1-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I love my boys' teachers. I will say that in Montessori since it is student centered instead of teacher centered you don't have to have the "perfect" teacher for your child to thrive. However, having said that I still have been very impressed and happy.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is not given besides spelling words to practice. At first I didn't like this and thought my kids would fall behind. Boy, have I changed my perspective! I know my boys are way ahead of traditional education and they do zero homework (I had my kids tested to confirm this). Instead we are free as a family to make dinner together, build forts outside, ride bikes, play sports, collect rocks, do chores, design our "dream" house, etc. My kids are just allowed to be kids and they gain far more knowledge then if they were filling out worksheets.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are encouraged to solve their own problems with guidance from adults. This includes regular community meetings that are lead by students. At these meetings students can bring up topics and problems and discuss ways together on how to solve them.

Our two boys have thrived here. They are learning and practicing executive decision making every day in this environment where they are in charge of motivating and challenging themselves (although contrary to some beliefs Montessori does hold them accountable). They have a hunger to learn and a zest for knowledge that is feed in this school. It is also a warm and caring environment where the students are surrounded by nurturing adults.

I think this is the best school. Everyone one there is very friendly and caring. All the teachers and adults know all the kids. They teach my children amazing things. I can't believe all the great knowledge they are gaining everyday. I can't say enough positive things about this school. I wish I could go to school here.

My daughter has been in the Montessori environment from 15 months on. The independent thinking, fostering of individual responsibility and creativity is blossoming daily. I love the environment she is learning in and the fact that my kid loves to go to school.

Our family has been at Cascadia for 6 years. I can't imagine being anywhere else. We thought after 3rd grade we'd move on to public school but we became part of the family and we didn't want to leave. The parent connection is amazing, the connection between student and teacher becomes a strong bond and the communication between the school and the home is always welcomed and appreciated. Our daughter feels comfortable speaking in front of the class, enjoys working in groups, fulfills her role in the classroom in helping the younger students with simple questions. She truly has been "guided" through 6 years of superior education and there is no doubt that this school and the Montessori education it provides has given her invaluable experiences.

Amount of homework: Agree

Spelling and reading are the only homework given to my elementary age students. Its purpose is to help build responsibility and respect for a due date. The spelling is usually completed on the way home from school and reading is encouraged before bed. This enables my children to play outside when they get home from school. It also gives them time to explore activities outside of the school environment like piano and swimming. However, most importantly, it gives them family time and time to just be a kid.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers have taught my kids to be creative, to be curious, and to learn from their mistakes.

Amount of homework: Agree

Children in many traditional public schools are given too much homework which puts undue stress on the child and parents.

Last modified Cascadia School is a Private school that serves grades 1-8