Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The teachers are "trying to teach" us the IB learner profile traits. But, they are failing horrifically

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers do not care. They simply do not care

The teachers do not care about the students whatsoever! They are rude and arrogant. The people at the front desk are the only people that care about the students. My child is in fourth grade and she is getting math problems that I did not learn til I was in high school. It is unbelievable the work these arrogant teachers put on a nine year old girl.

This is my first year at Phoenix Academy so I cannot provide an overall review on the quality of the education yet. What I can provide is my insight into the environment of this school. Overall, we have been very impressed with the administration at Phoenix Academy include Mrs. McNees. The school tries its best to communicate with parents either through Facebook, Email or their new app (which is great – daily updates at 7am). We have had questions both prior to the school year starting and after the start date and Mrs. McNees has always been very responsive usually within a few hours. As for the overall school environment, it’s true that the classroom are a little smaller. I personally do not feel that my kids are crammed into their room nor have the indicated anything to me. The school doesn’t have a lunch room and lunches are eaten in their class. Again, this was initially a concern of mine years ago when I first looked at this school, but education is more important. The playground at the middle school is the back lot and this is a disappointment to my kids, but again they do the best to make use of the space them have and provide a good education for my kids. As for the teachers, so far I’ve been very impressed with their curriculum and the communication with parents. We were given both an email address and a phone number if we needed to reach the teacher. I also feel strongly if I had any concerns that needed to be addressed that my voice would be heard. I understand other parents had concerns and each situation is unique, but feel the school will do their best. A big complaint I’ve heard from other parents was the lack of being able to volunteer at the school. I haven’t found this to be accurate and everything I’ve seen is they encourage volunteering (although not in your child’s class). In fact, they have a night meeting set up to go over volunteer opportunities and in my communication with the administration they encourage it. This school has grown immensely over the past two years and I’m sure they had growing pains which are reflected in previous reviews. It’s my belief, that the administration of this school is looking out for the educational needs of my children and are open to receiving both negative and positive feedback.

My child took 2 steps backwards this year due to some bullying issues that were supposedly handled internally. Same students involved and these were students who have been there for some time. I feel IEP meeting to set goals was tossed out and changed without my knowledge. My child gave up on the end and little support from counselors and special exceptions seemingly were made. Contact was minimal unless it was negative about my child. It was a very challenging year.

Amount of homework: Agree

I love that four days a week my grandson gets about 20 mins of "homework" which is helping him learn and reinforce what he is being taught in school.

I love the small classes and the teachers that are happy to be there! I feel my grandson is getting a fantastic start to his school career (he is just finishing Kindergarten this year).

Loving teachers, fun activities, small classrooms (in comparison to county), and a real community focused feeling.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are highly qualified and put so much energy into their curriculum. They challenge our children with unique opportunities.

This school is a joke. They have a lot of teachers that don't really want to teach and just like to put on a show in front of parents. They don't want any kind of parent involvement on a regular basis, getting past the lobby to visit your child's classroom is like pulling teeth. No playground, lunchroom, gym and the library is a joke. The curriculum is a joke, along with their grading system. The classrooms are so tiny and so many kids are jammed in there, the class sizes are no smaller than public schools. I'm not sure how this school has been around so long and nothing has changed, except for the school size. What are they doing with their money? On the plus side-they offer German and the women at the front desk are very helpful and friendly.

Last modified Phoenix Academy Inc is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.