in CIG/Vanguard constantly complaining and cheating. The principal of this school in my opinion needs to get a grip and learn some common sense. Before this system was established this year, if a program was not challenging a student then only would that student change programs & classes. But going up 2-3 programs up is really surprising. The programs now are called " Advanced, Honors, General." BUT INSTEAD OF 4 ADVANCED LIKE ORIGINALLY 4 CIG CLASSES there's 8 advanced classes.You would think that it's basically CIG&VANGUARD combined however its not. Children of different capabilities are placed in this program. There's kids from cig, vanguard, cyber and general in this program. CIG is the top program for a reason. They don't learn regular 8th grade math. They learn Algebra 1 & Earth Science which is taught at 9th grade. SO WHY ARE CYBER AND GENERAL KIDS EXPERIENCING THIS?? 6th graders enter this school by taking the OLSAT and that score is what should determine what program you should be for the next 3 years unless you change the way you think and commit to school work. This is how the SHSAT works also! I'm very dissatisfied.

Posted June 04, 2015
I love this school !!!! Im a 6th grader and this school gave me the best environment to get used to this school .

Posted July 01, 2014
Hi I'm not in this school but,I recently got accepted to a cig program in my school.I'm transferring and I applied for this school.If I get in will they still put me in a gifted class.please reply.

Posted April 30, 2014
The three years my son has spent at Cunningham were so great to him. Cunningham really brought out his personality. I remember in the beginning of the 6th grade my son had a problem, he thought he couldn't really fit in with the type of environment that Cunningham had. It was a change. But by meeting new types of people and living around this environment, made him cherish the years he had spent there. The teachers were so cooperative. It wasn't hard for him to make friends either. The sports programs are also varied. That was a big part for his time there as well. It brought out his competitiveness. Overall if you are looking for a school that has teachers who listen, a nice environment, and a comfortable learning area, this is definitely the school for your child.

Jhs 234 Arthur W Cunningham 2

Posted April 16, 2014
This school is mediocre at best. My daughter is in CIG (Center for Intellectually Gifted). She is not being challenged and is capable of much more!

Posted October 29, 2013
i go to this school and i love the teachers are so nice and have excellent degrees as what kind of teacher they are. It might be a challenging school but still very good. Cunningham rocks

Posted September 26, 2013
This school is great for 8th graders. They have a after school high school preparation class that will help them to prepare for High School Entrance Exams. The school is very up to date with technology as well. A plus in a modern day society where you have to be experienced in technology.

Posted February 13, 2013
I go to this school and it is a really good school. Sure, it's a challenging school but it is awesome. All of the teachers know what their doing and the 8th graders are not bad, maybe a bit annoying, but not very bad. The principal is also really strong and has great leadership. I have challenging teachers, but they explain really well with what they are talking about. Also, there are so many after school programs you could go to.

Jhs 234 Arthur W Cunningham 1

Posted February 05, 2013
This school is full of garage you know why this school have knife and they like attacking 5-6 grader

Posted January 07, 2013
Great School. So many excellent teachers. One social studies teacher, Ms Frederick is the strictest and *smartest* teacher my son has ever had, she gets him, it was an authentically challenging class for my gifted child.

Jhs 234 Arthur W Cunningham
1875 East 17th Street, Brooklyn, NY  11229
Last modified Jhs 234 Arthur W Cunningham is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jhs 234 Arthur W Cunningham Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 72 reviews. Top