Arlington, VA

Nottingham Elementary School 2

Posted June 03, 2014
Part 2/2 Tag because it was too violent. Than shadow tag because it was too high paced so it became walking shadow tag. Then people were tagging too hard so they were given pool noodles to tag with. You can guess what happend. This has happend with almost every fun thing they had at this school.March madness was a staff basketball game between another elementry school that the kids would attend. It too became too competitive so they stopped keeping score. This turned into the staff scoring in their own baskets and because that was too competitive it was banned. How is this preparing us for the future when we are trying to get a job thinking that you will get the highest paying job just because someone else has it. All of this is because of the principal. And one last thing. Every Wednesday the kids would get let out of school 1.5 hours early. Now this is to be replaced with Spanish lessons. So in conclusion great school had great teachers (until they all quit because of the principal) and horrible admistration. (Pelosky)

Posted January 28, 2014
My child started kindergarten this year and we were pretty excited about the school. Unfortunately, our experience so far has been pretty "meh." Very average, 3Rs education so far. Not much in the way of themeatic teaching, no science, very little differentiated instruction, weak classroom management. Strong parent involvement. Hope it gets better in first.

Posted October 24, 2013
Nottingham. I am a parent who had doubts about public elementary school. But after all the recommendations and research, I decided to try it out. I am pleasantly surprised what an outstanding school it is. It is a close net community and the educators are thoughtful, well informed,caring, and nurturing. The principal's passion for education, well being of the school and every student in the school is exceptional.

Posted September 11, 2013
Four of my children have attended Nottingham. The first two had a wonderful education with superb teachers. Unfortunately, the best teachers have left, largely due to the micromanaging and unyielding behavior of the principal. The last few teachers assigned to my children have generally been nice enough, but were hardly inspiring, encouraging or creative thinkers. And several of the new hires have actually be rather mean and intolerant, particularly of boys.

Nottingham Elementary School 4

Posted August 11, 2013
As a rather new parent, I was excited about this school based on its rating and reputation but quickly realized that there are inherent problems. 1) There is no supervision at recess and little in the lunch room which has led to some bullying issues. The school insists at PTA meetings that there is no funding to support a new hire for this purpose. They tried to hire Extended Day to help out, but many would never show up. Not acceptable 2) The principal is 'rigid" and rather unfriendly for such a position. I have no doubt this has its effects on morale. I realize people are upset comments about her, but clearly they never had to seek her help with a problem 3) The kids are versed on what bullying is and how to report it, but it still exists, though I have never witnessed it so much in an early education school. I am afraid the school rides on their reputation to a degree. What really drives success in this school is the level of parent involvement and dedication. That is unmatched.

Posted March 02, 2013
My son just graduated from Nottingham last spring. I cannot say enough about this school. We transferred him from a "choice" school in which he was not receiving adequate stimulation and was struggling in some ways. Nearly every teacher who we dealt with at Nottingham was challenging and warm. His fourth grade teacher was a saint who helped us to identify our son's ADHD issues and begin to work with him. The administration (in particular, the asst principal) was very supportive in helping us to work through his issues. The principal has very high standards and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I believe that she is effective. Nottingham is the best thing that ever happened to our son.

Posted October 20, 2012
Fantastic school and a great principal! I've read all the reviews on this website that consistently bash Nottingham's principal, but it leads me to wonder that the school probably does as well as it does because of the administrative staff---including the principal. This school runs like a well-oiled machine, and the counselors, administration and teachers are top notch! As a military family we couldn't be more pleased to have wound up at Nottingham.

Posted May 16, 2012
The school has a great reputation but I have a concern that the school is riding a bit on it. We have been made aware of several instances of bullying that have been seemingly to brushed under the rug. These are instances reported to me/us by our child, other children and other parents. Kids may not be getting beaten up on the playground, but Nottingham needs to broaden their understanding of bullying, in my opinion. Extreme cliques, shoving in the hallways, name calling and etc seem to be par for the course, sadly. This is all "normal" kid stuff, I suppose, but the best of the best should have a zero tolerance policy that is strictly enforced.

Nottingham Elementary School 4

Posted May 16, 2012
Zero tolerance strictly enforced is the absolutely worst way to go. And can be considered the lazy way out. Zero tolerance leads to good kids who make a poor decision kicked out of school and arrested for having an aspirin in their book bag. A student pushes another student can simply be a disagreement handled poorly- a teachable moment. Not necessarily a criminal bullying act.

Posted March 22, 2012
Nottingham is an amazing learning community with involved parents, engaged and happy kids and fabulous teachers who really care about the kids. The staff and administrators are supportive and helpful. There are amazing programs for every interest and special need, and the school has a wonderful spirit of fun. The after school enrichment options are diverse and creative - everything from sports to arts to science and more. The PTA is super active and all levels of participation are appreciated. We have been a Nottingham family for 5 years and we highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great elementary education experience for their children.

Nottingham Elementary School
5900 Little Falls Road, Arlington, VA  22207
Last modified Nottingham Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nottingham Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top