Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Luna Elementary School 2

Posted October 13, 2015
I had a daughter who attended this school for three years. During that time her teacher noticed that she was having a difficult time. They put her in tier 1, no progress. She began tier 2 and still showed no progress. She was having a problem with staying focused when working alone. I had a meeting with the principal, counselor, substitute teacher, tier 2 math, tier 2 reading teacher and another teacher from last year. However, no one told me I was having a meeting with 6 people. During this meeting I was showed homework that my daughter did and her test scores. The Principal said she thought it was because my daughter’s birthday was late and I should consider holding her back. I told her I don't think it’s because of her age, I think it’s because she has a problem with staying focus. She told her substitute teacher to let her do her homework again and if she fails then put that grade and don't help her because she doesn't need to pass if she can’t do the work. If you can just imagine how I felt at that time when those words came out of her mouth. This new principal never interacted with my daughter so how could she say that without figuring out the REAL problem. It felt like it was bash your child day. Like oh she can’t do the works so fail her and hold her back. I brought a note to the counselor prior to this meeting from my doctor requesting testing. The principle and the counselor told me they no longer did testing. However, when I called the Garland Independent School District she told me they did do testing and to contact the diagnostician at your child's school. Well, I did and she told me the same thing that Garland no longer does testing but could set in my daughters progress meetings with me. I called GISD and asked, what I do if everyone is telling me they no longer perform testing. She couldn't really answer my question, almost if she was afraid to tell me something. So I hung up! I took my child out of that school and put her into another school in the GISD, which they offered to test my daughter but I already had an appointment with Scottish Rite Hospital. I am so glad my daughter is finally getting the help she deserves. If the principle and the counselor would have just giving me the necessary resources, I would still have my child here. Instead, they brushed it under the rug and were set on having her repeating the second grade.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 13, 2015
I would like to day thank you to her 1st grade teacher and her substitute teacher in second grade.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted October 13, 2015
I honestly think it just depends on the teacher. Her teacher in first grade kept in close contact and I felt as if she was actually trying to help my daughter.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 13, 2015
There are spelling words and vocabulary words each week. Spelling words 15-20 and vocabulary 6-8. She had to know all words in four days. Once a week math.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted October 13, 2015
I don't feel that they did with my child. However, when my daughter had a substitute teacher for the last couple months of school I saw some improvement in her work.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted October 13, 2015
If your child is not having a problem with school they do. If you have a child who is a distraction because they are having a problem with completing their work then no.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted October 13, 2015
They didn't have compassionate for my child when I told the Principle and Counselor my child may have a problem with staying focused when working along, I thought it was mental. The Principle was seat on mu child repeating her current grade. I was told that they no longer test their students but my doctor told me otherwise and GISD. I also had a lady from a different school tell me the same thing happened to her child at but after fighting for months she received testing.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Luna Elementary School 5

Posted July 28, 2013
Wonderful school with great and caring teachers! My son has a learning disability and the teachers worked so well with him. The office staff has always been polite and helpful during my encounters with them.

Luna Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2013
-school with no windows in classrooms -yelling teachers !!! -cafeteria menu:pizza,big johns,hotdogs and candies promote good work. =preparing kids for penitencery / fema camps

1050 Lochness Lane, Garland, TX  75044
Last modified Luna Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.