Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Awesome teacher for almost 6 yrs in my sons spec ed class. I want to clone him and stick in my closet. Then take to middle school. Lol

My daughter went to Hollydale starting in kg-3rd grade. I really didn't like this school. I tried to become involved by volunteering but it just seemed like a lot of the staff just didn't care that much. That sounds kind of harsh to say & it wasn't true of every staff member but that was the feeling I got while I was there. I really do value our teachers who have a very important job which is why when it came time to send our 2 youngest to kg we found a better school & got the hell out of Gresham. And let me tell you, what a difference! There's good reason why some schools receive 4 stars and others receive 9 & I believe the community the school is in has a lot to do with that. It takes a village & teachers can't do it alone.

The issue that spurred me into writing this review is the fact that with all their petty rules, I feel they are simply setting kids up to fail rather than help them succeed. Both my children have been written up for such ridiculous things, I can't even take their system seriously! Instead of teaching the kids what they did wrong and WHY it's considered wrong at the school, they'd rather just stick them in a corner and have them miss recess so no one has to deal with them on a personal level. The level of communication at this school is SO absurd...I've received a call from one teacher asking if my child was to eat his snack AND buy lunch (asking me if it was ok?!) and yet received NO call or communication when there is apparently a daily issue with another child?! Who determines when to contact a parent with issues? From all the devices they try to put into place (trying communicate with parents) none have worked so far, as far as I'm concerned. I have tried working with this school for 4 years now and am done. I've decided to transfer my children to another school this fall. I sure wish there was someone who could get this school in shape.

Hollydale has a wonderful teaching and support staff. The principal is actively involved with the students. Parental support is strong. My son loves going to school.

I have 2 children that currently attend Hollydale. They have been there for thier entire school time. We have been very happy with everyone at the school. While there are always things that can be better. When those issues are brought up to the principal at the school she takes steps to either resolve the issues or else find out what is going on. The teachers at the school are all top notch teachers. We have never had an issue where the school is militant. I have volunteered in the classroom and all over the school and I have found the teachers and all of the staff to be very caring about every student even those that have discipline issues. I have seen students come back after leaving the school just to see their teachers and ever volunteer in different classrooms.

The one year my stepchildren spent at Hollydale was a disaster. Communication and cooperation between the home and school was non-existent, even though we tried constantly to change that--through emails, phone calls, etc. The only time they communicated was when they wanted to. The school is completely unwilling to work with parents, and my children were relieved to leave it. Maybe the new principal, in time, will change that.

Last modified Hollydale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.