Posted April 28, 2014
I just came to this school from park road montessori. This is my first year although i am starting in 7th grade. This school sucks! The teachers barely even care if you missed anything. They don't explain projects well at all. The organization at this school is the worst because there is none. On picture day over the load speaker they said ok all 7th graders go head down to the media center for your picture. The halls were completely filled! The teachers did nothing about it. It was really loud and crowded.The children's language is disgusting. They curse almost all the time and it makes me very uncomfortable. Even when the teachers here them curse they say hey don't talk like that in my class room and go back to what they were doing like nothing happened! Yeah cause a 13 year old can curse any where else but not your class room! The school is completely over populated and gross. There is sick writing all over the bathroom walls and there is gum under almost all the lockers! I wish i was over at quail hollow now. I feel like dying every time i her the words southwest and middle school together. Don't go here unless you hate your child.

Southwest Middle School 5

Posted March 16, 2014
very good school, I have sent all 13 of my kids here and they all love it.in fact, my eldest son even purposely got himself held back because he wanted another year there! 10/10

Posted September 11, 2013
Horrifying. Unless your child is in the "high" Honors classes. Check, bc there are two levels of Honors classes. These are quietly referred to as "high honors" and "low honors". Low honors is just the old Standard Plus kids, those who scored 3's on EOGs. I spent 2 days going to school with my son who wasn't doing homework (I tried many other tactics before this). What I saw in the class labeled as Honors was like a movie about an inner city school run by thugs.. Except this was real and as hard as the teachers tried to maintain control, these little darlings ran the 3 classrooms I visited. They were sitting on desks, disobeying teacher demands to sit in their seat, walking around talking, throwing things, and would NOT stop talking all during the lecture. The child seated next to me quietly said, "I wish they would just shut up" and put his head on his desk and just kind of shut down. When I approached admin, the quickest solution was to move my son, into the "high honors" class. The red tape required to remove an unruly child from the room or school, I was told, is monumental. Was informed teachers have learned if they discipline or seek help from admin, it backfires on them.

Posted January 18, 2013
This school is terrible. I have personally seen two very violent fights where teachers stood by. The bullying is so bad that kids will act out simply to escape the classroom and the bullying. Teachers do very little to try and stop it. They have given up just as much as the students. Some of the students are so vulgar that teachers have been reduced to cursing and name calling just to be heard...and still they aren't heard for very long. I have sat in on classes, lunches, field trips and after school sporting events and at best, this school is a nightmare.

Posted June 05, 2012
Personally, I am horrified by the amount of good reviews this school has, for example: this school often does not have good teachers while others try extremely hard, some do not even try to teach their children. Fights break out everyday in a competition to see who is the best, graffiti on the walls and even fecal matter smeared in the restrooms. My first year at this school was not that horrific, but the reason is because I am in the Honors, or higher education, team. The contrast between Honors and standard or standard plus is ridiculous. The students in standard have no respect for the teachers and profanity is said like everyday words. The teachers often make threats but rarely carry them out. My last point is the comparison of students in other schools and my school. Our school has an average of 70% passing. Other schools in CMS have more than 75% for the special needs children and more than 94% on average for the other students. I was lucky because most of my teachers were dedicated.

Southwest Middle School 2

Posted November 01, 2011
SWMS like many other CMS schools are failing our kids as it relates to academics. The school is over-populated; some of the teachers lack dedication and enthusiasm that's due in part to the teacher:student ratio, and also due to the lack of knowledge and skills. My daughter attended SWMS for the entire 6th grade, and I pulled her out to home school her after the 1st three weeks of the 7th grade.

Southwest Middle School 4

Posted September 12, 2011
SWMS is a good Middle School. The population is very versatile. There are great teachers there who work hard to try to educate the Middle School child. I have had different kids in all 3 grades and have been pleased with what they are doing in school. I hope the new administration will notice and appreciate the teachers who have jumped in the trenches over the years. I have the utmost respect for their line of work.

Posted July 17, 2011
That's true, there were fights everyday last school year. Staff morale was really low. A few teachers were really dedicated, others not. The ones who were, have my complete respect. Children were dispersed to other classes in at least 1 class everyday, usually more, allowing for weak continuity in education, confused students and some slipping through the cracks. Discipline was very weak. With the upcoming change in staff for the new school year, things should be very interesting.

Southwest Middle School 4

Posted April 27, 2011
I have 2 children that have attended SWM and they have loved it. the teachers are caring and dedicated. I have experienced teachers on both sides of the academic field. One child was an honors student and one was learning disabled and they both recieved an incredible education for extremely caring teachers.

Posted March 01, 2011
This school is really bad.... i heard there was a fight today.... teachers are nice but they dont get respect. And also, no offence, but ruido school is also poor because the 7 grade field trip is really a lot of money to spend.

Southwest Middle School
13624 Steele Creek Road, Charlotte, NC  28273
Last modified Southwest Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwest Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.