Rockville Centre, NY
Students enrolled: 1,098

Posted June 12, 2015
Great school, good curriculum and nice teachers. Various after school extracurricular activities to participate in as well.

Posted October 10, 2013
SOUTHSIDE High School is a wonderful institution for learning. I have 3 children in this district, one who has already graduated, one who is in her senior year and one who will begin next year. I have always felt my children received a top notch education here! Most teachers were helpful and caring. The one thing that I feel would give South Side greater recognition, would be to have more minority students involved in extra curricular activities and even allow them to start up clubs that appeal more to them. I would like them to look into a Step team club or even have a class on African-American studies. There is still a small divide when it comes to this area. I have asked some of the students why they don't do more activities and they say because they don't feel welcome and they never get chosen to be a leader. Have you seen an African-American student be a leader for Red and Blue?! I will never leave this wonderful school district until my last child has graduated. Thank you teachers and administrators for doing a wonderful job!!

Posted August 28, 2013
Currently, I will be going into my sophomore year at SSHS. Lots of the teachers are very good, however you do see some teachers who aren't as good. They have a huge amount of extracurriculars, and the food is better than the middle school. Kids have more freedom, as you are allowed to wear hats, carry backpacks, chew gum, and leave campus during your off periods. They also have great choices for electives (Go computer graphics!). Overall, I love it.

Posted May 26, 2013
Excellent in all ways. Great principal, teachers and kids. Excellent program and the scores you report are way off.... SSHS is tops with a Regents diploma rate of 99%. Best integrated district in the country.

Posted September 22, 2012
Terrific school, wonderful teachers, great curriculum. There is good school spirit and a responsive staff from the top on down.

Posted May 20, 2007
From outside the town, I've heard that this has an accelerated curriculum, but as a freshman attending it, the school really doesn't prepare you well for Regents and SAT Subject tests, instead there are review classes which cost extra money, which is just silly. The school tends to spend its tax money on things they don't need such as a $2000 SmartBoard, instead of a) reinforcing test prep IN classes b) fixing the girls' bathroom on the second floor. The teachers aren't all that great either, there is a noticeable difference between teachers of the same grade, some far better than others.

South Side High School 3

Posted August 25, 2005
School only cares about those excelling in their classes. If your child has a learning disability or low motivation they usually are lost in the crowd. Highly overated, the principle is controlling and tends to cross boundaries into the home.

Posted May 18, 2005
My child has attended school in this district from K-9th. During that period the administration has continually reduced the opportunities for the students witht the most ability to accel academically and musically while concentrating on kids with special education needs. This has been agreat disappoint. Teachers and counselors are excellent but have been squeezed during the process of reducing attention from the most capable students.

Posted December 30, 2004
I'm currently a senior at South Side High School and do not yet have the benefit of hindsight as a graduate. Just a few comments however, the I.B. program, despite the fact that those who are diploma candidates have moments where they approach the edge of sanity as a result of sleep deprivation, is worth it. If you're a sophomore and wondering if you can handle it next year there is some good news, if you go full diploma and find yourself drowning in work and miserably confused, chances are most of your grade is in the same state you are. Complaining about the workload is part of South Side culture and can be quite useful, whenever your parents complain that you're in a bad mood or are annoying them, just tell them that you were working till 3 AM (chances are you're telling the truth).

Posted May 11, 2004
I attended South Side High School and graduated in June 2001. It was an excellent school and the teachers are great! There are a lot of good programs and classes to choose from. I believe my experience there has made me the person I am today because the teachers were really great and I learned so much when I attended South Side High School. I am so glad that I was fortunate to attend a great school growing up; not a lot of people I know can say that about their high school. Thank you South Side High School.

South Side High School
140 Shepherd Street, Rockville Centre, NY  11570
Last modified South Side High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Side High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top