Posted July 03, 2014
Love this school! One of the best schools my children have ever been too! Teachers are hard working and on top of their students. The staff all know me by name even though I am not a regular at the school. I highly recommend this school!

Posted July 03, 2014
Great school, my children learned a lot and had great experiences. The teachers and staff were all very polite and helpful.

Ocean Lakes Elementary School 3

Posted September 20, 2013
My kids attend OLES. I feel this school, as well as all other schools in VA, are limited due to intense focus on the SOLs. They tout academic excellence, perhaps in regional perspective they are above average. I can't count how many times I've heard one of the teachers say, "well, we can't do that because its not on the SOLs. They don't need to learn that..." The school emphasizes teaching to the lowest common denominator. As for issues with staff, administration... Dr. Linda Reese, the new principal, is my all-time favorite educator. She is FANTASTIC and genuinely cares for the education and well being of EVERY child. Unfortunately she can't be everywhere all the time, so old habits creep back into existence. Since she has taken the position at OLES I have seen improvement overall with curriculum emphasis and teachers. I am so sick of the way the children are treated in the cafeteria. They are barked at, the lights are turned off and the children forced to eat in dark silence when it's too noisy. I have also witnessed a class compelled to walk through the hallway with one hand over their mouth and the other in the air forming a peace sign. I hope I never see that again.

Posted September 04, 2013
I was hesitant on sending my child to OLES after reading some of the earlier reviews. I must say, I LOVE this school and so does my son. Our experience from registration to class room and teacher involvement is top notch. Great job to the front office and the everyday heroes, our Teachers. Proud Parent of a First Grader

Posted September 03, 2013
I have two sons. They are 14 and 7. Both attended/ attend Ocean Lakes Elementary and I can't say enough about how wonderful everyone is there. Year after year, it has been fantastic. Teachers, staff, etc.

Posted July 25, 2013
My child attends Ocean Lakes Elementary. He had an amazing experience in Kindergarten and loved school.OLES has top notch teachers and administrative staff. My sons teacher was always there to communicate with any concerns I had during the year. Most importantly this teacher made a big impact on my sons life. She was very patient with him and always encouraged him to do his best. The principal, assistant principal and student support team is AMAZING. I can't thank my sons teachers, Speech Therapists and Administrative team enough for all their dedication with all students at OLES. Its important for parents to get involved with the schools activities, PTA and take time to be apart of your child(s) classroom too.

Posted February 09, 2012
This is our 3rd year at OLES and I can definitely say that with our new principal, OLES is 10 times better that the last 2 years. I can only imagine it going up from here. Teachers are caring, staff is going the extra mile and I am pleased with the effort, it is certainly paying off.

Posted January 20, 2012
Prior to my submission I read over the reviews of others. I was quite suprised to see a few bad reviews, but of course those were outdated and posted prior to my children attending OLES. I have two children who attend this school currently. We have been located here for 2 years since my oldest was in 2nd grade. I can only convey to you my experiences, but overall they have been great. In 2nd grade there were isolated problems only pertaining to the teacher resulting in children being placed in other classrooms and 2 parents withdrawling their children from the school. That teacher is no longer there. I assume she finally retired. The PTA was great, great programs, and great principal. During 3rd grade the teachers were fabulous! I couldn't sing their praises enough. The same thing with 4th grade, I couldn't sing their praises enough. With my second child they had a great teacher in Kindergarten and this year in 1st grade as well.

Posted June 13, 2011
I have two children who have attended OLES and I cannot imagine them going to school anywhere else. The teaching staff and administrative staff have been very caring and pass on postive instruction. Both of my children LOVE school and it's all because of OLES. They have not only gained a high quality education, but they have learned leadershiop skills, social skills, and good discipline. Technology plays a wondeful part in their education here!!! It's a safe place to spend their days, which is very important to me, as a parent. Security is paramount! My children have been well prepared for middle school and being model citizens. We have always felt like family here and love our school. Waveriders Rock!

Ocean Lakes Elementary School 1

Posted July 17, 2010
My daughter attended this school and I must say that I am very displeased. The my daughter was in the third grade. During our short time there, her teacher stated that she might be ADHD, she was non-cooperative in school, and various of other things. They had me so dumb-founded that I took my daughter to her pediatrician to be checked. The pediatrician disagreed with the teachers. I quickly dis-enrolled my daughter from Ocean Lakes and enrolled her into another elementary school. By doing that, it was a world of difference. My daughter grades went up. She continued on the the fourth grade and made honor roll throughout the entire school year. She is going to the fifth grade with flying colors. It appears that the teacher did not have patience and/or lacked teaching skills. The worst part of this story is that the principal and guidance stood behind this teacher.

Ocean Lakes Elementary School
1616 Upton Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23454
Last modified Ocean Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean Lakes Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top