950 students|Quest Academy

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

What a big mistake this school was all around not only for my career, but for my family as well. First, Q2 is the biggest joke when it comes to an education & making sure your student is ready for high school. In 9th grade, my son was put on IXL Math, (90 mins. each class) to teach them the standards for Secondary Math 1-2. Unfortunately, IXL they were working on 7-8th grade math curriculum. When asked about the core standards that were being taught in our Parent Conference, the Math teacher had no clue what they were. My husband asked for a scope & sequence for what was going to be taught; he couldn't give that either; got all defensive & acted so unprofessional. Next was the ridiculous idea, the same math teacher, could manage a "flipped classroom" approach to teaching. He was more worried about "thoughtful comments" to his videos than actually knowing if the students were understanding the concepts taught. This was just Math. There's not room to tell about the other subjects. We brought these concerns to the Principal at Q2, she refused to acknowledge the issues & look into it further. This began a series hostile, and unprofessional interactions the administration had with us as parents. We pulled our son out, & put him back in Weber County Schools. After 1 term at Quest, he was significantly behind academically. We had to play catch up the entire rest of the year. The State Report Card; is clearly reflective of their lack of instruction. Quest only has 35 students in their 9th grade class, & less than 10% passed the State Math Test. You can use technology as as a tool in teaching but it should never replace the teacher or the instruction at this level of education. Q1 One word for the administration is, incompetent! There was a HUGE turn over in 2014-15 in teachers & student body. Again in 2015, a big exodus in students. This should be a big RED Flag! As an employee, the administration dealt with all issues in a reactive manner.Communication between staff was poor at best; PLC's were a joke. The administration created an atmosphere of mistrust & paranoia between everyone. While the slogan, "It's all about the children" is displayed; IT'S NOT TRUE. It's all about what makes the administration look good to the Board of Directors, which have no checks & balance for misconduct. The board members either work @ Quest or are related to each other.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Homework should be used as a reinforcement of the concepts being taught, not assigned on purpose because students needs to be doing homework. First the teachers have to actually be teaching, not placing their students in front of the computer to have the "Program" teach the skills.

I use to teach at Quest and am now teaching elsewhere due to my husband going to school out of state. I absolutely loved teaching at Quest. I loved the kids, administration, secretaries, etc. I am now teaching at a new school and have realized that schools don't get better than Quest. The administration is wonderful and supportive. The technology integration is amazing, and kids are able to learn regardless of ability. The kids are held to a high standard and expectations are high. I would go back to Quest in a heartbeat if I could!

I went to quest 5-8 grade it is a great school sents I started there my grade average went up 2 it is a great school

Quest was the BEST decision we ever made educationally for our children. I pulled my children from our neighborhood school, Kanesville Elementary for many reasons - among them: Typical district school, cookie cutter same as the rest Typical administration, non caring and non responsive to my concerns Typical district teachers, many past their prime. in fact, when we moved to West Haven, I was warned by my neighbors which teachers to avoid and the list was long! Typical curriculum, one size fits all approach to education, I felt my children were stifled and held back, restricted from reaching their full potential. Terrible parking lot situation. Too small! Quest Academy is just what I was looking for. The faculty, administrators, and staff are caring and do their jobs very well!! When my child got in trouble, I was amazed at how professionally the issue was dealt with, but it was dealt with, they do not brush misbehavior under the rug! I feel my children are safe, and if there are problems, they will be taken care of. I love the teachers at Quest, specifically junior high. I feel Quest has gone the extra mile to earn my support and my trust.

If you are considering placing your child an Quest, it is not worth it. My children went there for a while and our experience was not a good one. While we were there, we saw many students leave the school, as well as teachers. Eventually, we left, too. My children now attend Kanesville Elementary, which has been better in every way. The secretaries are actually nice, and the administration is respectful, and caring. This was not the case at Quest (Dr. Dave, Barlow, & Tippetts are rude and difficult to deal with). Also, we no longer have put up with the horrible parking lot situation at Quest. My children are more challenged now at Kanesville and they actually enjoy school! Honestly, I didn't know what a burden Quest was until we left. We are all much happier now.

We LOVE Quest! Our kids have yet to have a bad day, or a bad teacher. The administration at our school is AMAZING in every way. I have watched my children's test scores soar. They actually enjoy their homework. The learning environment is very controlled, non-chaotic, and peaceful. Bullying is not tolerated. Teachers are friends with and supportive to one another and you can contact them at any time with questions or suggestions. Parents are encouraged to volunteer in the classrooms as well as out of the classroom. I always feel so welcome when I come to the school. The secretaries are also amazing! They let my kids use the phone when they need to call home. They have patched up skinned knees and just listened when a child needs to chat. The Office at Quest is a safe place for them to go. My children are doing things with technology that I never thought possible. The children's needs are put first at our school, everything is based on helping them to succeed, be happy, and most of all feel safe and comfortable. Moving my children to Quest was the best decision we ever made.

This school has been such a great blessing to my family! We decided to pull our child from regular public school due to the district's inability to help our child be more successful academically. We felt that the teacher's hands were tied. It wasn't that he didn't want to help--it's just that the resources weren't there. In two short months, our child is above where she should be. We new we were seeing great leaps academically, but it was nice to have our child's teacher show us data and scores using the same assessments that were used at her previous school. Our child is more confident. In addition to the classroom teacher instructing our child in a small group setting on a daily basis, Quest also offered 30 minutes of tutoring after school! Our child was also offered "intervention" every day. This program provided another small group learning opportunity. Our child no longer needs this resource, as the tutoring and care of the classroom teacher have done their jobs. Quest staff care about students. My spouse and I can't say thank you enough for helping our child.

The best part about choosing Quest for my kiddos is that there has never been a day that either of my children have NOT wanted to go to school. It is such a wonderful feeling as a parent to know that your child enjoys school and feels loved by their teacher. I have never had to fight with them about going to school and if I tell them I will check them out to go anywhere, they do not want to get checked out. Very reassuring as a mom, to know that your children are in a safe and loving environment.

I disagree with the posting regarding administration and staff and Q2. I feel that the school integrates technology and curriculum beautifully!!! I feel this approach is meeting my child's needs far better than a teacher teaching all the students the same thing! My child may be more advanced than other children in the class, but because of the method of teaching being offered is not held back! A teacher is just one aspect of a successful classroom, and I am grateful that Quest Academy has a forward thinking approach to education rather than being stuck in the dark ages. Thanks, teachers and staff at Q2!! Keep up the great work!

Last modified Quest Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.