Oakland, TN

Oakland Elementary School 4

Posted August 14, 2014
My daughter has been going to OES since kindergarten and now is in the 4th grade. We have been very fortunate to have had outstanding teachers 3 of the 4 years she has attended OES. The teacher that I felt like was there to just collect a paycheck no longer works at OES. At the beginning of the school year, I was worried that the school was going to be too crowded due to 4th and 5th graders now attending. But this wasn't the case at all. Again my daughter has gotten an outstanding teacher. Like all public schools, OES does have some issues. The school could definitely use their web page more for parent information and upcoming activities. They could also revamp the pick up line and parents could get more involved in the PTA. The school has had three different principles since my daughter started attending OES. The school's saving grace has been Mr. Cunningham. He is the Assistant Principal and started working a year ago. All of the kids love him and he is not only extremely friendly, but handles issues that arise right away to get the issues corrected. Hopefully one day he will be the Principle. Overall, OES is a good school.

Posted August 13, 2014
If there was an option to give this school zero stars then I would use it. This school is truly horrendous. The majority of the staff is lazy and gives you an attitude that lets you know that you have put them out for having to actually do their job. We have 1 child currently attending this school and she's constantly being sent home with accident reports that we never get phone calls for. They lost her registration papers that I spent almost 30 minutes filling out. As well as the important custody papers attached to it. I'm listed as their emergency contact (I am the only mother she has had for 5 and a half years), but because the staff does not like me after I made them do their job following a bullying incident on the bus, they refuse to contact me when they need the emergency contact. Her father had to get in their case about that. The turnover rate for principals is appalling. Every time I have to deal with this school I am left feeling supremely frustrated.

Posted March 21, 2014
Do not even bother talking to the board of education about your concern about your children education because they are not going to help any. You have to do the teacher job to get your children to pass.

Oakland Elementary School 4

Posted January 08, 2014
This is my first year to experience Oakland Elementary School. I have a son that started Kindergarden and a daughter in 3rd grade. Last year my daughter was in private school . Due to the price of tuition for 2 to go to private school, there was no way I could afford to send them both to private. I also did not want to send one without the other so, Oakland Elem was my only option. So far, both of my kids LOVE this school! My son has a very loving and kindhearted teacher. He is also reading and excelling in math. My daughter is doing great as well and is in the HAP program (high achievers program). The only thing I do not like is wearing uniforms. I never had to wear uniforms growing up and I feel kids at this age should be able to express who they are. I also do not like how they keep blowing the whistle during lunch because others were being too loud. It was getting annoying when I went to visit them for lunch. The homework load is about the same load as in private school. You have to be involved in it and help your child understand if they do not get it. They do presentations in front of the class and projects. Overall, I would say we are having a great school year! Thanks!

Oakland Elementary School 2

Posted November 21, 2013
Oakland Elementary seems like an okay school until your child is anything less than stellar. My child is in Kindergarten and is 5 years old. I don't know how the other parents are doing it but we spend at least two hours a night trying to help her learn on a curriculum that I had in 3rd grade. It sounds great that they push the kids with common core, but at that age frustration and anxiety are shaping her more than an advance curriculum that is only possible through memorization not actual learning. She is spelling "sight words", before they ever teach phonemic awareness. I wish that was the only problem. Of course I am bias, but giving my child a 4 (1 is good 5 is bad) for talking in the hallway seems a bit harsh. The principal seems lost. During Thanksgiving lunch it seemed as though the teachers had no leadership coordinating the whole event. I grew up in public schools and have a 4 year degree. Its the support of the teachers not the over disciplining and ridiculous curriculum that help a child learn. Very disorganized. Fayette county schools have a long way to go. The board needs to remove all leadership at that school and turn it around. Rumor is it gets worse.

Posted October 04, 2013
I have two children at this school. This is our second year. All 4 of the teachers we have had have been wonderful. The teachers really care about the students and making their elementary education successful. Not only that, but I also feel my children were both cared for in a loving, healthy way. The most important thing I can say about this school and ANY school for that matter, is to be involved. Dropping your kid off and picking them up without so much as a conversation with their teacher is not going to work these days. Be involved. If you have a day off of work, go have lunch with your child. Ask to help in the class. See if the librarian needs assistance. My children see that I care, their teacher cares and it makes them care. They WANT to do well. Does OES have the latest technology and the most beautiful campus in the country? No. Do they give every child the tools they need to become a successful student and human being? Yes. We have been very happy and will continue to support our school.

Posted October 03, 2013
My daughter started kindergarten this year at OES. So far, we have had no problems. Her teacher is great as well as all of the other administrators that I've met. We considered sending ours to private school but decided to try OES first. I don't have anything negative to say about the school or curriculum. My daughter is doing very well and loves OES! The staff is trying really hard to make improvements where they see fit.

Posted October 02, 2013
I have had my child in this school 2yrs and i have seen no improvements. Most parents i have spoke with seem to be in total lala land when asked if they see the issues.Even saw where they requested on a FB page to come to this site post reviews to bring the ratings up...smh Guess it is true how small towns try to hide things.

Posted October 01, 2013
I love this school! We have been at this school for 6 years now and I have no complaints! I strongly recommend this school to anyone!

Posted September 30, 2013
We have two children at OES. We love the school. The number of children per class is small. Every teacher we have had has been great. My child was absent Friday and the teacher texted me over the weekend to see how he was feeling. They welcome parent involvement. You do not have to be a room parent to help out. I would never leave this school to goto a private school. They are getting a great education here.

Oakland Elementary School
14925 Hwy 194 North, Oakland, TN  38060
Last modified Oakland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top