Queens, NY

East West School Of International Studies 4

Posted December 17, 2014
My son attended East-West School of International Studies from 2008-2012, his experience there, from my perspective was a very good one. My son was very challenging to teach and his principal and teachers were caring and patience with him. He graduated and decided to attend a vocational school to learn more about his passion music and becoming an sound engineer. My son is presently working and doing the job he loves. I decided to write a review because I was listening to Mayor deBlasio's speech about his new educational policy about "community schools." The Mayor must have gotten that idea from Mr. Sherman, the principal of East-West, because that is exactly the way Mr. Sherman runs his school. He cares and the teachers care, but they sure could use more funding to do more. All parents feel welcome and when there was a problem with my son, the teachers would contact me via phone and emails. I appreciate everything.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 24, 2014
I strongly recommend East West to my friends. This school is a bit small but well organized. My daughter is going to 8th grade in September will be taking SHSAT some where in October. If she can get a better high school, will be great. Otherwise she can stay in East West till 12 grade. Looking forward!
3 people found this helpful

Posted December 15, 2013
My son and niece both attend East-West. They transferred from our zoned middle school which they hated because of bullying and overcrowding. Now at East-West, they love the school so much and most importantly, feel safe at East-West. This is so important to my sister and I who are both working moms. For our children to love school and feel safe is priceless. The administration, faculty and staff all contribute to this exceptional asset at East-West. We are so grateful! Thank you so much.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 12, 2013
My thoughts on the East-West School of International Studies. My reasons for attending East-West were simple, I wanted to learn Japanese, however as time drew on, reasons for attending became more complex as they do multiply. These were the reasons then become the very things that make you stay. This is because East-West isn t your average run of the mill high school. This school is small with close to if not more than 600 middle and high school students, densely packed on the top floor of a school building shared with a middle school, thus giving you the chance to converse with students who reside from various backgrounds. Yes, this school is incredibly diverse. Even amidst the teachers and staff most of them hale from different creeds and have their own unique way of teaching and working, however every one shares kindness and respect for one-another. This is an ever changing school with tons of unique people, possibilities, and opportunities.

East West School Of International Studies 4

Posted August 09, 2013
I am a East West alumni for middle school and currently an incoming senior at another school. I cannot say that I had some great times at East West, but what I can is say that the teachers are all who like what they do. The teachers are all extremely helpful and willing to stay after school to attend to the students. Some really great teachers left when my year graduated, but the principal, Mr. Sherman is still there. He is a great principal, and he really cares about his students. However, East West is an incredibly small school. This may seem like a small factor but it is actually a really big deal. East west has a middle school and a high school. This means that you will see the same people for 7 years. By the third year, I already wanted out. I can honestly say that I got along with everyone in my grade. Everyone was everyone's friend, but even then, seeing these people everyday for 7 years just didn't cut it for me so I left at the third year. Bottom line-- East West is a great school, small class size, but would only recommend people to stay for middle school. ( Unless you want to be stuck in the same environment for 7 years.)

Posted July 24, 2013
I have taken a few moments to sit back and reflect on what I have learned here at East-West. High School is the driving force, the transition from the person you once were, to the person you desire to become. No school accomplishes that more than East-West. I've grown to assert myself and stand firm to the ideas I believe in. I am now an independent, ambitious, curious and outgoing young woman. I am eternally grateful to my past teachers and to my principal, Mr. Sherman, who have helped shape me into becoming who I am today. My teachers have seen and influenced me to grow from a shy student to a confident, bright young woman. What I enjoyed the most about attending this school was making so many friends from different ethnicities. This only fulfills the idea of East-West being so international. We are a diverse community; I'm friends with Asians, Whites and Hispanics. They have all given me opportunities to learn about their cultures. East-West has never given up on me and has pushed me in doing the best I can by encouraging me to challenge myself. I will cherish the good friends I made here at East-West, and the unforgettable lessons I have experienced.

Posted June 15, 2013
This school is great,I like that they teach mandarin,japanese and korean.I love their clubs,but i think they should have a music class

Posted February 12, 2013
East-West isn't just a school, but a community as well. The teachers here at East-West are dedicated to what they do and will do anything in their power to help their students succeed. Being a small school, teachers get to know their students on a one-on-one level. By forming bonds with each other, the teachers get a better understanding of the student. What make's East-West so unique is our language program. While many other schools teach their students Spanish, Latin, or Italian the students of East-West get to choose between Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. Because these countries are economically growing and are turning into world leaders, we should focus on these languages so that in the future we are prepared to make long lasting connections. Alongside these classes, every summer East-West offers students the opportunity to travel to China, Korea, and Japan. If you are considering East-West, take it from someone who has been here for six years, it's a great school. There are so many opportunities East-West has to offer, it's only a matter of you taking advantage of it. Looking back at the past five years I've been at East-West, I really cannot complain.

Posted February 12, 2013
East-West is a small school with caring teachers who challenge you to do your best and support you when you're in doubt.

Posted February 12, 2013
East-West School is a great school that challenged me academically and prepared me well enough to take the Specialized High School Admission Test and get accepted to Stuyvesant High School!

East West School Of International Studies
46-21 Colden Street, Queens, NY  11355
Last modified East West School Of International Studies is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East West School Of International Studies Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top