Public charter
Minneapolis, MN

Woodson Institute For Excellence Ch
Develops respect: Neutral

Posted July 27, 2015
Some kids are very disrespectful but usually it changes unless they're parents are also disrespectful.

Posted July 27, 2015
The staff are extremely committed to the students and parents. Most schools would turn their back on some of the problems that happen. Some people don't like that. It's not perfect and I've had to discuss my disagreements, but they're always willing to listen and work with you. If you have an imperfect kid that you want to see succeed and not get judged send them here.

Posted August 17, 2014
WISE is an Oxymoron....most staff and parent reviews over the past few years show terrible outcomes for all students. Several years a go the school was not paying their vendors for service and food, the state health department came in and found serious issues during the year they moved to a new site. If you want your child to have a decent future, then you would be wise to look elsewhere where academics of reading and math take priority.

Posted August 08, 2014
WISE charter school/ aka Carter G. Woodsen Academy is a failing school in North Minneapolis that continues to stay open although the school is constant violent turmoil. The students are out of control, the teachers are powerless, and the director turns a blind eye to it all and instead blames the teachers and the parents. MN department of education- wake up and realize that just becaue they changed their name and moved location, does not mean they have changed anything going on inside the school. The school should be shut down and the kids should be moved to various schools around the city. Schools that ARE succeeding, schools where they will be given a chance.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 28, 2014
This school has a lot of good things going on for students. It's a shame that disgruntled teachers cannot appreciate the cultural focus of the school. They try really hard to teach kids about themselves and to connect them with the community. I really like that. Parents are welcomed and my son made a lot of progress this year, and he can't wait until school starts back up. They need more black teachers because some of the white one's just don't get it. The buses were a big problem this year, but it got better.

Posted November 28, 2012
I would never send my child back to this school EVER. It was the worst mistake I as parent made. My child was there only for 6 months and it was hell the whole time. The bus company skipped my son's stop and then tried to blame it on him when it was really there fault. The staff and the prinicpal are very rude to parents as well as students, if you are not and invoved parent your child will be left in the dark as far a learning. This school should be closed and never allowed to re open, the WORST school I have ever delt with. Do not send your kids here there are WAY better schools out there. Do not let the so called "great circiculm " fool you this is the worst school ever.

Posted July 25, 2011
I am surprised to read the positive reviews on this board. This school is a school in a state of chaos and disarray. The behavior issues presented at this school are uncontrolled and extreme; thus creating an unsafe environment. The administration is uneducated and unqualified for their roles and there is a lack of support for parents, students and staff. The teachers are overwhelmed with requirements that lead to extra work with little to no results. In addition to all of the, the school of thought on which the school is based creates a culture of discrimination, exclusion and racism. I would never consider sending my child to this school and I hope you do the same.

Woodson Institute For Excellence Ch 5

Posted March 24, 2009
I have loved this school from the time my child started. Parents are invited to be involved and one of the things I love is that they are not more concerned with money then they are my child. My child is not left behind. This school recognizes the importance of the education of African American males and provides me and my child with the support we both need!

Woodson Institute For Excellence Ch 5

Posted August 18, 2008
What an excellent school! They are a 5 star in my book!

Posted December 09, 2005
WISE does an excellent job of making learning fun and creating an inviting environment for parents to be involved. The only struggle balancing the needs of the students especially boys.

Woodson Institute For Excellence Ch
1501 Aldrich Ave North, Minneapolis, MN  55411
Last modified Woodson Institute For Excellence Ch is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodson Institute For Excellence Ch Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top