Kennesaw Charter Science & Math Academy

Charter | K-6 | 920 students

Our school is best know for its culture of community and parent support

Posted November 30, 2010

So glad we found this school. I love the learning environment they create for the kids. The teachers do a lot of hands on learning, which I really believe helps the kids lock in the concepts much better than just pencil and paper learning. Teachers are enthusiastic and really seem to connect to each kid with their optimal learning style and their individual level. Every child is challenged to reach their highest potential. I feel like the are really working to teach the material and not just teach to the CRCT test. Class sizes are reasonable. My son has 14 kids in his class, my daughter has about 20. I love that everyone knows all the kids. They aren't just a number here, and that shows.

Posted November 25, 2010

No school is perfect for absolutely everyone, but KCSMA is a terrific option for a lot of us! I resent the implication that the only people who feel this is a 5-star school are board members and school employees. I am neither and I'm happy with our KCSMA experience. My child is happy and thriving. For anyone considering KCSMA, look at the test scores, visit the school for a tour, talk to parents and teachers and get a feel for the reality of KCSMA. I volunteer often and am active in the new PTO. I've witnessed Mrs. Frey interacting with students and teachers often. It is clear that the staff has more respect for her than they have had for any other principal and that speaks volumes to me. I have a very high level of confidence in the people steering the school right now. I firmly believe that while I'm happy now, the best is yet to come, and come it will! There are 500+ kids at KCSMA and I would wager that there are far more happy parents than there are disgruntled parents.

Posted November 25, 2010

If you are looking for a school that will provide enrichment in math and science curriculum, maintain reasonable class sizes, where learning is made to be fun and that has a great community feel, then this is the place for you. If you are looking for somewhere that caters to every whim of parents and allows parents to push teachers and administration around to the detriment of other students in their child's class, then keep looking. Charters mean parents have more involvement and the stakeholders (staff & parents) have more input. Charters don't mean parents can demand that their child receive special treatment just because. Unfortunately there are parents who believe that they can run the show, even when what they are demanding would be detrimental to other kids in the classroom. When they don't get what they want, it isn't because Mrs. Frey or the teacher is looking out for the best interest of ALL students in the class, but because she is not effective as a principal and/or teacher. As a parent I am thankful that we have a leader, and teachers, willing to stand up to parents who are in effect attempting to bully their way into getting what they want.

Posted November 23, 2010

It is apparent that the Administration, the Board, and the teachers who have no supervision or quidance is pushing the 5 star ratings on this school! This school is not what is use to be! Yes the school is growing because alot of parent were afraid of the growth in class sizes implemented by this school year. So, let's not make excuses to justify the lack of structure, organization, and academic excellent this school currently presents. DO NOT ENROLL IN KCSMA! You are better off having your child attend the school he or she is zoned for.....

Posted November 23, 2010

Again! This charter school is no greater than the regular Cobb county public Schools. Actually, I think most of the Cobb county public schools are performing better than KCSMA. If nothing else the principal is involved and visiting the classrooms daily. By the way, I was a very involved parent in the office and classrooms. I could not take another minute of this administration. Mrs. Frey spends the majority of her day in her office. Yes she greets some of the students, however, I can assure you that she does not know or interact with the students like the past principal's of KCS. By the way, we are no longer at KCSMA and my child is happy, excited, and continues to make A's that I know he has earned! THE BEST DECISION WE COULD HAVE MADE! I'm ashame to say my child attended KCS/KCSMA and my tax dollars were used for such poor education...........

Posted November 22, 2010

The number of students who attend Kennesaw has grown by a hundred since last year. Scores are better than county scores, they hired teachers galore this year while everyone else was making cuts. This school is going places. Sounds like anyone who is not ready to roll up their sleeves, and work with us towards the vision and goals for our childrens' success, needs to move on. I'm too busy working with my students' teachers and school leader to get bogged down in petty parent complaints from those who'd rather watch and gripe, than put some time and effort into their children's future. KCSMA is growing and excelling. This little Charter school is setting the bar high!

Posted November 22, 2010

We have seen this school go through many challenges in the past few years. Finally they are heading in the right direction! This year, so far, and last year there is a sense of vision among the staff. Our child is enjoying the creative lessons. We are enjoying the consistency in behavioral and academic expectations. For parents who want their children to learn independance, responsibility and self-confidence, this is the place for you. Those parents who are not willing to participate in their student's school experience, or who spend all their time blaming others for their kid's low grades or poor behavior, better move on to a school with lower expectations. We are very happy here.

Posted November 22, 2010

Former enrollment woman, former front desk woman, and former admin hag have all moved on, followed old principal to differentschool but are bitter enough to leave bad reviews on this site. we all know who they are, don't pay attention to them.

Posted November 21, 2010

What possible hidden agenda can an elementary school have? This isn't Pinky and the Brain. They can not conquer the world. They can't even turn a profit! My experience with the principal has shown her to be open minded, intelligent and absolutely more "plugged in" to the staff and community than any we had in the last 5 years. I've been impressed with teachers as well. My son's math teacher has called my wife and I both to talk about what we can do to help with math. He does tutoring after schooland sends emails as he grades tests and quizzes to tell us, and our son, how proud he is of our son's improvement. Any parent who can't see an effort being made to help children excel in math and science clearly isn't paying attention. Changes like math journals, hands on science activities and Brainstorm are just a few examples. My sons look forward to Brainstorm days and what I hear described is a fun-based focus on critical thinking skills, math & science. Check the difference in science and math test scores between KCSMA and Cobb Co for 3rd- 5th grades. This is the school to watch. If you aren't happy, step aside because there are others waiting for your spot!

Posted November 21, 2010

When there is change on the horizon, stress abounds. With a new school building in the works and the recent addition of 6th grade to KCSMA, this has been a busy year for 2nd year (at KCSMA) Principal Kay Frey. As a parent of a 6th grader who has been at this school since 1st grade, I could not be more pleased with how Mrs.Frey is handling the changes. I am a regular volunteer on campus and see her actively involved in nearly every aspect of the school. Her involvement promotes a great school climate and from what I see, teachers and students who want to be there and are eager to learn. As a former educator, I have never observed such an involved administrator. Maybe some parents don't realize what type of time and attention are given to parents of students in traditional public schools, but there is no comparison; it could take 2 weeks to get an appointment with a principal. I am thankful to be a part of such a great school.

Posted November 21, 2010

I would like to know what the hidden agenda is? My child has been at this school for 5 years and I must admit that academically things are not where they should be. I continue to supplement at home for their lack of teaching. They rush kids thru subjects, do not follow up with parents when they see children operating outside of their norm. For a science and math academy, there is little interest or effort being made to have kids excel in either one of those subjects. I know a new building is coming but lets concentrate on teaching the kids.

Posted November 21, 2010

I too would love to know what the "hidden agenda" is. I have had SEVERAL one on one meetings with the principal since enrolling my son last year. I've never been closed out and pushed aside. I might be told that she can't meet with me that very second because she is in a classroom, or in a meeting, or is meeting with another parent but I was never told that she had no interest in meeting with me. Mrs. Frey is in the hallway every single morning as kids are walking to the morning meeting. I volunteer in the mornings and have seen her every single time. She's waving, saying hello, etc. Again... I don't understand how in the world anyone could ever say that Mrs. Frey wasn't available. Maybe it's one of those parents who hasn't stepped foot in the school? I am extremely excited about the new location, new building, and increased technology. The fact that Imagine is gone alone meant that the charter was renewed and the school keeps 100% of the funding coming into the school. How are those bad things?

Posted November 21, 2010

As a teacher at KCSMA, I can honestly say that the two negative reviews written in the last few days are complete fabrications. The current principal, Mrs. Frey, is more involved with parents and with staff than any of her predecessors. I had to laugh out loud at the idea that she has a closed door policy! When I first started at KCS, the principal at the time had a sign on the door about the 500 mile rule; if you wouldn t walk 500 miles to tell her whatever it is you have to say, she didn t want to hear it! The principal before Mrs. Frey instructed staff to keep the office door closed, blinds shut and to actually lock parents out of the building! All of that changed on Mrs. Frey s 1st day. We have partnerships with KSU professors who come in regularly to work with the staff on math instruction and another who comes in to work with us on the discipline program and we have a partnership with the Georgia Youth Science Center at KSU. No other school out there has this level of staff development. I ve never worked for a more dedicated principal or with a harder working group of teachers. I m proud to be a part of KCSMA!

Posted November 21, 2010

No effort to make sure kids are excelling in science and math? People, don't take the word of an anonymous reviewer here, check the actual FACTS. Go to the County or State web sites and compare the scores. Mrs. Frey took over last year and started moving KCSMA to a science and math school. GA tests for science starting in the 3rd grade. The test scores don't lie. spring 2010 Science CRCT Scores: KCSMA 3rd grade 90% (state average 80%), KCSMA 4th 98% (state avg 80%), KCSMA 5th 94% (state avg 77%) 2010 Math CRCT scores: KCSMA 4th 91% (state avg 77%), KCSMA 5th 98% (state avg 82%) Clearly KCSMA is doing something right! Keep up the good work!

Posted November 19, 2010

The new school board and principal at this school does not express or demonstration an interest in educating our future leaders of tomorrow. The principal has a closed door policy! She does not interact with the students and spends the majority of her day in the office. Have you ever seen a school where the prinicpal does not visit classrooms. Therefore, some of the teachers are during the bare minimal to educate our leaders of tomorrow. Reports have been made about teachers teaching for a small fraction of the time and on the computer the majority of the time during instructional time or sitting at their desk. Nothing has or will be done because the prinicipal is not held accoutnable for her action therefore, she does not hold the staff/teacher's accountable. So RUN don't enroll in this school!

Posted October 13, 2010

I love this school because of the brain based learning style used. They support and love our kids and the whole team works together to create an environment the kids can thrive in!

Posted October 3, 2010

Love it! The only thing I don't like is the building this school is housed in and that is only temporary. Last week the plans and location for a new school building were announced and they are amazing! The school has science labs, a nature preserve with nature trails, huge outdoor spaces with outdoor classrooms and everything. I can't wait! This year I tell myself I bring my kids here for what happens in the classroom, not for what the classroom and buildings look like. It will be amazing when the quality of the building matches the quality of the education.

Posted August 7, 2010

This is a great school w/ a real sense of community and family that excels in nurturing the best out of all of its students. It 's a true learning environment as confirmed by the test scores. Parental involvement is part of what makes it work. If you want to drop your child off somewhere for daycare - then this isn't the place for you. What I have found so interesting is that the few negative reviews listed here are to the far extreme. To me that says a lot - I guess you can't please everyone. We have been with the school for 4 full years with two children, who both started there right after aboout 3 years of Montessori. KCSMA provided a seemless transition with each child working to an individually designed learning plan developed collaboratively with teacher and parent. Facilities are meager, but a new bldg. is coming.

Posted August 3, 2010

This is my 4th year teaching at Kennesaw Charter and I am more excited than ever about the start of a school year! Mrs. Frey is a wonderful leader and has done a great job of creating a real community at KCSMA. The staff is truly engaged and focused on increasing student achievement and making learning fun. Board members are dedicated, involved and have the best interest of the kids and teachers always in mind. Families are actively involved in the school. Moving to a new building next year is only going to make a great school even better. We can't wait!

Posted May 21, 2010

Class sizes are going up everywhere else but are going down at Kennesaw Charter! Couldn't ask for a better school. Faculty and staff genuinely care about student success. Teachers don't 'teach to the test' but rather teach to the standards and know that will take care of the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 51%N/A51%
Female 49%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kay Frey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• science and math
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Walmart

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Robotics club
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year