Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Posted July 21, 2016
My daughter is starting the 5th grade this year and I have been so happy with OLES. The professional staff, administration, active PTA, and extracurricular offerings are all fantastic.

Ocean Lakes Elementary School 2

Posted March 17, 2016
Not a great experience thus far and we just started this school. Good is that the PTA is good and the special teachers like gym, art and music ect are very well liked by the kids. Cons are the administration doesn't seem to be very professional or educated in their profession. Over all the school needs to work on better communication and friendliness. There are far better schools in the area and if you are thinking about moving to Ocean Lakes and have children in elementary maybe look at the other schools in the vicinity. I only wish we would have taken heed to the other reviews as now that I am living here, I understand.

Posted August 24, 2015
Wonderful school with wonderful teachers. The PTA is very involved with parents and with events at the school.

Posted July 03, 2014
Love this school! One of the best schools my children have ever been too! Teachers are hard working and on top of their students. The staff all know me by name even though I am not a regular at the school. I highly recommend this school!

Posted July 03, 2014
Great school, my children learned a lot and had great experiences. The teachers and staff were all very polite and helpful.

Ocean Lakes Elementary School 3

Posted September 20, 2013
My kids attend OLES. I feel this school, as well as all other schools in VA, are limited due to intense focus on the SOLs. They tout academic excellence, perhaps in regional perspective they are above average. I can't count how many times I've heard one of the teachers say, "well, we can't do that because its not on the SOLs. They don't need to learn that..." The school emphasizes teaching to the lowest common denominator. As for issues with staff, administration... Dr. Linda Reese, the new principal, is my all-time favorite educator. She is FANTASTIC and genuinely cares for the education and well being of EVERY child. Unfortunately she can't be everywhere all the time, so old habits creep back into existence. Since she has taken the position at OLES I have seen improvement overall with curriculum emphasis and teachers. I am so sick of the way the children are treated in the cafeteria. They are barked at, the lights are turned off and the children forced to eat in dark silence when it's too noisy. I have also witnessed a class compelled to walk through the hallway with one hand over their mouth and the other in the air forming a peace sign. I hope I never see that again.

Posted September 04, 2013
I was hesitant on sending my child to OLES after reading some of the earlier reviews. I must say, I LOVE this school and so does my son. Our experience from registration to class room and teacher involvement is top notch. Great job to the front office and the everyday heroes, our Teachers. Proud Parent of a First Grader

Posted September 03, 2013
I have two sons. They are 14 and 7. Both attended/ attend Ocean Lakes Elementary and I can't say enough about how wonderful everyone is there. Year after year, it has been fantastic. Teachers, staff, etc.

Posted July 25, 2013
My child attends Ocean Lakes Elementary. He had an amazing experience in Kindergarten and loved school.OLES has top notch teachers and administrative staff. My sons teacher was always there to communicate with any concerns I had during the year. Most importantly this teacher made a big impact on my sons life. She was very patient with him and always encouraged him to do his best. The principal, assistant principal and student support team is AMAZING. I can't thank my sons teachers, Speech Therapists and Administrative team enough for all their dedication with all students at OLES. Its important for parents to get involved with the schools activities, PTA and take time to be apart of your child(s) classroom too.

Posted February 09, 2012
This is our 3rd year at OLES and I can definitely say that with our new principal, OLES is 10 times better that the last 2 years. I can only imagine it going up from here. Teachers are caring, staff is going the extra mile and I am pleased with the effort, it is certainly paying off.

Ocean Lakes Elementary School
1616 Upton Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23454
Last modified Ocean Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.