Lamar High School 5

Posted October 18, 2014
I go to Lamar High School, and I can't believe the things people say about it. I had the choice of going either to Bellaire or Here, and I chose Lamar. At first, like everyone else i was only going to be with my friends but, now I love it. I love my teachers, I love my classes, I love the students. I love everything about Lamar. I'm proud of my school, and what anyone else has to say about MY school is their opinion. Yes, the school has a lot of students but then again, Which school doesn't? Exactly. The school is old and dirty, I agree. Mostly. But, See they're working to change that. Next year in 2015 they're remodeling the school, okay? The school will look better and nicer than it does now. I, for one, Can not wait for that. The school will look awesome. I love Lamar.

Posted October 18, 2014
This school is the most disorganized school.They can never get your schedule right.Even though you give in your absent notes in and they give you a note as proof to show you have given in a note and also your child had all 89 and above grades in that subject they can deny you a credit.When we appealed for the credit it was denied because they want original notes for the absences which had already been given in and it is impossible to go back to a doctor or hospital to get a letter for being absent some six months ago.When the student needs to see a counselor they are given the run around and are not allowed to see them,I don't see what is the point of having a counselor if they can't see them when needed.If you have to sign your child out you are told to go to so many different offices.The teachers just give homework and expect children to just read and answer questions or watch videos online.Teachers never put in grades on time and so it shows your child is failing and missing assignments,students have to keep on emailing teachers everyday to ask if they can please put in their grades because they cannot participate in activities if it shows they are failing.

Posted September 30, 2014
This school is terrible. I am a student here and I have attended this school for three years and there is nothing truly good about this school. I've not learned one single thing since my freshman year, all of my learning has been from websites that goes into thorough explanation about the subject. Some of the teachers simply throw out a guiding question, an assignment and expect us to completely understand. The learning process if complicated because there is no real support. The school is VERY money hungry. They have continuously raised the prices on pretty much everything and none of the money seems to be truly for improving the school. The classes are entirely overcrowded which makes it that much harder to learn. The school is more focused on uniforms than actual education. The grading system would only be fair if teachers actually put in grades. I strongly dislike this school. It is very dirty, hard to learn and it doesn't reach out to everyone because they only focus on memorization instead of actually learning. I would not recommend this school to ANYONE.

Lamar High School 4

Posted May 30, 2014
I attended Lamar High School. It was very pleasant. However, I warn you, that if you are going only to get the grade, you do not know anything about getting an education. It starts with you, your community, your businesses. Involvement from everybody. My best advice is "Team Up". Get out there and show everybody what Texas does well!

Posted May 28, 2014
The only reason I'm giving Lamar 3 stars out of five is because my respect for my teachers. The administration deserves a score of below zero! I've heard criticism about the teachers at Lamar and I don't say it's not true, but it is only true about the teachers who teach regular classes. I've had many IB and some AP classes and my teachers were wonderful. They were passionate about what they were teaching and could truly inspire us. I started liking subjects I used to hate after taking them as IB. But of course that's not the case with the regular or even pre-IB classes. I'm not sure I should express my opinion about the administration though! Let me just say that they treat students as cockroaches, don't mind ruining a student's entire future, and intentionally try to be the least helpful! No wonder that every year some of the best IB teachers leave Lamar for DeBakey and other schools... But I really want to say that IB teachers are so nice and supportive that I wish I could stay their student forever. So if you ever decide to go to Lamar (I'm not sure it's a good decision!), don't make the mistake of taking regular classes! Believe it or not, IB is more fun and interesting! :)

Posted May 14, 2014
I'm a student at Lamar and it's a disgusting to place to come to everyday to "learn". In fact, I've hardly learn anything this year at all. The teachers are extremely disorganized and half of the time aren't prepared or just simply lazy. The campus is old and gross and the staff doesn't do anything about it. We've had toilet paper in our trees and eggs splattered on the ground for over a month now and now has the decency to pick it up. The administrators are rude and don't even try to help students in need at all. It's honestly the worst school I've ever been to and I only came to this school because I thought it seemed fairly organized but wow was I wrong. If you're planning to bring your kids here or applying here, please think again and visit the campus before you come. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone I know.

Posted April 21, 2014
My school is Lamar High School located on Westheimer. I hate it here so much. They have blocked all the fun things on the internet like Netflix, Miniclip, etc. Even when your teacher allows you to use it they continue to block it. They have bars on the windows to make it seem we are in jail. And they also have a rule where if you have to use the restroom, the teacher has to call the A.P. and ask permission with your I.D. number. Then the A.P. makes the decision if you can use the restroom or not. Most of the teachers are rude and dont teach very well and my son has been trying to get into tutorials but there are only 3-4 tutorial teachers for that school. Even though the attendance is about 2,000-3,000 kids. Please!!!! Send your children somewhere else!!!!!

Lamar High School 4

Posted June 15, 2013
Okay, this is going to explain everything about Lamar. Teachers and Curriculum: -Teachers do their best at what they do, sometimes they are restricted to what they want to teach by the administration. -The IB and regular curriculum are similar, they both involve IB in it, however, the IB curriculum focuses and other things that are more rigorous than the standard curriculum. Administration & Principal: -The Lamar administration has to be one of the most productive and helpful administrations out of many schools in Houston. -The assistant principals/ deans do a lot to help children, but sometimes can go a little far with some rules, I understand that there are rules, but sometimes they go a little too far with some rules. -The principal is definitely not seen very much, but he does a lot for the school that benefits the students. Overall: Lamar is a good choice if your child wants an education, however, there are some students at Lamar that don't have good manners and are disrespectful, but what do you expect for such a big school? Lamar has a lot of resources that most schools do not have, and Lamar is a good place to learn and grow.

Posted June 09, 2013
Lamar is riding on the faded glories of its past. The principal, a tyrant who kisses up to the destructive superintendent, is abusive to teachers and dismissive of parents. He says his door is open to parents but he does everything in his considerable power to avoid meeting with them. He is untouchable (see kissing up to superintendent, above) and our family does not foresee positive changes. Our child in in the purported IB Program but it is a joke. Most of the best teachers have left the school and even the Houston ISD and the ones left are having to teach courses in which they have insufficient knowledge of the material. There is academic rigor here and there, but overall it is at a very low level. We will not be sending our younger child to Lamar, not while that principal is still there.

Posted October 15, 2012
I'm new here this year ! Very crowdy school ... But good We have nice teachers but also really mean ones ... Our Conscellors are present for us and really they do a great job ! But the principal i have never seen him ... It is not a real ghetto school as the reviews says but the teachers are trying really hard ...

Lamar High School
3325 Westheimer Road, Houston, TX  77098
Last modified Lamar High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lamar High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 77 reviews. Top