Sammamish, WA
Students enrolled: 1,969

Skyline High School 5

Posted October 23, 2013
Had to reply, as it seems a lot of the information is old on this website. Skyline does have many students who come from an upper-middle class family. They also have many who do not. But there are also many kids who have great hearts, irregardless of their financial circumstances. This is not a school where students can easily "slide by," and budget cuts have limited some of the variety of curriculum. One of the biggest complaints from my student was requiring so much PE credits even for students who have a school sport. I think they may be "preaching to the choir" here. But that is a district, versus a school decision and I am not sure serves the students well when it prevents them from taking other career-exploration electives that they could take. Principal Hechtman truly cares for all of her students...no complaints there at all!

Skyline High School 1

Posted February 13, 2013
I am former graduate of skyline high school and can say that it s a miserable place if you don t fit in. It all depends on who you are, where you re from, and how much money you have. The students have a really nasty attitude towards minorities as well. I used to be in sports and the team members really didn t support each other as a team and even excluded some of their minority members. It s not a very diverse school unless whites and Asians are diverse enough for you. I would not recommend this school to anyone who is not white or Asian. I guarantee you won t make many or no friends at all. The environment is a hostile one as well. The students are very cliquish and they do all kinds of nasty things to each other. The environment is very competitive for a high school and there is a lot of pressure to fit in with the kids who are rich. As a minority with a disability I am not satisfied with the students or teachers.

Posted July 27, 2012
This school is great if your student is a star athlete or Ivy League bound. If your student does not fit into this category look at Issaquah or Liberty High. The teachers and attitude are better than at Skyline.

Posted October 19, 2011
Very rigorous courses. Way too much emphasis put on athletics to the detriment of other programs. As a parent, be prepared to be your child's only advocate is this is a large and impersonal school. Very cliquey and very spoiled kids. Your child will do well here if they are either very gifted academically and can tolerate the nasty kids or talented athletically. Please do not use my email.

Posted May 16, 2011
As I parent I am distressed to see the lack of fun and joyfulness in the students eyes, though it could be the lack of sleep they get. I think parents perhaps have set too great of expectations for our children and the students in turn feel a sense of competitiveness that doesn't allow for good friendships or the enjoyment of school in an atmosphere of brotherhood and sisterhood. The kids appear competitive, unsharing and unhelpful toward each other, even to the point of guarding their friendships from others. In this environment we will possibly have smart kids, yes, but quite possibly they will fail to learn the qualities that make them decent human beings. My child feels there are very few genuinely friendly students at SHS. It's such a shame. Please don't use my email address.

Skyline High School 2

Posted April 15, 2011
If you don't have money and I mean lots of Money your kid will not fit into the Peer groups here. I finally had to transfer my child to another high shool because of it. The kids compete socially by seeing who can drive the most expensive car to school. My child saw a lot of drug usage as well. The athletes are put on a pedestal at this school and are allowed to slide through classes academically. If you care about your kid and are middle income send them elsewhere Like I did.

Skyline High School 1

Posted March 27, 2011
I am a junior at Washington State this year, and i did not feel prepared for college. Instead, I felt left behind when I attended Skyline. Students can brag about their school all they want, but this is one that I would never send my children to. I hope that Skyline will turn for the better in the future, but I dont see that happening.

Skyline High School 2

Posted March 05, 2011
Skyline lacks key qualities to make it even a fraction enjoyable. The other students are terrible. They know that their parents make triple what any teacher there makes so they feel superior, and the teachers unfortunately accept that. On to the topic of teachers. As a sophomore I have had only 1 teacher in the past 2 years that have cared about the students, and really care about their jobs. The classes , are designed for college level students. I would consider myself an average student, not that smart, but definitely not dumb. I could say truthfully that I struggle in every class that I am in. Now, skyline prides itself in being a "challenging" school, but for me to be STRUGGLING in every class, is completely unacceptable. The athletics are all based around football, which is quite frustrating coming from a volleyball player. The football players are also put on a pedestal and their academic infractions are almost always overlooked. My point here is not to vent about my teenage issues as a high schooler, but to bring up serious problems that are very present everyday in the halls, and classrooms of skyline high school.

Skyline High School 5

Posted March 21, 2010

Skyline High School 4

Posted June 05, 2009
As I student I can honestly say Skyline is a stressful place to be. I am currently a Junior (only 8 more days!) and this has been the hardest year for me. The teachers varry from exceptional to poor depending on the subject. Though the school is difficult I do feel it will pre-pair me for college. My older sister, who is attending UW currently as a junior, said Skyline is harder than college. If you are willing to stick it out, the reward is worth it.

Skyline High School
1122 228th Ave SE, Sammamish, WA  98075
Last modified Skyline High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Skyline High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top