Posted August 28, 2013
I am currently a high school student and I believe the school needs to follow through on the rules. Some teachers are so strict about cell phones yet some teachers hand out their number and let you text in class. Also you are not even allowed to drink a bottle of water in my study hall. Yes there is a drinking fountain, but does the difference matter. Some teachers also allow you to eat in their classrooms, which is great because I feel sick if I eat early in the morning. And some teachers give out 1 hour detentions if they find you with food. The dress code is not so understandable. It used to be tops 3 fingers wide and bottoms fingertip length. Currently shirts have to cover your shoulder and bottoms have to end right above the knee at the least. This is because too many of my inappropriately dressed female students kept getting shorts/ skirts shorter and shorter. Why couldn't they just get detentions or sent home and not punish everybody. For jeans not even scratched fabric or holes near your foot are allowed. The lunches are not great tasting and the bottoms of the pizza are raw. Warm fruit is also not that great. The food is low calorie, low quality and old favorites are gone

Margaretta High School 1

Posted August 17, 2012
I am an alumn from MHS and do not have very good comments to say about the school. Mr. Schoenegge cannot speak fluent Spanish himself and for four years I played games learning all about what different foods were in Spanish instead of grammar, pronunciation, and conversations. I was number one in my class and barely studied throughout high school. Upon graduation, I attended one of the top universities and was far behind the other students. We never finished all the material in the Calculus AB course let alone more advanced math. MHS's science program was great with Mrs. Spayd who inspired me to become a physician, but she's since retired. Mr. King was also a great teacher, not holding his more driven students back to accommodate the ones who did not want to attend college (most of the school). Ambition and education is not a main concern for MHS, it's sports, which is fine if we were a winning football team. Yeah the buildings are old but that does not matter as much as the administration and teachers wanting to make MHS all it can be, which they have forgotten years ago. I would not let my children go here and don't recommend it to anyone, go to Perkins

Margaretta High School 5

Posted December 07, 2007

Posted October 26, 2007
The schools web site shows how much effort is lacking amongst higher level administration. Other than smart boards, when will we attempt to keep up with technology? Our teaching staff is involved and above average. But it would be nice if they could do their jobs without worrying about dress codes, cell phones and other things that parents should be enforcing with their kids from home. How can we teach our youth to be responsible if we as parents aren't role models?

Posted August 21, 2007
In all do respect,I do not think that is a very good school.I think that the teachers need to stay on one subject for at least two days,one day doesnt stick into a teenagers head.The dress code is insane,no holes in the jeans,no sweat pants unless the colors match,it is completley insane.Margaretta has okay teachers,honestly i give a great amount of gratification to the cheerleaders.They have been working hard the past two years,the trophies they have been coming home with,i do not like cheerleading,but to watch them compete,it amazes me.I think they need more credit,they work as hard as the football players,but nobody seems to even pay attention.I hope the new assistant principal makes some changes,because our principal,Mr. boningston,does nothing at all.

Posted June 13, 2007
Teachers are involved and so far have been fabulous. Higher up.. there needs to be some huge administration changes in the district. Buildings are in huge need of renovation but the community has turned down levies largely in part to people wanting to see a change. Our school board has no new ideas. A huge board turnover with fresh young parents would be a great improvement. Great community.. .but it is all about who you know and not what you know. Sports are everything here.

Margaretta High School 4

Posted May 30, 2007
Based on personal experience with the school system, I think they are doing a good job. Yes, it would be great to get a new school but the voters don't support it because of the economy. A lot of residents are also very nostalgic about the buildings. My child has gotten a lot of help from the teachers. Administration wise, they could improve some, i.e., not hiring a lawyer during teacher contract negotiations but dealing with the representatives directly - could have saved the district some money. But, overall I think they do a fairly good job with what they have to work with. It's important to be open and honest with the voters who support them. The majority of the teachers are first rate, with some exceptions - some outstanding and some so/so. Yes, the football needs some changes - start earlier and let everyone play a fair amount.

Margaretta High School 4

Posted November 08, 2006
- a former student
The building needs work. It will be getting work/new school soon. It will be a number of years until everything is final. School rules are not too strict, but not too flimsy either. It is relatively safe. Most of the 'fights' are simply fistfights that are quickly broken up by other students or by teachers. A good school overall.

Posted August 24, 2005

Posted July 31, 2005
the teachers are fairly good. They need to pay more attention to the music programs, they are so worried about the football team that the band is walked all over... and doesn't receive anything. Parent involvment could be better. New administration would be excellant.

Margaretta High School
209 Lowell St, Castalia, OH  44824
Last modified Margaretta High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Margaretta High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews.