GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to unlock educational opportunities for their child and support stronger schools in their community. Our award-winning website, GreatSchools.org, has over 40 million unique visitors each year, sharing profiles of almost 200,000 schools, over a million ratings and reviews, and thousands of research-based articles, videos, and other content to help parents support their children’s learning.
GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to unlock educational opportunities for their child. Our website reaches half of all families in the U.S. with school-age children, as well as many teachers and education leaders. We are a small but mighty cross-functional team who care deeply about the diverse audiences we serve. We value and support each other and share a commitment to continuing to learn, grow, and improve together and as individuals.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to help support our Engineering team by producing high-quality, maintainable code and responsive web interfaces. If you are a collaborative, problem solver with a passion for code and social impact, then this is the job for you.
This position reports to the Software Engineering Manager. It is a full time, exempt position located in Oakland, CA (currently remote due to COVID-19).
- Full-stack Ruby on Rails development
- Participate in the continued development of the GreatSchools.org website
- Work closely with engineering management, systems administration, and product management to guide features from inception to release
- Participate in frequent code reviews
- Professional Ruby on Rails web programming experience (two years preferred but not required)
- Experience in using React JS framework
- Responsive design: HTML, CSS, Sass, Bootstrap, etc.
- Automated testing via RSpec
- Git or similar version control system
- MySQL and ORM tools like ActiveRecord
- Test-driven development and agile methodologies
- Must possess high level of enthusiasm and be a strong team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively within an Agile scrum team
- You are inspired by GreatSchools’ mission
- You are committed to advancing equity and inclusion both within the organization and for the audiences we serve
- Have an intimate knowledge of full stack web development best practices and have demonstrable experience taking significant projects from spec to release
- Have a strong customer focus and the ability to build solutions quickly and of high quality
- Enjoy working on a team of passionate engineers in a collaborative Agile scrum environment
- Have are a proactive, team player with a positive work ethic
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this position ranges from $100,000-$115,000 dependent on experience. In addition to salary, we also provide competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, as well as a retirement plan with employer match. Additionally, GreatSchools offers generous PTO + sick leave, thirteen paid holidays annually, along with a paid four-week sabbatical every five years.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter along with your résumé. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
Senior Digital Editor
GreatSchools is looking for a collaborative digital editor and multimedia content producer with passion for equity in K-12 education and experience in education, parenting, or child development. Your work will help create and distribute digital content and tools that support millions of families, policymakers, and educators across the United States. This full-time position reports to the VP, Editorial Director.
- Write, research, and edit articles, and email newsletters for parents and educators
- Produce podcasts for parents including script writing, pre-production, researching, reporting, and audio editing
- Collaborate on UX writing for school information pages
- Oversee multifaceted editorial projects with various collaborators from inside and outside the organization, including product designers, partner organizations, academic researchers, data analysts and engineers
- Create and implement content marketing strategies to distribute content through media partnerships, online school information pages, email and social networks
- Collaborate on development of video series including creative direction and scriptwriting.
- Work collaboratively with various departments (external affairs, design, product, data science) to develop strong educational content for parents, educators, partner organizations, and policymakers
- Copyedit and fact check articles, grants, videos, methodology documents, etc
- Provide production support for WordPress-based CMS, including publishing and SEO
- Great writer and editor – with excellent narrative and service reporting skills and short form UX writing skills
- Podcast producer with experience in research, reporting, recording, scripting and editing
- Creative direction for video production, including ideation, research and script writing
- Knowledge of user experience best practices. Able to use analytics to measure and guide content
- Creative thinker with new ideas about how to distribute content, reach parents and deliver on the GreatSchools mission
- Highly organized, technically savvy and able to use collaborative tools to organize and complete projects on deadline
Subject matter expertise
- Expertise in K-12 education, developmental psychology or parenting with an understanding of issues in K-12 public education
- Strong understanding of equity, diversity and inclusion principles in the K-12 system, including the potential and challenges of current education data, accountability practices, and pedagogical approaches
- Understanding of common parent and student challenges and needs, especially those of underserved families
- Versatile in collaborative online tools such as Google suite (docs, sheets, slides), Asana, Slack, Figma and WordPress CMS
Other skills a plus
- Fluent in Spanish (verbal and written)
- Education data analysis
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. This position can be on-site at our office in Oakland, CA or remote.
Remote within the US, or Oakland, CA
When deemed safe by health standards, you may need to travel 1-2 times per quarter (2-4 day trips) to partner institutions, convenings and meetings across the country. When safe, periodic travel (2-3 times per year) to Oakland, CA will be necessary.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements and a writing sample, along with your résumé. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. Résumés without cover letters, salary requirements, and writing samples will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
GreatSchools team members are diverse in all ways. We are committed to hiring talented staff who reflect the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve and who believe in supporting all parents, especially those who have been historically underserved. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to considering applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
To inquire about positions with schools or school districts, please contact them directly using the information featured on their individual profile pages. Click here to locate a specific school or school district in the region of your choice.