Posted October 07, 2014
Run do not walk as far away from this school as possible! They do not care about your children! They only care about how your children make them look. Over the years I have discovered many lies from both the teachers and Ms.Dixon. There are a hand full of teachers that are there for the children, but very few. Its sad when just about every parent you run into will say they hate Bess. Come on that tells you something. Wake up Gaston County School Board and realize that this school is being run into the ground! Do something about it! Stop bragging about being a blue ribbon school when you have not won that title in years!

Posted September 05, 2014
I have two children that have been a part of the W.A. Bess family. One child has moved on to middle school and one remains. Bess Elementary is an exceptional school that does care about your children and their future success. The PTO is very active and all money raised is put back into the teachers, classrooms, students and facilities to cover the shortfalls in the county's budget. To address the issue of the test scores in 2013, what you are seeing is the data from the first year that Common Core Curriculum was implemented. The process (the way the material is taught) and the procedures (the actual test used) were both changed at the same time. Every school was warned that their test scores would look VERY different from previous years' scores. It is no accident that there are so many new houses being built within W.A. Bess' district lines. It is still the best public elementary school in Gaston County.

Posted April 29, 2014
Wow. Look at the test sores. That says it all. It used to be a great school. The principal is running it into the ground.

Posted February 16, 2014
The phrase " Together in Education" applies to every child. It's a known fact that any child who has a parent or someone that is involved in their education, ( not constantly blaming everyone else) will have a much greater success rate. If your perfect little angel is having trouble, work together as a parent and not as a prosecutor! Kids are very different when mommy and daddy aren't there. The principal and assistant principal run a tight ship. Maybe if your child was getting the right discipline and support at home, there wouldn't be so many problems at school. I wouldn't trade jobs with anyone there! It's a tough job and I'd much rather stand behind them and support them as criticize them for their work. Many teachers work 10 hours a day and tutor children who need help all without any pay and I'm sure very little appreciation. Thank you W.A. Bess staff!

Posted January 26, 2014
Vindictive, and very unprofessional is the principal. Lackadaisical, and extremely inattentive has been the teachers in our experience. They refuse to give my grandson the little bit of extra help or attention he needs to reach his full potential. They are happy with him only giving half hearted effort and if you try to get them to do there job they will retaliate any way they can.

Posted January 23, 2014
This school must only care about some kids i have seen it also. The teachers i have dealt with were lazy and unresponsive.

Posted January 23, 2014
They keep erasing the truthful comments. This is my third one and i will keep posting. They have not help my child when he has needed it and have been fighting me tooth and nail so they dont have to. From the Principal to the teacher i have never seen a school that cares so little. Stay away at all costs.

Posted January 16, 2014
W.A. Bess is a wonderful school. It is the reason we chose to move and buy a home in this area of Gaston County. The faculty and staff are dedicated to providing a successful environment for the students as well as meeting their needs beyond the classroom and the walls of the school. The generous support from parents and the community, allow the PTO to provide the tools W.A. Bess needs that the county is unable to provide. I look forward to being apart of the WA Bess family for many years to come.

Posted January 09, 2014
WA Bess is my child's home away from home! He is a second grader and has been there since kindergarten. All his teachers have been extremely nurturing and in tune with all his needs. There is no better place in Gaston County for me to send him!! The staff is very professional and always quick to respond to the needs of the students and parents. Being part of the PTO has been a very rewarding role. Our PTO helps our families in need during the holidays and all through the year. PTO also helps our school offer our students things the county can't afford. I love our school and all the staff and faculty that make it such a great place to send my son!!

Posted September 24, 2013
I have read the reviews of this school and I am quiet surprised that so many of the comments directly reference expected involvement and money. Let me state I had 4 children go through Bess over a 10 year period. All of them came out of the experience loving their teachers, their administrators and their classmates. The problem today is too many parents want to simply drop off their kids at a school and just expect them to learn by osmosis, not holding them accountable for their shortcomings or their lack of self preservation, then want to blame the "school" or the "teacher" for their own inabilities as a parent to be able to get their child to the next level. School in general is a team sport, unfortunately in today's environment if you want your child to get ahead you have to be willing to put in the time. If you don't then someone else will. It is a basic life lesson, to get ahead you can't just sit on the sidelines and expect to be the number one draft pick. I, nor are my children perfect, however, the education they received from WA Bess elementary was exceptional. The school has won numerous awards for it's academic success and continued commitment to our future. Be a parent.

W A Bess Elementary School
4340 Beaty Road, Gastonia, NC  28056
Last modified W A Bess Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
W A Bess Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top