Posted December 09, 2013
My children attend Ashley high and I was nervous at first because the school is huge. The teachers and staff are so very caring and very responsive to emails from parents. We are probably too much hands on with our kids, as they are almost college age, but the teachers respond within 24 hours. They are very clear about expectations. We had an issue once and the Guidance Counselor immediately set up a meeting to support our son. The Arts department is wonderful, with our kids mostly involved in Chorus with Ms. Sugerik. The kids love her and she is phenomenal. The teachers are just fabulous in general and I am very glad to be an Ashley High School parent.

Eugene Ashley High 1

Posted May 02, 2010
As an active parent, I noticed that my daughter loved Ashley as a freshmen but it quickly deteriorated as the year progressed by, It became quite obvious that the teachers are not up to par in any standards. My daughter has taken several APs and its a struggle because it has become clear that none of the teachers are fit to teach any college classes. My daughter also has constant problems in the art department considering all the teachers are simply rude and uncaring people who should simply not teach. The administrative staff are corrupt in the struggle of achieving power and it has become evident that students simply have to get that special attention in order to get different treatment than any other students. More or less Ashley should be thoroughly looked as a school which has a bleak future for the future students who will suffer their four years.

Eugene Ashley High 4

Posted November 10, 2009

Eugene Ashley High 3

Posted July 26, 2009
I just finished my freshman year at Ashley and I have to say that it was a joy to be in a school with teachers that are caring and willing to help you advance your education. There were days where I wanted to give up but, having chorus at the end of the day really helped. I had never sang before in my life and signing up for chorus I never imagined that I would love it as much as I do now. Mrs. Sugerik is one of my all time favorite teachers. She relates to her students and is ALWAYS there if we need her and we produce some of the lovliest music my ears have ever heard.

Posted April 24, 2009

Posted March 07, 2009
I agree with the Teacher on this one. My Daughter is a freshmen and she is struggeling in Algebra and appreciates the extra help she gets. Everytime I have a concern or a question the staff has been very professional and courteous. You cannot expect to be disrespectful to a Teacher and think that they will bend over backwards for you. Will not happen and should't. These Teachers work very hard for You and I tell You my Hat goes of to each and every one of them...... So from a Parent that appreciates all Your hard work... thank you Sabine Coffey

Posted March 06, 2009
I am an Algebra 1 teacher at Ashley HS. I believe we have a great caring staff.We all offer at least one hour of free tutoring each week. If you have read through this website, you know that our algebra scores are not where they should be.We are working hard in helping them be successful.For most 9th graders,this course is the hardest,and if they get behind, it is hard to catch back up,b/c math is a building block.Therefore, our Algebra 1 team has designed a tutoring schedule, so that a teacher is availble everyday after school from 3:30-4:30 with a late bus, and Tuesday-Friday mornings.I personally tutor on Tues. & Thurs. afternoons, and will stay as long as a student needs my help. Algebra 1 students do not need to sign up, just show up! We are working hard and we do care! Please, contact your teacher if there are problems.

Eugene Ashley High 0

Posted January 19, 2009
First off, I am a student. While most students will run off on how the teachers don't care and do what they want, and the parents and teachers will say how its amazing, its really more of a mix of the good and the bad. Lots of teachers are completely willing to help you out, but they're not going to give you the free ride (which I've tried for many times). More stubborn people are probably just not admitting to their own faults and using the authority figure of them as an excuse. Not new. All in all, Ashley has been a good experience for me, I wasn't completely blown away by how awesome everything is, because its not, and I'm also not throwing beer bottles into the windows, shouting out 'Eff school man and eff the system'. It is what it is, a tolerable school, with the good, and bad.

Posted December 17, 2008
I was shocked to read yesterdays review until I saw that it was submitted by a student (obviously disgruntled) & so decided to add one of my own. My daughter is a freshman & I continuously receive class update emails from these 'inattentive teachers'. If you make yourself available these teachers are more than happy to keep you informed. As soon as I read that the staff was accused of being 'power abusers' I knew which type of student wrote this... one which was recently disciplined. The comment on the lunches being 'considered bile' was completely laughable. Do they not realize that these are county lunches & we receive the same lunches that EVERY school receives? Holy moly talk about uninformed! A suggestion I do have would be a frequently updated online bulletin such as Murray Middle school uses. I receive an email each time it's updated. Works wonderfully!

Eugene Ashley High 2

Posted December 16, 2008
To be completely and totally honest, the majority of the teaching staff is very inattentive and oblivious to most things going on around them. The administrative staff consists of unnecessarily stubborn power abusers, as well as ignorant and useless guidance counselors. Also, some students don't even eat lunch because the food could almost be considered 'bile', and the quality of the fruit and salad is inadequate. However, there are the occasional teachers that can learn to understand something other than themselves, and are able to assist students in ways that they can relate to.

Eugene Ashley High
555 Halyburton Memorial Parkway, Wilmington, NC  28412
Last modified Eugene Ashley High is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eugene Ashley High Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.