Bad
Good

The one year I got to go to this school was the best school year I have ever had. My teachers truly cared, and my education was excellent. One particular teacher, Mrs. Mosley of 6th grade, was simply outstanding. She gave college-style lessons and challenging tests while caring about the success of every one of her students and having a good attitude all the way through.

This school cares about their students. The principals seem to be set on making it the best, most comprehensive educational experience possible. E.g., earlier this year (the first day of school, in fact), I sent an email to the principal regarding our bus driver's behavior. She called me within 5 minutes. She "took the bull by the horns", and the following week I was in a meeting with the assistant principal, the director of transportation of Knoxville, and the contractor for the school's bus drivers. The principals took care of the issue as if my child was their own. Complaint: Students' parents are supposed to sign "hold-up cards" every Thursday. These are to ensure parents know of any marks against the child that could result in disciplinary actions like detention. The problem is they have to be signed even if there are no marks against the child. And if they forget, then they get a mark against them. This is crazy. They should only have parents sign cards acknowledging when their child has received a mark of some sort. My child's complaints would be, 1) the pressure she feels from the teachers in her Honors classes, and 2) the pressure in Technology: the typing tests are timed.

If you don't like homework this is not the school for you. I appreciate the fact that they are preparing the children for high school, but this is craziness. This school functions like college. The teachers lecture during class time and work comes home. The children have a five subject notebook to keep up for every class and its checked and part of their grade. They have numerous test every week. My child missed a day of school and the next night we had 26 pages of homework and three test to try to study for. My child has no life now other than homework and school, he had to drop out of all extracurricular activities because of all the work. Principle is very nice and some of the teachers are caring, but be prepared to work and work hard every night.

This school is AMAZING!!! Everybody is soooo nice!! (this includes the staff and the students) I will definitly miss it when I move! I never want to miss a day of school!

My daughter is a 7th grader at Bearden but she always talks about how she would love to go to WVMS. Although, we are not zoned for this particular school, therefore she may not transfer. She often tells me how great of a school this is and how far she can go just by going here. I just wish I could transfer her here!

Fantastic school!!! I'm a parent of a 7th grader and we couldn't be more pleased. The new principal is refreshing. He and the teachers excel in their desire to educate the students and their overall success.

If you think having a conference with the teacher would help get your child into a better start, well think again!!! The teachers here in WV not only would not admit their fault but will make your child suffer with humiliation in class and a terrible year!

It's been a great school for our daughter and her friends

Last modified West Valley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.