Public charter
High Point, NC

Posted February 23, 2015
If you are looking for a school to drop your kid at the door and not be involved in any fashion with their education - this is the school for you. PA has been around for a long time and I thought we were so blessed to get in the lottery. But now, anyone can get in because they have expanded the school so much that it is no longer a small, quaint charter school. If your child acts like a child, you also may want to reconsider this as a choice. There is no tolerance for kids being kids they are disciplined for typical childlike behavior. With no playground and a joke of a PE program there is no outlet for the children to release energy. I will take my chances with the county school next year.

Posted December 30, 2014
I am so thankful that we chose Phoenix for our daughter. After moving to North Carolina towards the end of the school year last year we quickly realized that the public school that was offered to us wasn t going to meet our needs. Thankfully we were able to get her into Phoenix. We are a military family so we ve had her in numerous schools in the past as we had to move a lot. In all of her other schools she struggled because she wasn t being challenged. She is very smart so she d get bored and talk a lot during class. She is in second grade now at Phoenix and they use a system to assess each child s learning ability. The material is then adjusted to better challenge each child individually. My daughter is really enjoying school now and doesn t get in trouble for talking and disrupting class anymore. It s hard at time taking her and picking her up every day, and making her lunches day after day, but it s a sacrifice I m more than willing to make if it means she s going to be in a stimulating and challenging environment around people who understand and appreciate her personal aptitudes and abilities.

Posted December 07, 2014
We have been a Phoenix family for 7 yrs. Academically our school is accelerated. However they are excellent at making sure each individual child learns in the way that best suits that specific child. My children have taken German since Kindergarten and my middle schooler has had Spanish for 2 years. The library is great they have music/orchestra, Visual Arts, Chorus. They have PE teachers that engage the kids and expose them to all kinds of interesting activities/sports. They offer lunch. Parent volunteers are welcome unless a special circumstance (testing, science fair) volunteering for those is set up in advance I assume to reduce confusion and distractions on testing days (which I really appreciate since 2 of mine have ADHD). Class sizes are not as small as they were when my 2 oldest started there but they are alot smaller than the public school in our district. My kids have access to and are trained in computer technology and my middle schooler is provided a laptop for school and home use.

Posted November 22, 2014
This school has great learning, and they are above grade level in teaching. I like this school!

Posted October 03, 2014
My son currently attends Phoenix, but will not next year. No math curriculum. Library time is a joke. An assistant comes to his room to read, not even an actual librarian. Parents are not allowed to volunteer within the school as we were able to in our last public school. We aren't allowed to help out in the classroom, make copies, or help out with recess. Greatly disappointed in this school.

Phoenix Academy Inc 3

Posted May 30, 2014
I have two children enrolled in PA and academically they both are doing well. However I do have several concerns. Why is there only PE one day a week? I understand the art, music and library only being held once per week, but would like for them to have more physical education as well. My husbands company offered to buy and have installed playground equipment and were told only monetary donations, why? We wre made to believe when enroll ing that our children would have iPads, that never happened. The equestrian program lasted one day. Required volunteer work is a joke because the only thing I was ever able to volunteer with was teacher appreciation week and proctoring exams. I also dislike that comments made on their Facebook posts, that at all question Norcross, are immediately deleted. People should be able to ask questions and state opinions. There should be some modifications made to the dress code as well, ie: shoes and white or blue sweaters. Hope it all gets better as they move into the new building. Going to give it one more year and hoping for the best.

Phoenix Academy Inc 4

Posted April 30, 2014
Our kids have been here for one year. The things the previous person said are mostly true about no cafeteria, no playground, cramped rooms - and worst little to no communication! But our kids LOVE it there! They are learning and happy so we will give it some more time to see what the next year brings! There seems to be NO principal at the 2-6 grade school and at least one teacher who had caused many many problems! There is admin there though who is always available. Let's see what changes they make!

Phoenix Academy Inc 4

Posted April 29, 2014
As a parent, I really like Phoenix. I like the fact the ratios are small and the idea of uniforms. I am very impressed by their test scores as well.

Phoenix Academy Inc 3

Posted February 18, 2014
Having lived in the area for over 10yrs I've heard great things about Phoenix. Needless to say when we had to pull our child out of private school I didn't give a second thought to enrolling him at Phoenix. Overall, I could not be more disappointed in this school. IF you decide to enroll your child at this school this is what you can expect : - No cafeteria - Tiny classrooms - far too many children crammed in - No playground - only an open field where the kids can run around and a fenced in area with mulch - No parents are allowed past the lobby. This creates a feeling of being 'unwelcome'. - No PTA or PTO so parents are not encouraged to be involved - Incessant requests for money, copy paper, communal school supplies - Mediocre communication and very poor organization - Although GCS provides funding for the school they make no decisions on how the school operates, nor can they assist in resolution of issues. - The superintendent is disingenuous. Don't expect her to assist in resolving any issues. - The principal is very good at resolving issues and is almost always available for parent meetings via phone or in person. - Most of the ladies at the front desk are very kind

Posted January 24, 2014
This is our 2nd year @ Phoenix. We were pretty happy last year but this year it is going downhill very fast. Recently some of the teachers who worked there for more than 10 years left Phoenix and took up jobs at other schools. I have friends who are teachers at other schools in the area and everyone said Phoenix is losing teachers because of bad administration. They highly recommended me to pull out my kid.

Phoenix Academy Inc
4020 Meeting Way, High Point, NC  27265
Last modified Phoenix Academy Inc is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Phoenix Academy Inc Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top