Posted August 23, 2014
York Elementary is a phenomenal school. Led by Principal Keith Richardson, teachers and staff take time to know each and every child. Every morning, he and teachers can be found greeting students by name in the lobby. A STEM school, with focus on science, technology, education and math, York will unveil its innovative outdoor learning lab and new playground in fall 2014. My child has had two excellent years at York, made possible by kind, well-educated, energized and supported teachers and staff! We are proud to be part of the York family!

Posted July 15, 2014
Great teachers! Great parent involvement! The principal is very engaged and knows every kid by name.

Posted September 25, 2013
I have been a happy parent at York for 5 years. We are always warmly welcomed by students, active parents and teachers alike. The lovely, small school atmosphere makes our family feel at home.With two children, each has very different personalities, strengths and challenges. Both of them have been met in a unique and wonderful manner. Academics is very important to us. Social and emotional development are, as well. York challenges all these areas in a multitude of areas ensuring our kids our challenged and enriched. This school has an incredible PTA that works really hard at making a positive impact on everyone that walks through the school doors.

Posted September 04, 2012
My grandson has been at York for 3 years. This is a great school tucked in a beautiful neighborhood. The teachers there are awesome and do a lot to inspire the kids. We work closely with his teachers as he has ADHD and the team spirit is great. They are supportive, communicative, and always have time for meetings. They challenge these students in a fun environment and always make the kids feel important in their learning environment. They make it their mission to get to know the kids. It is also a very safe environment. I cannot say enough good about this school.

Posted February 03, 2012
Our two children love this school. They entered two years ago and have received amazing affirmation, support, and encouragement. They are excited to go to school each day and even say they miss school during break. The school's attention to their particular learning needs and challenges has been amazing. We are deeply grateful for the experience they have had here.

Posted January 18, 2012
York Elementary is a sweet little school and has established itself as high-performing and fun-loving all at the same time. The excellent teachers and leadership drive the school to be great, but all it takes is a quick look around and you will see that the kids are really happy. We have 2 children at the school and can't say it's always been that way, but at present, we couldn't be more pleased. The kids are challenged at just the right level and rate, and there is a lot of positive support. The proof is in the pudding with the terrific test scores from last year--out performing peer schools in the area. The size of the school is just right and allows for the kids and staff to get to know the kids. If York is a choice school for you, you really can't do better!

Posted January 18, 2012
I am a parent of a first grader, and I can't say enough about how happy we are with our experience at York!! The new STEM curriculum and the new principal have made a good school a GREAT SCHOOL. I am very impressed with teachers and the different techniques they use to teach each child. They really do make learning fun, my daughter can't wait to come home and tell me about her day. I truly love being part of the York family.

Posted January 17, 2012
York is having an excellent year in 2011-2012. I have two children there, and have to say that this year is the best yet. Key changes include: a) York is now a STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) School, meaning they have lots of themed curriculum at all grade levels. There is a part-time STEM coordinator who helps teachers implement STEM resources in their classrooms, and we also have an ipad card for each grade. Each cart contains 30 ipads full of apps the teachers have selected to enhance what they are doing in the classroom. York also has STEM nights, STEM Expos, Science Fairs, Science EdVentures, and field trips. b) The new principal is very good. He leads by example, listens to parents and teachers, and has gained the respect of everyone associated with York in a very short amount of time. c) Enrollment is up. Right now, in January 2012, the enrollment is at 530 students. d) The PTA is thriving. Fundraising has been great this year, and teacher s grant requests, media center requests, the Fifth Grade Sound to Sea Overnight requests have all been funded. e) The excellent, seasoned teachers were, and still are, the best thing about this school.

Posted June 17, 2010
My daughter just completed her Kindergarten year at York; she had a terrific teacher and a classroom full of wonderful children. She absolutely loves school! I remain impressed with the way the teachers manage the classroom and know how to motivate and engage each child. I've noticed how riveted and involved the children are with whatever is being taught--they barely notice when I enter the room. I find in my interactions with students of all ages that they are warm, friendly and respectful. The principal was Principal of the Year in the county she moved from when she came to York a few years ago. She has been responsive and has a strong passion to reach, educate and understand each child. She is open to fresh ideas and is a real community builder. It speaks volumes that each student demographic performs above the district for their group--rare even for Wake!

Posted June 11, 2010
We have had a spectacular Kindergarten year this year. Our teachers were amazing, and my children are both reading/writing above grade level. They have blossomed at York, and we could not have asked for a better experience. York also has a very active PTA, the Principal and staff are wonderful, and the campus is safely nestled in the middle of a beautiful neighborhood. It's truly a sweet, neighborhood school with a great community of families.

York Elementary
5201 Brookhaven Drive, Raleigh, NC  27612
Last modified York Elementary is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
York Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews.