Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My dad went to Lamar High School 30 years ago. Here I am, a sophomore at Lamar High School today in 2016. Lamar is filled with many opportunities for students ranging from professional and creative levels. There are a handful of clubs and a handful of leading chances for every student. Lamar is a fun and safe community for all students. The teachers are extremely dedicated. They always strive for educating students, preparing them for the real world. Teachers at Lamar seem to constantly impress my mom every time she visits! My mother graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BBA in Finance and my father graduated from the University of Houston with a BBA in Finance and a bachelors in Accounting. Lamar has setup a huge opportunity for my family and I with professional and money making careers, just like a school should. I have found myself to be the president of multiple clubs at Lamar as well as eyes open for my own personal professional career in the future.

LHS is true college prep. All classes are IB, but doing the work (academic and extracurricular) necessary to earn the full IB diploma is an accomplishment of which any high school student (and parent) can be proud. I personally know seniors who have attended Harvard, Stanford... and have excelled in those revered institutions. Naysayers simply did not apply themselves or fell short for some other personal reason. Those folks wanted a diploma handed to them and became bitter when they were asked to dig deep and learn what was being offered. Don't listen to them. Water will seek its level whatever the environment. If you want true college prep, get thee to Lamar!

I had a very positive experience at Lamar. I graduated in 2008 with the IB Diploma and went on to attend a top ten university. I formed lifelong friendships at Lamar, appreciated the diverse student body that only a large public school can offer, and had some great teachers. I think Lamar provides a great opportunity to prepare yourself for college and for life.

I go to Lamar High School, and I can't believe the things people say about it. I had the choice of going either to Bellaire or Here, and I chose Lamar. At first, like everyone else i was only going to be with my friends but, now I love it. I love my teachers, I love my classes, I love the students. I love everything about Lamar. I'm proud of my school, and what anyone else has to say about MY school is their opinion. Yes, the school has a lot of students but then again, Which school doesn't? Exactly. The school is old and dirty, I agree. Mostly. But, See they're working to change that. Next year in 2015 they're remodeling the school, okay? The school will look better and nicer than it does now. I, for one, Can not wait for that. The school will look awesome. I love Lamar.

This school is the most disorganized school.They can never get your schedule right.Even though you give in your absent notes in and they give you a note as proof to show you have given in a note and also your child had all 89 and above grades in that subject they can deny you a credit.When we appealed for the credit it was denied because they want original notes for the absences which had already been given in and it is impossible to go back to a doctor or hospital to get a letter for being absent some six months ago.When the student needs to see a counselor they are given the run around and are not allowed to see them,I don't see what is the point of having a counselor if they can't see them when needed.If you have to sign your child out you are told to go to so many different offices.The teachers just give homework and expect children to just read and answer questions or watch videos online.Teachers never put in grades on time and so it shows your child is failing and missing assignments,students have to keep on emailing teachers everyday to ask if they can please put in their grades because they cannot participate in activities if it shows they are failing.

This school is terrible. I am a student here and I have attended this school for three years and there is nothing truly good about this school. I've not learned one single thing since my freshman year, all of my learning has been from websites that goes into thorough explanation about the subject. Some of the teachers simply throw out a guiding question, an assignment and expect us to completely understand. The learning process if complicated because there is no real support. The school is VERY money hungry. They have continuously raised the prices on pretty much everything and none of the money seems to be truly for improving the school. The classes are entirely overcrowded which makes it that much harder to learn. The school is more focused on uniforms than actual education. The grading system would only be fair if teachers actually put in grades. I strongly dislike this school. It is very dirty, hard to learn and it doesn't reach out to everyone because they only focus on memorization instead of actually learning. I would not recommend this school to ANYONE.

I attended Lamar High School. It was very pleasant. However, I warn you, that if you are going only to get the grade, you do not know anything about getting an education. It starts with you, your community, your businesses. Involvement from everybody. My best advice is "Team Up". Get out there and show everybody what Texas does well!

The only reason I'm giving Lamar 3 stars out of five is because my respect for my teachers. The administration deserves a score of below zero! I've heard criticism about the teachers at Lamar and I don't say it's not true, but it is only true about the teachers who teach regular classes. I've had many IB and some AP classes and my teachers were wonderful. They were passionate about what they were teaching and could truly inspire us. I started liking subjects I used to hate after taking them as IB. But of course that's not the case with the regular or even pre-IB classes. I'm not sure I should express my opinion about the administration though! Let me just say that they treat students as cockroaches, don't mind ruining a student's entire future, and intentionally try to be the least helpful! No wonder that every year some of the best IB teachers leave Lamar for DeBakey and other schools... But I really want to say that IB teachers are so nice and supportive that I wish I could stay their student forever. So if you ever decide to go to Lamar (I'm not sure it's a good decision!), don't make the mistake of taking regular classes! Believe it or not, IB is more fun and interesting! :)

I'm a student at Lamar and it's a disgusting to place to come to everyday to "learn". In fact, I've hardly learn anything this year at all. The teachers are extremely disorganized and half of the time aren't prepared or just simply lazy. The campus is old and gross and the staff doesn't do anything about it. We've had toilet paper in our trees and eggs splattered on the ground for over a month now and now has the decency to pick it up. The administrators are rude and don't even try to help students in need at all. It's honestly the worst school I've ever been to and I only came to this school because I thought it seemed fairly organized but wow was I wrong. If you're planning to bring your kids here or applying here, please think again and visit the campus before you come. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone I know.

My school is Lamar High School located on Westheimer. I hate it here so much. They have blocked all the fun things on the internet like Netflix, Miniclip, etc. Even when your teacher allows you to use it they continue to block it. They have bars on the windows to make it seem we are in jail. And they also have a rule where if you have to use the restroom, the teacher has to call the A.P. and ask permission with your I.D. number. Then the A.P. makes the decision if you can use the restroom or not. Most of the teachers are rude and dont teach very well and my son has been trying to get into tutorials but there are only 3-4 tutorial teachers for that school. Even though the attendance is about 2,000-3,000 kids. Please!!!! Send your children somewhere else!!!!!

Last modified Lamar High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.